Rear Bumper Fitment

Foss

When I first looked at my Aurion at the dealership back in September, I noticed that the rear inner guards didn't fit properly, and there was a gap between the them and the bumper. I spoke with the sales fella about it and we came to the conclusion that being carpet they had probably shrunk over time, and they replaced them before I picked up the car. Well the new ones were a better fit but still not quite perfect, and the problem has returned over the few months since they were replaced.

Upon even closer inspection I've noticed that its probably not the inner guard thats the problem. It appears to be that the bumper is flared/bowed outward slightly behind the wheel. I threw it up on jackstands to have a look under, and from what I discovered, I don't think its fitted right.

post-13788-1265592892_thumb.jpg

Pardon the crude diagram. Its the best I knock up here at work, with the picture in my mind of what how its mounted.

At the moment, the bumper is bolted to hole A of the metal bracket. Hole A is the hole closest to the outside of the car. I think that this is putting pressure on the bottom of the bumper and causing it to bow. The plastic bracket is also breaking off where its attached to the bumper, I think as a result of this stress on the bracket. Its the same on both sides of the car. I think its meant to be bolted to hole B instead, but has been fitted wrong. If it was bolted to hole B, it would pull the bottom of the bumper in, likely taking the bow out and taking the stress off the breaking bracket.

Does anybody know whether it is fitted incorrectly?

I would fix it myself and test, but I'm not willing to touch it as I consider it a warranty issue if its not fitted right, and expect the bumper repaired/replaced with regard to the breaking brackets.

Chris,

After you mentioned this to me, i had a look at my car and several other Sportivo's we had here at work and they both seem to be bolted through hole "a" just like your's so im not sure why your's would be so loose. As for the carpet thing all the Aurions seem to be like this, some worse than others, mine fits pretty good but ive seen others with a masive gap between the arch and the carpet :S

Cheers Matt. I'm tempted to move it to hole B just for experiments sake.

The fact the brackets are half broken off is a bit of a worry, though. Did you notice any breakage on any you looked at?