Request:ZRE owners

Hey does any one have pictures of the front toyota badge removed from the grill? i want to see what t looks liek from behind. and it if its passible to put perspex and a white LED there.

Like in this vid.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
Edited by Ascendant Rice

Thats a bit sh#tty, you need an even effect... thats just one led in the corner...

Yep doing my Nets badge now... Toyota one is a bit harder... You need some 1mm polycarb, 3mm led etc..

The nets badge will look like this...

p1.jpg

Ill do a write up later for you all...

D

Edited by dutchie101

Dam, I just had half the tutorial done and Mozilla crashed :(

Here it is again

6-8 X 3mm super bright LED of choice,

Small piece of prototyping circuit board

Diodes, resistors (ill give numbers later)

1mm polycarb sheet

Sign writing vinyl, contact or Di-Noc

Thin gauge wire

Soldering iron, drills, screwdrivers or chisels, files.

So basically what we are trying to do here is sandwich a piece of polycarb in between the emblem and the emblem base. Putting LED's in the base, and "masking" the polycarb to allow a thin line of light to escape, creating that nice even illumination glow.

Ok, you need to make a piece of polycarb thats just larger than the emblem, by only 1-2mm. Best way is to trace the emblem base onto the polycarb, then cut using shears, then sand to the required shape. Keep the protective paper on... dont remove it yet.

Like this:

ToyotaEmblempolycarb.jpg

Then you have to knock out the area where the emblem pins will come thru the polycarb. Mark them on the polycarb, and drill out the corners with a 2mm drill. Knock them out with a sharp chisel or sharp screwdriver. Its the easiest way.

ToyotaEmblemcutpoly.jpg

Now we need to make sure the sandwich fits, and to allow the emblem to clip into the base, we have to file 1mm off the shoulder of the back of the base where the emblem clips in, on the side of the tab from the emblem..

Once it all fits well, we can look at masking with cover of your choice.. the emblem must be nice and centered on the polycarb.. We need to mask just inside the emblem, just 1-2mm inside:

ToyotaEmblemvinyl-1.jpg -------> ToyotaEmblemmasked.jpg

This mask needs to be dark and not let light through. I opted for 3M Di-Noc carbon look film. Also 3M reflective black vinyl will look good too, or even blue reflective (just go to a big sign company and ask for some scraps)

We are then looking at mounting the LED's. These are the places i have selected for the LED's. This should provide an even spread of light. Drill 3.5mm hole at these locations on the base:

ToyotaEmblemled.jpg

Ill continue this in a bit.. the next part will take some time..

Edited by dutchie101

YEah its a bit time consuming, it took me three tries to get the shape even 1-2mm around the emblem (or base). Once you have the polycarb shaped, its not too hard. You do need to know a bit about solodering, and some basic electronics but bugger all. if you have the tools and the time, its not too hard.. Its well worth it in the end...

Charlie ill email you the lot when im done, the Nets emblem is a bit different, same principle tho. Ill put it all up here anyways eventually...

If i still had access to the cnc router and vinyl cutter at my old sign company i could do these easy as, and as many as needed... Oh well, now its just all hands!

Edited by dutchie101

YEah its a bit time consuming, it took me three tries to get the shape even 1-2mm around the emblem (or base). Once you have the polycarb shaped, its not too hard. You do need to know a bit about solodering, and some basic electronics but bugger all. if you have the tools and the time, its not too hard.. Its well worth it in the end...

Charlie ill email you the lot when im done, the Nets emblem is a bit different, same principle tho. Ill put it all up here anyways eventually...

If i still had access to the cnc router and vinyl cutter at my old sign company i could do these easy as, and as many as needed... Oh well, now its just all hands!

Sweet! Thanks Pete :D this is what i wanted to do originally but didnt know where to start lol, where did you get your polycarb sheet and the Di-Noc from out of curiosity?

Charlie

Got the polycarb from a plastic/acrylic supplier, check yellow pages for one in your area. Ring and ask for 1mm polycarb ( if you cant find any ill send you some, i have some spare) it was only 8 bucks for 600 or 800mm X 300mm @1mm.

Dont get acrylic cause there is a slight bend in the emblem, the polycarb is flexible, acrylic not soo much..

3M Di-Noc was from Metrodecals.com in the US, good price, fast shipping.. As you only need a little bit, i can send you a bit if you dont wanna wrap everything else in your car with it :)

Got the polycarb from a plastic/acrylic supplier, check yellow pages for one in your area. Ring and ask for 1mm polycarb ( if you cant find any ill send you some, i have some spare) it was only 8 bucks for 600 or 800mm X 300mm @1mm.

Dont get acrylic cause there is a slight bend in the emblem, the polycarb is flexible, acrylic not soo much..

3M Di-Noc was from Metrodecals.com in the US, good price, fast shipping.. As you only need a little bit, i can send you a bit if you dont wanna wrap everything else in your car with it :)

awesome! i'll see how i go with the acrylic sheets and stuff over the weekend thanks Pete!! :D

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my Nets emblem tonight:

LEdNets.jpg

currently running the 3mm white ultrabrights at 20mA, could have run them a bit hotter but i wasnt after a crazy bright emblem, just a nice subtle glow. And they will last longer running cooler.

Now too hook it up, and work out how to wire it to the dome lights so it glows up when you walk up to the vehicle, and stays on, then turns off once you exit... anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

LEdNets.jpg

currently running the 3mm white ultrabrights at 20mA, could have run them a bit hotter but i wasnt after a crazy bright emblem, just a nice subtle glow. And they will last longer running cooler.

Now too hook it up, and work out how to wire it to the dome lights so it glows up when you walk up to the vehicle, and stays on, then turns off once you exit... anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

:D NICE!!

LEdNets.jpg

omgosh that lo0ks so sweet !

good job ! :toast:

LEdNets.jpg

omgosh that lo0ks so sweet !

good job ! :toast:

PHAT!!!!!!!!!

heres what it looks like with the Di-Noc applied:

emblemdaytime.jpg

Ive also worked out how to get it to switch on with the smart key/dome and then stay on with parkers or Acc, then switch off with dome. So essentially, it will glow up as you walk near the car, stay on when the accessories or parkers are on, stay on and fade out as you walk away.. should look mad.

Thanks to DJKOR for the confirmation of using a relay for this.

heres what it looks like with the Di-Noc applied:

emblemdaytime.jpg

Ive also worked out how to get it to switch on with the smart key/dome and then stay on with parkers or Acc, then switch off with dome. So essentially, it will glow up as you walk near the car, stay on when the accessories or parkers are on, stay on and fade out as you walk away.. should look mad.

keep us updated with the progress of it bro :)

im thinking of giving it a go on mine XD

Hi Guys,

I believe the 2010 Toyota Pirus comes with a front LED badge like this

post-15048-1267611713_thumb.jpg

post-15048-1267611760_thumb.jpg

i dont think they are LED Jalal, they have the visual effect of LED but just printed blue on the background, i think they are similar to these

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...late.google.com

To extend on what I spoke with you in PM, I have done a rough sketch of what the relay wiring should be like. Toyota tend to use ground switching so the second diagram should be what you need, but there is the possibility that your Rolla uses standard positive switching, which in that case you would use the first diagram. Excuse how messy it is. I couldn't find any paper in my room, and I am pretty busy trying to sort stuff out for work.

Positive switching:

image674.jpg

Ground switching (most likely):

image675.jpg