Something rattling/rolling in the door frame

Tash

Hey guys, just wanted a few thoughts on this before I bother ringing Toyota (the car is under warranty for quite a while yet). I can hear something, it sounds like a ball bearing to me, rolling quite distinctly in the left door area when I turn corners. This is only a problem when I carry passengers as I have to turn the stereo down hahahaha

I've had a look at the repair manuals for the Gen 6 and I can't see any really small components that would give me an idea of what has come loose, would it be like a spring or something? The easiest way I can describe it is by mentioning the Maltesers advert where the malteser choccie rolls across the top of her dash, it sounds exactly as if someone is rolling a marble around in the door.

Anyone else had a similar issue or have other ideas on what's in these doors? Was hoping to be able to narrow it down a little before Toyota go pulling my car apart. Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

Have the same thing in our 2007 ACV40R.

Turn a corner and sounds like a marble running across under the car.

I wonder if it could be a stone in the chassis??

It only happened after we had a radio replaced at the local dealer... would rather put up with it than take the car back there..., unbelievably incompetent and rude... they fix one thing stuff 2 more... Decided live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same thing in our 2007 ACV40R.

Turn a corner and sounds like a marble running across under the car.

I wonder if it could be a stone in the chassis??

It only happened after we had a radio replaced at the local dealer... would rather put up with it than take the car back there..., unbelievably incompetent and rude... they fix one thing stuff 2 more... Decided live with it.

Ahh, interesting thoughts. I'm thinking much the same, for the on and off time that I hear it (occasionally when I drive and passengers don't want the stereo on) it's just not worth it. Experienced exactly the same with two dealers, Airport Toyota in particular.

could be a nut off the winder assembly

That's not a bad idea Trent, reckon it'd be easy enough to spot if the door trim were taken off? Although as I said above it's not a massive issue.

Hey guys, just wanted a few thoughts on this before I bother ringing Toyota (the car is under warranty for quite a while yet).

If the car is still under Warranty, let Toyota know about the "rattling noise" at the next service.

Make the most of your Warranty :)

id be more inclined to say it's a plastic fastener that secures the loom for your power windows/lock and speakers in the door thats come out due to vibration. If your confident just remove the door card it's not hard at all!

id be more inclined to say it's a plastic fastener that secures the loom for your power windows/lock and speakers in the door thats come out due to vibration. If your confident just remove the door card it's not hard at all!

Hmm.. might have to consult Camry Stuff then for a manual on taking that off :)

Are you sure it is coming from within the doors?

If you take a look under the front seats there is a hole in the carpeting, with wiring for the front seat going through it.

The hole is large enough for something to roll into. and when it does, the object will roll left and right hence making the rattling/rolling noises.

Just stick your hand in there and reach around, I think you may want to do this after a hard left turn, as the hole is on the right.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read your reply "U54MOT".. thanks for the heads up.

I had a feel around in there and found nothing so stuffed some paper towel in there.

See what happens. B)

BTW.. unlikely it is in the door area as it only moves when turning left or right, never on acceleration or braking.

I doubt it is a nut off a window winder as we both of us with this problem have '06 ACV40R's with electric windows. One off the process of elimination list. :blink:

(TASH.. That is some shine you have on your Sportivo!! Has it had some special treatment or is it just good ol elbow grease?)

Edited by camfan

Just read your reply "U54MOT".. thanks for the heads up.

I had a feel around in there and found nothing so stuffed some paper towel in there.

See what happens. B)

BTW.. unlikely it is in the door area as it only moves when turning left or right, never on acceleration or braking.

I doubt it is a nut off a window winder as we both of us with this problem have '06 ACV40R's with electric windows. One off the process of elimination list. :blink:

(TASH.. That is some shine you have on your Sportivo!! Has it had some special treatment or is it just good ol elbow grease?)

That's a really great idea U54MOT, can't believe I didn't see your reply to my thread earlier, am definitely going to have a look around in there then! And you're right camfan, it only happens when cornering and even then only occasionally. I've never been that great at hearing, these days I just turn the music on and ignore the rattles lol

Cheers for the compliment on the shine :D It's pretty much just good elbow grease, it had a polish/wax in November and that photo (in my sig) was taken in mid-January. Due for another full polish and wax next weekend as well as some scratch removal stuff. I am a fanatic car cleaner, gets a wash every fortnight at least, sometimes weekly in summer. Then a good dry down and go over inside and out. The colour helps too lol, just stands out all on its own :)

topic caught my attention tash!

however it aint rolling sound i hear in my door... somehow with the colder weather coming along, it seems as if the driver side door is contracting at uneven levels so much so that with every minor bump i go over (which means every other centimeter on melb roads) theres like a crackling noise i hear.

but if the sun is shining bright and my car is heated up well... somehow the noise is gone...

juz wondering... the build quality of the acv40 aren't fantastic are they?

Hey Tinz - the only thing I can think of is usually heat expands things, so maybe things just don't fit quite right when its a bit cooler? That's pretty bad though that kind of noise :(

I am really happy with this Camry overall but I will agree on the build quality, my '95 Camry felt more 'invincible' in terms of build quality. But warranty is always a good indicator, I'm a bit of a sceptic in the sense that if they are selling all these new cars these days, and its all manufacturers, with 3-5 year warrantys and then some then it sounds like they are preparing for things to go wrong. Some would say its peace of mind, and I have got that given mine's under warranty until 2013, but yeah... And of course it's always the consumable items that they won't cover that seem to go.

But! I would still recommend the Camry, get daily driver with some potential, and I'm really happy with the way mine's coming along :D I will definitely be sussing out that hole in the carpet when I get the opportunity.

Feedback on the mysterious ?? rolling marble or whatever it is/was... SOLVED!! :spiteful:

With U54MOT's tip about the opening in the chasis channel under the drivers seat I shoved a scrunched up paper towel in the hole and walla..!! gone...! Don't know what is in there thats making the noise, maybe a run away jaffa??... anyway i'm too old and too lazy to look and the noise has stopped so case solved.

I feel the same about the build quality of the 2006+ Camrys too, they seemed to have dropped the ball considerably from the previous models, even going right back to the widebody versions. We have a 2000 model V6 and a 2006 ACV40R as well and the difference is very noticeable to me. The 2000 one seems like it was a thought out process whereas the ACV40R seems like a bucket of hit and miss. The ACV40R is a nice car, don't get me wrong, beautiful on the freeway or trips but that invincible feeling is missing as someone has already said.

I also think Toyota was paying too much attention to comments by motor writers about earlier Camrys looking a bit bland and as a result sacificed their mainstay, build quality for more style. A bad move when you have a product that works Toyota.

They should learn a lesson from that and ignore anything written by a motor reviewer and listen only to those that buy their product, something that motor manufaturers do not do enough of.

(TASH) You would be disgusted with me then... I give my cars a tub about once a year if I remember!! :blink: but with both being garaged they still have that new finish on them. I have polished my 2000 Camry once in 10 years!! ... s'pose i'm condemned to the bad boy corner now? :(

Will post some pics of them soon.

Cheers all :D btw.. love this site!

PS..>> TINZ

Check the rubber channel around where the window glass fits in the top of the door, especially up inside the groove and see if there is a part there where it has worn through allowing the glass to grind on a screw in there. Alternatively when it is making the noise lower your window and see if it stops.

Also check around your door frame for signs of rubbing.

Edited by camfan

Are you sure it is coming from within the doors?

If you take a look under the front seats there is a hole in the carpeting, with wiring for the front seat going through it.

The hole is large enough for something to roll into. and when it does, the object will roll left and right hence making the rattling/rolling noises.

Just stick your hand in there and reach around, I think you may want to do this after a hard left turn, as the hole is on the right.

I had this as well!. It was rolling around after a left or right turn.

It drove me nuts for a few days trying to figure out where it was coming from. The shape of the inside of a car messes with the acoustics and makes it difficult to locate a sound. I thought it was coming from the centre console. I ended up taking the console apart!

It was a nut from a tree, it was in the metal channel under the carpet of the passenger seat.