Removing the rear licence plate light holder assembly

u54mot

I've had a look at it...and i thought it was a matter of just unclipping it, and then pushing it out. But i think not or maybe i am not using enough force.

If someone can help, thanks.

Replacing them with these.

number-lamp-camry07-b.jpg

Edited by u54mot

I've had a look at it...and i thought it was a matter of just unclipping it, and then pushing it out. But i think not or maybe i am not using enough force.

If someone can help, thanks.

Replacing them with these.

number-lamp-camry07-b.jpg

Hi Mate.

Isn't it easier just to replace the old bulbs with some white T10 LED bulbs?

Actually, those lights from R.Style racing were something that I was considering. The reason for this is that you will get more even illumination (much like the Lexus number plate lighting) than from just using T10 LED replacements alone. Also as well, the LED's are positioned to face directly down (where an LED replacement has more light biased to a 45 degree angle to the vertical) which will light the plate more uniformly as well. This is a really good plus especially for someone like me who has a chunky personalised plate. You saw what I mean Jeff.

Anyways, to replace the rear light assembly, you need to remove the trim that is behind the number plate. To remove that trim, you firstly have to remove the tail lights that are on the boot then loosen off the 10mm nuts that are on the top part of the trim on the inside of the boot lid. As long as your number plate is off, the trim is now prepared for removal.

Then the fun part. There are four clips at the bottom of the trim that hold it to the boot lid. These are very stiff clips and I wouldn't be surprised if you broke a couple/few of them. You need a bit of force to remove the trim (don't worry, the clips will give way before breaking the trim), and you may hear them snap off into the boot lid. Unfortunately there is not an easy way around that. When putting it back on, the combination of the tail lights and number plate hold the trim to the boot rather well, but putting a little silicone on the back (especially blocking the holes you make) certainly won't hurt.

You can see how the lights attach underneath, as well as one of the busted clips at the bottom in the following photo:

dsc02606pd4.jpg

Finally got the lights in....

I broke all 4 clips, aiy.

But i do have like 8 nuts holding the rear trim in. (not 4)

so i think it will stay in...with or without those clips, so all is good.

Just took a picture...not that great, will take a proper one soon.

But i have to say they light up!....even the ground.

posted a picture here.

Edited by u54mot

Finally got the lights in....

I broke all 4 clips, aiy.

But i do have like 8 bolts holding the rear trim in. (not 4)

so i think it will stay in...with or without those clips, so all is good.

Just took a picture...not that great, will take a proper one soon.

But i have to say they light up!....even the ground.

posted a picture here.

Niceeeee,

Might have to get these for my Camry.....

Good stuff mate. That's definitely what I will be getting when I eventually get back on the road again.

And like I said though, unfortunately those clips are a bstard. I guess they were never meant to be removed.

• 2 weeks later...