Just test drove an Aurion, are these normal?

Silver-Aurion

I'm looking around for an Aurion, and I came across a private sale Prodigy 2007. Test drove it and all goes well. For a few things, the service is overdue 500KM, and that when I sat dead quiet in the car and listened for a several seconds I can hear and see the engine rev's jumping(whilst in park). But very very faintly.

Also, the shift lock button. I think its stuffed. When I press it, is something on my dashboard or on the screen, is it suppose to show something that I'm turning shift lock on or off?

But I press it and nothing happens at all. And the button is very hard to press, and I can hear like a spring bounce back when I took my finger finger off it after depressing it.

The vehicle is still under warranty. ALL four tyres need to be changed which he said he will deduct price off to compensate them.

Another thing is that, while in park. When I press the accelerator the engine sounds great, but when I press really hard, the VERY first sound that comes from the engine is that like its choking.

Besides those, the car is really nice. I'm not sure if I'm being picky or not. As the car still has warranty and they better fix anything for free at the dealer!! Like that shift lock button.

It feels like you know how you have sticky keys on your keyboard after spilling coke? Thats how the button felt and after letting go the button doesnt stay depressed AND I can hear the spring bounce back inside the button! <_<

Help will be very appreciated as I'm thinking of giving him a deposit tomorrow!

Edited by unique

The shift locks only purpose, is to allow you to move the shift lever out of park when the cars turned off and/or without having to press on the brake pedal. It's a purely mechanical button hence there isn't any notification light you've used it, and further it's not something you'd normally use anyway.

As the for sudden press on the accelerator, are you sure it's not just the sudden intake in air you're hearing? Usually from idle when you suddenly open the throttle all the way, there is a huge chance in air pressure in the intake pipping which can sound very much like the sound you've described - perfectly normal in all cars. If it's just the noise and the engine doesn't half stall at the same time I'd say that's what it was.

Hey, thanks for the info. I still think I will get the dealer to look at the button because it just does not feel right. I can hear the spring noise when I press it.

And that exactly pretty true. It did sound like air when I pressed it, from Park, when I would hit the accelerator hard to rev the engine it would sound like a burst of air for a split second.

I know a mate from Melb city toyota which I'll be taking it there myself and getting the service done myself just to give that extra satisfaction knowing that the current owner didn't do a slouchy job and then sell the car to me.

By the way, I'll be the third owner. It was first purchased (according to the books) by a uni professor in NSW and that the current owner purchased it from Le Mans toyota here in Melb.

He is only selling it because he how has a hybrid which he cuts tax cuts what ever from work so he purchased another car and selling this one to pay off the hybrid.

Huuuuuuuuuge fingers crossed that its decent :(. So scared to be honest. Its an expensive car and I'm using money I don't have. So its a gamble.

I'm looking around for an Aurion, and I came across a private sale Prodigy 2007. Test drove it and all goes well. For a few things, the service is overdue 500KM, and that when I sat dead quiet in the car and listened for a several seconds I can hear and see the engine rev's jumping(whilst in park). But very very faintly.

Also, the shift lock button. I think its stuffed. When I press it, is something on my dashboard or on the screen, is it suppose to show something that I'm turning shift lock on or off?

But I press it and nothing happens at all. And the button is very hard to press, and I can hear like a spring bounce back when I took my finger finger off it after depressing it.

The vehicle is still under warranty. ALL four tyres need to be changed which he said he will deduct price off to compensate them.

Another thing is that, while in park. When I press the accelerator the engine sounds great, but when I press really hard, the VERY first sound that comes from the engine is that like its choking.

Besides those, the car is really nice. I'm not sure if I'm being picky or not. As the car still has warranty and they better fix anything for free at the dealer!! Like that shift lock button.

It feels like you know how you have sticky keys on your keyboard after spilling coke? Thats how the button felt and after letting go the button doesnt stay depressed AND I can hear the spring bounce back inside the button! <_<

Help will be very appreciated as I'm thinking of giving him a deposit tomorrow!

the main purpose of the "shift lock " button is to prevent accidentally moving it out of park with engine off. to unlock press down with your thumb while pushing the gear lever with the side of your hand, this will disengage it from park.there is no indicator on dash for this. when you start car in park this feature changes to the brake pedal to release it from the park position.

Thanks for the extra info. I feel much better now. Huge bummer is that I now need to wait before I can do anything because its now a Friday and I'm way to busy with work tomorrow.

I have to wait 3 long days for my Aurion now :(

Anyone can shed some light on this issue? Is it because its overdue 500KM or something else?

the engine idle speed will change slightly as the ecu adjusts the revs for the best overall efficiency depending on intake temperature, engine load (ie air con system), engine temperature etc etc.

unless the engine is changing revs by upto 500rpm ONCE it's already upto optimal running temp (tend to run a bit higher when cold) then it's perfectly normal.

The best answer to all ur questions whether it's normal or not, is to test-drive another Aurion. Compare those to the one ur buying. Personally, I won't buy something if I think there are problems that could annoy me in any way. If the price difference is reasonable, n which would eliminate the problem that I'm concerned with, I'd pay the difference.