Used oil analasys. The benefits.

Rocketeer1

Cut from my original thread on another forum. The intention was to- a. Investigate overall performance of lubrication. B. see without a doubt the benefit of going from Motul to a superior product. c. To continue analasys for a long time to come. Unfortunately the machine was stolen, just as the next analasys was due, which I was very interested to see the result of......first analasys on Motul 5100 10w30, cost $60 per 4 litres (approx). Subsequent analasys on PM Lubricants PM412 15w40 (cost $60 per 5 litres approx). the bike- 2005 CBR600RR, run everyday for stop/ start commuting, and weekend fun, which included 500k spirited runs through ranges and twisty roads, and track work. The engine is a 600ml twin double overhead cam 16v fuel injected, water cooled.

CBR600RR10-2-08_0001.jpg

Absolutly shocking result. Silica level is waaaaay high (at least double what it should be) all wear matierials seriously elevated- particularly the worst- iron and aluminium. Very poor result- ie if things continued as they are, I would be looking at bearings by say 50,000k's, rings soon after. Only lost a little viscosity (at 40°c) and oxidation is present- ie the oil has been affected by heating/ cooling process. Particle count is right up there. Very, very dissappointing. Keep in mind caution values are calculated at 10,000k's. So multiplying the values out to the same k's shows how bad it is.

The absolute saving grace- copper is not sky high (but is definantly present), and fuel dilution is low coupled with an overall clean result. This means wear is not yet extreme- bearings are still serviceable, rings are still sealing.

Solution:

Filter is either blocked (full of dust) or there is air ingress past the filtration. Filter must be checked at least at 12,000k's, and will not last 24,000k's as the manufacturer suggests (that is, if it is filter blockage). Will be investing in a washable filter. Will also have to check all areas of intake system and filter to airbox seal. Really dont want to ride much untill it is rectified, and will not be riding hard untill it is done. Damn.

Molybdenum appears to be doing nothing for wear (I understand moly has to be up around several hundred ppm to be effective). Oil is somewhere slightly more lubricative than grinding paste when changed. I am soooooooooo glad at the very least that I flushed the motor when changing oil, removing a good deal of contaminant.

Best $33 I have spent in a while. At least I know now how bad it is before seeing extreme wear. Another analasys will be performed in around 6,000 k's, would like to do some dielectric testing along the way. Unfortunately it is not going to be a fair PM VS Motul test, silica levels have screwed that right up.

A couple of months later.....

CBR600RRX3_0001.jpg

Interesting things to note:

PM has been in there for 12,436 k's, VS motul at 5,500k's. There was an oil filter change at 6,000k's. So PM has done twice the work of Motul. Yet, wear materials are around 50% of the motul when worked out ppm/1000k's. Effectively, even with the extended oil drain, wear has been dramatically reduced. Considering also within that 12,000k's was 2 track days, and I am learning to ride her harder.

Result indicates there is still dust getting in. I dont know whether through the filter, around, or elsewhere- maybe the airbox isnt quite sealed somewhere. I do have a repaired crack in it, which I may look at again to make sure its all good. There has been the thought that since there is still elevated aluminium, rings may be fairly soft, in comparison to other models.

Ok so testing indicates mechanical wear rates are well and truly heading in the right direction, but it would be wise to re-look at the airbox, and figure out what is going on with the intake of dust. I had seriously considered forgoeing the latest test, but at the last minute decided to go through with it. Bloody glad I did.

Oil is about to be dumped at almost 13,000k's as it has lost a little viscosity (I believe its due to the change from motul to PM, as I had a similar thing in the ZX6r when changing from Motul to PM)and to remove the contaminants. At the same time, i will be looking at the airbox. Continue analasys at 6,000k intervals. I am still going to try pushing changes out to 24,000k's with filter changes at 6,000 (have to figure out how to get the filter off without removing fairings), as I know a few bikes now who have successfully done it, and still shown good wear results. Keeping in mind though, that these are larger bore machines, and would not work nearly as hard as the little 600cc screamer.

Cost of tests to date- $33 odd x 3- $ 99 odd. Knowing the internal condition of the engine and longevity of oil- priceless.

Further- I would dearly love to know how long filters would typically last, but apart from someone cutting them open in lab conditions, its really hard to know. Since I am onto K&N's for $20 a hit, its not too bad. Although I have been told of one or two manufacturers who produce filters for cars with 30,000k guarantees. Dunno if they are in bikes yet.....and damn these sportsbikes- no where to fit bypass filtration.

• 2 months later...

Got the results back from my first UOA the other day. Everything was good, no excess silica/Al from using a K&N filter, no (significant) fuel dilution and no levels of metal out of the ordinary. I just need some history now.

Is it possible to have them include the VOA in the results?

I just went direct to the LubeTech shop from the above scans. Their website claims they do most capital cities, so give them a ring and see what the go is.

'Any mechanic' won't do it because servicing is done to a price, not a service ;)