COLD AIR INTAKE

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently put the Simota CAI on... I had a 2.25" exhaust and 4-2-1 extractors before, and I only noticed a slight increase in power towards the mid-to-top range... My engine hesitates under 3,000RPM but goes pretty well after that... one big difference is the noise though... it's beefier and growlier, if that makes any sense...

I recently put the Simota CAI on... I had a 2.25" exhaust and 4-2-1 extractors before, and I only noticed a slight increase in power towards the mid-to-top range... My engine hesitates under 3,000RPM but goes pretty well after that... one big difference is the noise though... it's beefier and growlier, if that makes any sense...

My exhaust fix that hesitation below 3000rpm.

Danz -

what did you end up with atw figure when car was stock?

just curious i might be sighting this CAI too high for gains. i realise no real gains can be achieved unless you complete the puzzle.

more air intake means you need to push it out more. hence extractors/muffler.

i've had a look at extractors not much for 1zzfe... got any views on what's good?

i see you have a wildcat which i've never heard before.

Danz -

what did you end up with atw figure when car was stock?

just curious i might be sighting this CAI too high for gains. i realise no real gains can be achieved unless you complete the puzzle.

more air intake means you need to push it out more. hence extractors/muffler.

i've had a look at extractors not much for 1zzfe... got any views on what's good?

i see you have a wildcat which i've never heard before.

As for extractors, you can grab Wildcat or Hurricane. Maybe Genie got one aswell. My header is 3x the size of standard, you can check on my garage photo, so this is not bolt on.

Stock at wheels was 75kw.

I do not know how much gain i get from the CAI alone, because the cai and exhaust is meant to be working each other, but you cannot go wrong with CAI. Don't expect sky hi gain, but any gain from CAI its not a lie, it is a true gain. 7kw-10kw is possible.

Edited by Danz

i just bought my AEM for $392, don't know if i need to pay the import tax - still less expensive than other brands (except simota).

bruce from trdsales qouted me $490 including shipping

blitz from autobarn and ignition-x too costly $500-700

once i acquire and fit this part, i will dyno it with different filters (luckily my freind knows a guy at autobarn) so he might be able to supply me with different pod filters - simota, k&n, kks and my stock AEM. see who makes a real difference

will keep u guys up to date

Danz -

thanks for the reply mate, i wasn't really expecting sky high gains.

i have experienced CAI on previous cars but toyota is a different car, i loved the vvti story but i was actually disappointed with end performance. there's a flat spot in second.

i rev 1st gear change at 6000rpm-6100 but as soon as 2nd engages there's no pull basically flat. i've raced a few other ricers and i was impressed with the mr lancer that had CAI + full exhaust who pulled away from me mid 2nd although i recouped at about 3rd (maybe he missed a gear :P ).

when CAI installed did that get rid of the flat feeling?

To be honest, I am not sure about flat spot from 1st-2nd, but all I can say is ever since the car got CAI (I got it after exhaust), the car becomes alive. My fav is 2nd gear actually. So meaty.

Anyhow, I have a dyno figure here in case you have not seen it.

post-61-1116902000_thumb.jpg

Ask obsezzion, he got his TRD CAI installed without any exhaust mods, maybe he can give u a better details about your enquiry.

He also says its very quiet atm ...maybe not the best time to talk about his beloved CAI :(

Had no idea bro. Either one you cannot go wrong anyway. Yeah the AEM is cheaper, and probably that makes it a better and valuable buy than TRD. No one complains about which CAI they have.

For what I can remember, AEM gives better tourqe while TRD gives better HP.

For what I can remember, AEM gives better tourqe while TRD gives better HP.

agree w danz about aem..anyway

can you show me the figures please? or provide me the link to confirm your statement. ..interesting... to lazy to use search function...sorry folks...there'sa a lot of sh!tloads about CAI in the forum, it'l take me ages before i find the right ones.