Turbocharging the 1zzfe

Hi all,

just want to know if anyone here thinks I've missed anything in the 'planning' stage of what I'm aiming for:

MWR (Monkey Wrench Racing) forged pistons - 8.8:1 Comp ratio

Crower Billet Con-Rods

Crower CAMS stage 2 FI (MWR)

MWR Valves

Apexi Power FC

Power enterprises 165lph fuel pump

Higher CC injectors (probably around 370cc - 400cc)

Custom turbo manifold

Garrett GT28RS 350hp Disco potatoe

*quiet blow off valve* (Still trying to figure out what one will be the quietest - though I could just do a plumb-back system)

Custom intercooler (front mount)

Aside from the above is there anything else that people think I should look into..?

Have I missed anything in my quest for turbo 1zzfe?

Cheers for any and all input :D

Izzfe = Brakes and suspension are definatly on the cards all ready have the 'brake upgrade' planned - using DBA discs and Greenstuff pads...

as for suspension - I'm still thinking how best to do that based on what I want to achieve.

Northy = am working on the idea that it should be between 10-15k AUD.

The majority of the cost is getting parts shipped here from the US...(Though I'm working on that as well) :D

With the setup I'm expecting in excess of 250hp at the wheels...

There's obviously some other things I'm planning as well eg clutch, lsd etc...

*Downside of this plan - is I have no idea how much the stock gearbox can handle - I don't know if the ascent five speed is going to cope with that much power through it*

Anywhoo :)

Will keep everyone posted on how everything goes :)

Izzfe = Brakes and suspension are definatly on the cards all ready have the 'brake upgrade' planned - using DBA discs and Greenstuff pads...

as for suspension - I'm still thinking how best to do that based on what I want to achieve.

The majority of the cost is getting parts shipped here from the US...(Though I'm working on that as well) :D

*Downside of this plan - is I have no idea how much the stock gearbox can handle - I don't know if the ascent five speed is going to cope with that much power through it*

hmmm nice set up. you know without the excess gear the stock internals can handle the subie turbo's. already your getting a custom manifold. your car would be good for about 170kwFw

don't forget a flywheel and clutch upgrade....

and the stock gearbox should be alright just don't dump and throw the gears that hard. it can be hard..... just ask a friend of mine who owns a subie... blew out his second dog box...

mind be interesting to see if MRT can do anything with the box...

hmm this job is sounding in excess of 15k taking box into consideration. let me ask though.... why not buy a turbo car? for 15k + cash from the sale of the ascent would get you a pretty pimped out ride...

Stylinblack:

A lot of the US guys have said (even proven) that stock internals can handle 12psi no worries... :blink:

but I'm cautious - I don't like the idea of running boost through my stock motor and having something break costing me more than it would have - to play it safe and build a quality turbo'd vehicle.

I'm a big believer in 'do it once, do it right'

as for why not buying a turbo car all ready: -

I'd like to do something a bit different, and besides given that the choices in the toyota range are starting to get a little long in the tooth or are all imports, I could probably build just as fun a car as me shelling out for a mkiv supra (I'd want the WHOLE package if I got a supra).

That and I think the 1zzfe / 2zzge engines are a damn good platform for modification / tuning ... and the corolla has an 'old person' stigma attached to it - that could be forever banished by doing what Toyota should have done from the factory - release a hot, forced induction hatch - the sportivo is sort of on the way...but is still not in the same ball park.

As for the g'box - MRT? (I don't know who that is....) - I think the stock gearbox should be ok but then that's going to be an interesting challenge, what I think is ok may result in a blown gearbox after the first decent run...(which would be very upsetting)

Clutch / Flywheel are a definate...and again - part of the overall plan for my car.

Though I'm begining to think my budget isn't big enough :( isn't what they always say:

"Think of a value, double it and you'll be close"

this might help u out a bit more:

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic....t=1zzfe+warning

also, your brake upgrades might need a bit more than pads and rotors tbh. the brake setup that the zze122s have, if i'm not mistaken, are rated from factory to about 140-150bhp at fly.

good luck, matey. let us know how u go

Thanks Shaohaok.

I think that post is standard pistons - don't think it's a forged set....also I'm not sure I'm going to be aiming 300hp+ (never know though)

either way it's pretty much where I was figuring the weak spot in the 1zz would be...

As for brakes - if it ends up being new calipers, discs, pads that's fine.....I want to be able to stop from whatever speeds the car can get up to :)

Cheers...

Again will keep everyone posted as I buy / install parts etc :)

(And what trouble I run into along the way)

Hi paradox667,

Mate this sounds like an awesome transformation that you are looking to undertake all of us here would love to see the output.

As some of the guys are stating i think you need to write it all down on paper and look at the costs as i dont think your 10-15K will be cutting it as you can see a lot of the hidden costs are starting to come out.

Just 1 more thing to bear in mind is insurance.... If ur planing to drive this thing on the road check this aspect out as well as u dont want to have this monster just sitting there in ur drive way :( :( :( :(

other than that mate good luck and let us know how things go.

cheers

Billl

inlet manifold.

Is the stock aus-delivered inlet manifold plastic? if so it may not hold up well to a decent amount of boost. With those low compresison pistons you will want to run at least 15psi to make it fun.

with over 150kw ATW you will need an LSD, so that's another $1500 or more depending on your mechanical skills.

Then there's the mandatory 3" mandrel exhaust and all the other little bits that add up :P

If it was me, I'd go to the local jap wreckers and purchase a spare 1ZZ long motor to do the buildup with. That way it will reduce the amount of time the car's off the road by a couple of months for a minimal outlay (in comparison to total cost of buildup)

inlet manifold.

Is the stock aus-delivered inlet manifold plastic?  if so it may not hold up well to a decent amount of boost.  With those low compresison pistons you will want to run at least 15psi to make it fun.

with over 150kw ATW you will need an LSD, so that's another $1500 or more depending on your mechanical skills.

Then there's the mandatory 3" mandrel exhaust and all the other little bits that add up :P

If it was me, I'd go to the local jap wreckers and purchase a spare 1ZZ long motor to do the buildup with.  That way it will reduce the amount of time the car's off the road by a couple of months for a minimal outlay (in comparison to total cost of buildup)

i totally agree with rollamods. although purchasing an extra 1zz is going to be more costly in the long run as these engines are very expensive although would make build very easy as the engine is out and will be mounted.

paradox. it will be a hard build. as we've experienced in a ae92 sx and doing a mr2 3sgte transplant running a garett t88 yes (1000hp) turbo was planned and budgetted to $20k, the build ended up costing us $32k so far..... there are hidden costs and tuning and labour are very very expensive.

write parts down and price. and to save labour purchase the whole lot and really think about what your doing if your going through this. i'd atleast outlay a figure of $25k for this build so you know what your up against. Its not going to be a short mod so expect time delays etc etc. don't rush it as its only going to drop quality of workmanship. where abouts are you?

by the way if you want to know who MRT is jus visit www.mrt.com.au mainly for subie's but they are (i've heard) one of the best for building gearboxes.

Rollamods: Inlet manifold will need to be another custom job more $$ :D

15 psi would be about right (maybe a bit much initially)

Stylin:

Damn that must be a quick ae92 :D

In my head I'd allowed extra for all the unthought of things - but not another 10k...

I'll have to see if I can get parts cheaper and get everything I think I'll need before I get to the 'install' stage.

The idea of buying a long block will be many $$ (am in adelaide s.a) but again has it's very good points...means I could have the build all completed as such before it goes into the car. I'll have to look into how much an 1zzfe with vvti (some of the early american models didn't have vvti) will set me back....

btw: went to www.mrt.com.au .....

"MRT Offroad is a Sydney based company Selling and Hiring Camper Trailers"???

Either way cheers for providing quality feedback on the planning stage ... it's most appreciated because it means I can aim to cover everything.

(even if it ends up costing me 20k more {at least on paper})

a 1ZZ long motor (without inlet manifold, coils, injectors, flywheel, sensors, etc etc) shouldn't set you back more than $1500, which is very little compared to the amount of labour you will be paying for. Also take into account the cost to you of having your car off the road for a couple of months.

if you can't DIY, the labour is usually the most expensive part of a conversion like this, especially if it's done at a "performance" workshop.

ae92 sx with 3sgte.... i won't say figures i'll get some dyno sheets for you but it won't be soon.

$32k + on build. if it doesn't do 10sec runs we were stupid to spend the money.

3sgte engine was the best option.

check out an old issue of autosalon... starlet with 3sgte in it. with half the work done to it.

same people doing the ae92. Labrador Gold coast. Subzero.

starlet was doing 10's.

go figure..

paradox - my bad its www.mrtyrally.com.au

3sgte swap is not legal as far as I know in 2003 corolla at least - retro fitting engine.

3sgte would then need to comply with ALL adr's for 2003 and would be more for engineers (if it was even possible to make legal)

also as for 4wd conversion --> fensport did one in the uk and it cost them over $250 k - but then it's also one of the fastest corolla's around :) -- I would love to do it though - would be wild :D

*shrug*

That ae92 would be crazy - 10 seconds or LESS without any dramas :D

Edited by Guest

3sgte swap is not legal as far as I know in 2003 corolla at least - retro fitting engine.

3sgte would then need to comply with ALL adr's for 2003 and would be more for engineers (if it was even possible to make legal)

also as for 4wd conversion --> fensport did one in the uk and it cost them over $250 k - but then it's also one of the fastest corolla's around :) -- I would love to do it though - would be wild :D

*shrug*

That ae92 would be crazy - 10 seconds or LESS without any dramas :D

paradox.. i wasn't implying that you put a 3sgte in your rolla. sorry if you had that impression.

you know what i wonder if toyota rally would sell a crashed corolla.... i'm sure they'd have one laying around... then the only thing to do would be body work etc etc and some engine mods and engineer aprovals... imagine the output on the engines out of them....

yes imagine this in the ae92... from launching a few times (and i mean only bout 5times) the muffler is badley dented.... it actually smashes the back end down. although it doesn't help that the stock suspension is still there. There is problems with launching as we're not getting much traction. on the dyno its managed to slip. this is why alot more money is involved just fine tuning the car. although its fun to think this might have a potential to do very low 10's on street trim. we're expecting to wait a further 6months. the build has taken 8months already. most on the engine but there are other work done like wide body, chasis being strenghtened etc etc... all the extra $$$.