E10gas

brian88

Filled up with e10 gas last few days ago, now the engine Check light is on. Loss of power as well!

Took to a mechanic to check the computer error code and read ( timing retarding)

Mechanic says the computer iis resetting the timing and it's Pinging??

Do drain the petrol tank or mix with a higher octane gas like 91 or 98 ??

Filled up with e10 gas last few days ago, now the engine Check light is on. Loss of power as well!

Took to a mechanic to check the computer error code and read ( timing retarding)

Mechanic says the computer iis resetting the timing and it's Pinging??

Do drain the petrol tank or mix with a higher octane gas like 91 or 98 ??

It was probably a bad batch. AFAIK the 1zz-fe is E10 compatible. I used it once in my 5s-fe... never again.

Draining it would be the best solution, but it's a hassle. If you've got something like half a tank, you could fill it with 98 RON and hope it averages out.

After filling, you might want to reset the computer so it starts back at normal timing and cleares the error code. You can do this either by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery or removing the ~15A EFI fuse for about 30 seconds. If you go the battery terminal route, you will lose your radio station presets.

maybe so bad batch, id get a sample of the fuel into a glass bottle, look for water sitting on the bottom... it happens after a bad rain period...

do this buy d/c the fuel feed hose and putting it into a bottle, get someone to turn the reds on, or even crank till u get enough fuel.... if there is water, removal of tank, cleaning will be required... also removal of injectors and replacement of baskets and a clean is a must, also usually fuel filter and pump is replaced... pray....

Edited by 123R-Prozak

Thanks for your post mate, i was thinking about trying E 10 in my Sportivo after mechanic at my work said it would be compatible , but i don't think i will risk it now. On the other side of the coin my sons Starlet runs great on E10 , but put Premium in it and it runs and idles like a dog!

Thanks for your post mate, i was thinking about trying E 10 in my Sportivo after mechanic at my work said it would be compatible , but i don't think i will risk it now. On the other side of the coin my sons Starlet runs great on E10 , but put Premium in it and it runs and idles like a dog!

I wouldn't put E10 in a sportivo. The unleaded component is very low octane. Sportivos need 95 AT MINIMUM but I wouldn't use anything other than 98. Now it NEVER, EVER knocks even the slightest .

E10 is usually 91 RON

they use a lower grade fuel and then bump up the RON by adding ethanol to reach 91 RON

Some have 91+ which is the 91 regular unleaded then ethanol added which brings it to round 95 RON

If your car has not being running on E10 since you brought it dont use it

I put e10 one time in my pre facelift rolla a year ago and spent the next 6 months fixing it GRRRRRRR

• 1 month later...

I put e10 in my car and now I am having the same problem with my corolla,it has a lower idle than normal, do you have trouble starting the car aswell, when i try to start mine I have to put accelerator in and rev it, put it in reverse and then back in park otherwise car stalls. I have now put Vortex premium in my car but it is still a pain to start, would disconconnecting the batteries negative terminal fix the problem by reseting the computer. Im fairly sure it is the e10 that mucked it up though, as it ran and started perfect before last week

Cheers

Edited by RO11AN

I thought e10 had an research octane rating of approximately 95 due to the 10% ethanol. I read it somewhere ages ago..

But I tried the e10 stuff once in our Camry, never again. It drove like a snail, and consumed the e10 quicker than regular unleaded. =\

yeah e10 sucks, mum borrowed car filled it to full with e10 ( she cant read english and i told her to use 91 if she ever has too fill.. but BPs' 91 is e10 my bad><!) Got car back it sounded like a sick dog and it didnt like it when you gave it some stick ><!!!!

Edited by Ascendant Rice

i use e10 on all my 3 toyotas for a month now, everything seems to be fine

- 2005 corolla

- 2000 prado

- 2001 townace

does anyone think if there will be any long term effects of using e10 on my cars?