Engine Oil Change

purple61

Good stuff mate, are you new to doing your own work? Its far more satisfying than handing over to a mechanic for simple things you can do.....the trouble is (particularly in my case!) finding the time to do it. Oh I miss having a garage......made it so much easier than doing everything on grass.....

Without trying to start a debate, next time consider a slightly heavier weight oil, but you have by no means done a bad thing. Check out Shell Recommendation

Cheers

Good stuff mate, are you new to doing your own work? Its far more satisfying than handing over to a mechanic for simple things you can do.....the trouble is (particularly in my case!) finding the time to do it. Oh I miss having a garage......made it so much easier than doing everything on grass.....

Without trying to start a debate, next time consider a slightly heavier weight oil, but you have by no means done a bad thing. Check out Shell Recommendation

Cheers

10w-30 is the CORRECT viscosity for the 2AZ-FE engine.

Us Australians need to get over our fear of "thin" oil weights. In the US, 10w-30 is considered the thickest oil for any cars since the 90's. THey routinely run 5w-20 oils in the heat of their deserts. Our heat is no more special than that.

Completed my first oil change on my 2003 2.4 Camry. It was quite an experience working under the car. I used Repco Oil filter, Repco semi synthetic oil 10W 30 and viola...

You did change the oil filter too didn't you? Also worth checking air filter. water level, power steering fluid, brake fluid level, maybe auto trans: fluid level etc which would normally be done on a service. Check for any items that should be done at various kilometers in your service book. Not the service pages but there should be a page (Mine has) giving you things to do at various times and distances. Congratulations on what you have done! Choice of oil is up to ourselves and the way we drive so long as its within the range set out for your car.

I and general opinion rests with Synthetic being the better, with several advantages, possible extended time changes etc. But even here there are considerations ie: PAO oils being preferred for long life (Mobil has a strong hold on most of those patents) but don't expect to buy any PAO based oils for less than $70 or so for 5 liters and even at that price it probably only has a reduced PAO base as the stuff is apparently very pricey.

Edited by peregrine

Cheers

Yep, first time doing oil change. It was satisfying doing it myself. I bought the semi syn oil from Repco and the guy told me 10w 30 is the correct grade. I was surprised as well. With 86,000 on the clock, I thought 10w 40 or 50 would have been more appropriate.

I've changed the oil filter and air filter but I couldn't find the cabin air filter. Anyone has any idea where is it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Yep, first time doing oil change. It was satisfying doing it myself. I bought the semi syn oil from Repco and the guy told me 10w 30 is the correct grade. I was surprised as well. With 86,000 on the clock, I thought 10w 40 or 50 would have been more appropriate.

I've changed the oil filter and air filter but I couldn't find the cabin air filter. Anyone has any idea where is it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

if you have a bog standard altise you won't have one, i have an 05 and service guy looked it up - no filter.