Turboing a 03 ZR

Adamayess

Hi im new here just found out about this site.

And im wondering if anyone has placed a turbo on a 7th gen celica.

I originally decided to supercharge mine with a trd 1.8 lt but was told by my mechanic that a turbo would be much better.

Now i know that you can buy kits from america for about $3,600 US abd they use a Borg Warner K04 but i have never herd of them so i was considering using the T28 that the S15 200sx use. Any suggestions as i am looking to do this next year once the warranty runs out on my car.

Cheers Adam

Check out c2power.com if you want to turbocharge. Great kit..

If you want supercharge. Then a blitz kit will do.

Do the 2003 come with dbw? If it does, then it could be a problem.

The C2 kit sounds nice but i just saw my mechanic at pro tec in melbourne and they did a celica a year ago and its producing 160kw at the wheels and goes like a rockett. And with mine they are going to use TD04 or the T28 and forge the pistons and bore it out. The ecu im going to use is probably the apexi but im also looking at the M4 motec as i have heard good things about motec so well see.

Thanks guys Adam :)

Edited by Adamayess

• 1 month later...

only seen one turbo celica in aust befor n tats the widebody PETIR's autosalon one

not sre where to turbo that would be cool tho

but fosha if u want supercharger go for the blitz supercharger!!

Technik Tuning is the one who did PETIR, they're in Melbourne.

Long time ago, I remember when Celica just came out, there was this black celica in Syndey or Brisbane, own by a football player that uses turbo also. So turboing a Celica is not new in OZ.

Yeah i know about the petir Car but im going to make mine go harder than his buy a few adjustments. I also knew Tecknik Tuning did the instalation on his car to but the owners of Tecknik are dodgy and i wouldnt go there and also Evolution R are an absolute Rip off and they wanted 10-12 Gz for installing a turbo plus they have never done one. (Memo to anyone els) My mechanic worked on petirs car when working for Tecknik but he now owns his own business. I have had a few chats with him about turboing my car and how to make it better than petirs. The celcia was actualy a real ars*hole to work on with getting everything right with the VvtLi to make it not into a moving hand grenade.

And there is no way i would be going with the blitz supercharger its load of crap for the $ you spend on the bloody thing and then you have to spend more $ on getting it installed.

The most expensive part about installing the turobo is getting the custom strengthened con rods made up about 2 -3 Gz.

such hi rev engine was not meant to be turboed, a supercharger is more logical because it helps the lower end power and help it all the way up. Blitz is one expensive gear, but it is a top quality parts.

Well, I guess you can always make the engine tougher to prevent dangerous operations with turbo on board. And, if u wish, lower the compression so you can load more boost, but then that ruins the whole point of vvtl-i.

"Well, I guess you can always make the engine tougher to prevent dangerous operations with turbo on board. And, if u wish, lower the compression so you can load more boost, but then that ruins the whole point of vvtl-i."

I hear what your saying Danz. but with the supercharger it will help it in the lower end but the power is not that good. I looked at your point with the Vvtl-i with my mechanic and im not to sure if i should run the boost all the way through the vvtil or stop it just before it kicks in. My mechanic reckons that i should run it all the way through.

why isnt a hi reving engine not spost to be turbod... lol... 80% of jamboree is rotars and if there not high reving i dont know what is. i dont get your comment...

once you get to a certain power point the vvti is probly restrictive, i have tvis which is just the old version of vvti and it is restrictive at around 300hp atw

and what is the difference between s/c boost and turbo boost in the way of harming your engine... there is none...

you could buy a 2nd hand turbo for about 400 - 500 to suit your application , custom manifold would be 700 , then youd need water lines/oil lines probably 100 - 200 , your ecu probly could run it at 7psi or so (most ecus can) , an intercooler would just about be a must, a dump pipe atleast- would be beter with a new dump and 2.5 or 3inch exhaust.

not sure if you knwo this just letting you know prices etc...

The 2zz-ge have a very high compression. You can turbo this engine, but if you aim to reach big boost, big power, you will have to reduce its comrpession, its safer that way, which ruins the whole point of VVTL-i. What I meant by "such hi-rev engine", was 2ZZ-GE being a hi compression n/a engine. I'm not sure how much boost can be applied with std internals.

Now there is a hi rev turbo engine, such as RB26DETT, but you have to look at the engineering of the engine. Its made to run with turbo. Compression is not as high as 2ZZ-GE, its engine is made of Iron, perfect candicate for turbo. Same goes to Rotary engine, the 13B.

I am not against turbo, infact I like turbo. However, because 2ZZ-GE being a top end machine anyway, why not fix its weakenss, which is its low end power. That is why I said supercharger made more sense. However, you can run smaller turbo to make it run like a supercharger. And don't be wrong, supercharger helps top end also, but not as high as what turbo can deliver.

Another thing is, 2ZZ-GE's exhaust manifold is located at the back of the engine, this is important to know that it is harder to dispatch heat, and turbo do not like heat. I don't particularly like that idea.

I'm not saying turbo is a bad thing for 2ZZ-GE, besides, if you can make more power with reliability then is all sweet. Another thing is, why you want to stop the boost before lift? It ruins the whole point of having a turbo which is meant for hi-end power.

Think carefully. If your mechanic can gives you 160kw at the wheels without major dramas (there is always a drama when it comes to tunings), you're set to go.

the mr2 has its turbo at the back also :P i see what your saying but a new metal thicker hg will lower compression a little, and toyota doing things the way they do things id be confident in saying it could take 10 psi with cooling etc maybe more.. look at the 98 model 2.7 petrol dead stock bottom end pulling like 350rwkw...

but it is a different engine so things change...

It is a good engine, a tough one and the only weakness in this engine is the valve which can snap if run too many times at 9000rpm (tuned one), surprisingly the valve spring can handle it. I got this info from a tuner who build clubman's car using 2zz-ge. Over and over time again I always read expert opinions about this 2zz-ge is closer in design to F20C (S2000 engine). That means, not much room to play around with the engine.

• 2 months later...