fuel mileage

scottf

hi ive had my kxr 2w/d for over year have always averaged 11s on the display but just got car serviced now im constantly doing 13.2 any ideas ?

Same thing happened to me but I changed oil type as well, and put it down to that.

hi ive had my kxr 2w/d for over year have always averaged 11s on the display but just got car serviced now im constantly doing 13.2 any ideas ?

Same thing happened to me but I changed oil type as well, and put it down to that.

Just put new tyres on my KXR and it went from 10.3 to 11.3. Not quite sure why, maybe the oil-pipe? :P

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

My Kluger Kxr is now a month old, Most times it reads 9.6 to 10.2 depending on the amount of lights I have to stop at.

I have not fully tested it out as yet, but I am getting over 600 ks around Adelaide with air con on.

Tomorrow it is going in for it's first check up, so we will see if anything changes.

Peter

My Kluger Kxr is now a month old, Most times it reads 9.6 to 10.2 depending on the amount of lights I have to stop at.

I have not fully tested it out as yet, but I am getting over 600 ks around Adelaide with air con on.

Tomorrow it is going in for it's first check up, so we will see if anything changes.

Peter

!!!! something wrong with me . mine is one month old and average is 13 ~ 14 city driving using premium 98

Peter

!!!! something wrong with me . mine is one month old and average is 13 ~ 14 city driving using premium 98

Have a read of the thread Fuel consumption TOO HIGH what do I do? I was averaging 14-16 until I changed my driving style to be more calm and relaxed with acceleration and braking rather than racing everywhere. Nett result is 11-13 around the city on regular, and I still end up getting where I'm going in the same time but with less stress.

Adelaide has no traffic and most of roads are 60kph until you get further out from the CBD, so you can pretty much coast around everywhere and achieve good consumption :P

On another note, I just had my oil line replaced as part of the "customer service initiative" and my fuel consumption has dropped from the spike it had after the previous service.

We've also had our KX-R a month now (and I just returned from it's 1000Km inspection - all is good).

Overall, our fuel consumption has teetered in the 10's - depending on who has been driving and where.

Last weekend we went for a drive to Bendigo which is mostly 110km/h freeway and on the way up I was able to get it down to 9.2L/100 - which I was really pleased with.

This was sitting on the speed limit (mostly at 110) on cruise for 98% of the journey.

On the way home it climbed up to 9.6L/100 and I put that down to the cars I decided to pass (a little more spirited in the right-foot :) )

That tank of fuel is still going after almost 500km's and reading 9.8L/100 (the range still reads about 120km left - though I know the "final" range will continue to slowly increase the further it is driven....assuming the mileage remains similar).

The worst we've experienced so far is 11.3L/100 and that was with the Wife driving and mainly going shopping around town, etc.

I have found that the Kluger is so smooth to drive that you don't need to put your foot into it to get it going....usually it creeps up and over the speed limit before you know it (around town anyway), so a light touch on the accelerator is all that is required.....unless you're in a hurry (or impatient) !

If you want low mileage figures, I think the biggest factor is learning how to drive the Kluger gracefully (for want of a better term). You don't have to crawl to 60 or 100km/h like one of those "Sunday drivers" that sit 20km/h under the speed limit - usually in the right lane :) .....you just need to keep it around 2000 - 2500rpm up through the gears and try to limit (as much as possible) catching up with the car in front of you, braking to slow down, then accelerating to speed up, then braking to slow down again, etc, etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Drove 280km home from Warrnambool yesterday and averaged 8.8L/100 on the journey home...which I was really happy with.

Whilst up in Warrnambool the ave. was somewhere between 9.3 - 10.5L/100, depending on what we were doing and where we were driving at the time.

Best mileage was a short stint from Warrnambool to Port Fairy (about 26km) which got down to 8.3L/100 (just after filling the tank).

Considering the size and weight of the Kluger, I'm blown away by the mileage you can get (if driven correctly).

Dave

Drove 280km home from Warrnambool yesterday and averaged 8.8L/100 on the journey home...which I was really happy with.

Whilst up in Warrnambool the ave. was somewhere between 9.3 - 10.5L/100, depending on what we were doing and where we were driving at the time.

Best mileage was a short stint from Warrnambool to Port Fairy (about 26km) which got down to 8.3L/100 (just after filling the tank).

Considering the size and weight of the Kluger, I'm blown away by the mileage you can get (if driven correctly).

Dave

Just drove back from Glenrowan in my Altitude 2WD done 430kms and got an average of 10.6L/100, On the highway with the air going flat out? & Five people in it!!

Don't think its to bad concidering.......I'm happy

Hi, I think most will find that the 2WD will have better fuel consumption than the AWD due to the added HP needed to drive the extra 2 wheels. We only just get 10l/100 on a trip, around the city is 15l/100km with very careful driving. The first 1000km was fantastic, under 10L/1000 around city.

I wonder if Toyota put in thinner oil for the running in period then the dealer changes to what ever they have at the first 1000lk service and it's a lot thicker.

I'm trying the Valvoline 0-40w synthetic oil to see if it makes any difference at my next service.

cheers

I wonder if Toyota put in thinner oil for the running in period then the dealer changes to what ever they have at the first 1000km service and it's a lot thicker.

I don't believe they do as there is no service done at 1000km anymore...it's just in inspection.

The first actual service is at 10,000km, so I don't think they'd run thinner oil for the first 10K km....

Dave

I wonder if Toyota put in thinner oil for the running in period then the dealer changes to what ever they have at the first 1000km service and it's a lot thicker.

I don't believe they do as there is no service done at 1000km anymore...it's just in inspection.

The first actual service is at 10,000km, so I don't think they'd run thinner oil for the first 10K km....

Dave

That is true Dave as mine has only 9500km's on it now.............was told that first service was free, but it was only a inspection and check over thats it :(

Will be interesting after the 10,000km service to see L/100kms after that!

Dave

Hi Dave, I wonder then what else they do at the free check/service @ 1000k because our AWD had fantastic consumption around the city, between 8-9 L/100 then after the free check, fuel consumption was well over 15L/100km??? On a highway trip doing 100klm- 110klm/hour it takes about 250klm to drop down to 10.6 then a further 200klm to drop to 10L/100. I just think the AWD is a little more thirsty, but we're very happy with it tho.

cheers

Geoff