Aurion ATX Fog Light Installation

rayy

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting! Firstly, thanks so much for reading, and some of the posts in this forum are absolutely fantastic! Especially the installation ones!

Right, as for why Im posting now: Does anyone know where the Aurion ATX fog light switch wiring is, in the Instrument Panel?

I've been trying to install an aftermarket set of fog lamps into my stock ATX Aurion. From a tip from DJKOR in another thread, I managed to install the actual lights & surrounding plastic thingy (bezel??) into the existing space in the front of my car, by removing the undercarriage cover. (PS broke 2 of those pop-out clips, for anyone looking to do this again and being noob like me, make sure to pop the middle bit out first, before taking the whole clip out). Fortunately, there was already wiring there for the fog lamps, so I just hooked this up to the lamps.

My next step finding where this wiring finishes up inside the instrument panel, specifically the fog light switch? Presumably, since the Sportivo & up models have the light switch mounted on one of the storks, the wiring is somewhere near the bunch near the steering column, but does anyone know where?

Thanks so much for your help in advance! Appreciate it!

PS: Aurions are absolutely fantastic!!!

Rayy

You'll firstly need to put a relay into the fuse panel that is located behind the glove box.

Now when it came to fitting the fog lights in Ingres' AT-X, I first tried to find where the wiring harness from the steering column went so I could tap into it without removing the steering wheel. Unfortunately though, my patience got the best of me and I figured it may be more difficult to tap into the harness further back from the steering column.

The best way in my opinion is to remove the cover surrounding the steering column and tap into the harness directly at the connector. Previously I said you will need to remove the steering wheel to remove this cover because the two screws that hold the cover on are directly behind the steering wheel. Not long later though, I realised that if you simply turn the steering wheel, you can access the screws therefore you won't have to remove the steering wheel.

Unfortunately I didn't quite take note of which colour wires were for the fog light control.

Hey, welcome to the forums :D

I just installed my foglights the other day on a zre corolla, so im not sure if this would apply to you. If its similar then you might need a relay to be instaled just under the headunit on the right. Behind there is one wire which is for switches, on a relay this is pin 86.

Im not 100% on how wiring the push switch should be done properly, i was shown by another member and wired mine up and it didnt work. So i randomly spliced and put the acc cable behind the headunit, one wire to the relay switch and grounded the final wire. Still it didnt work, then drove the car in the afternoon and thought i'll push the switch in for the fun of it and it turned on :D The foglight indicator even turns on the dash

but after driving at night i noticed that i can only turn it on once every few hours. If the engine turns off or i turn them off, they wont come back on for a few hours. So you might be better off going to an auto electrician to install it if you want it done properly. I dont do alot of night driving so i dont mind if they dont work all the time.

Sorry i just read djkor's post and this is probably irrelevant to you. But i will leave it just in case its possible.

Edited by pezzie

Sorry i just read djkor's post and this is probably irrelevant to you. But i will leave it just in case its possible.

You do make a valid point that I didn't consider though. When it comes to tapping into the wiring harness to switch on the relay, it makes perfect sense to tap into it from the fuse panel/distribution panel located behind the glove box where the relay is fitted. This would keep everything neat.

Only issue though would be finding the right wires since this panel has pretty much every wire for the car electrics on it. But if you could find it, it certainly would work.

Thanks for the responses guys!

To clarify the wires for the fog light switch dont actually end in a connector, they just end in wire form? Or would they be part of the stork connector, however not connected to anything on the stork side?

Doh! Was hoping to avoid splicing wires, but sounds like itll have to be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Got it done now have working foglights =)

For future reference, the purple with silver flecks and white with flecks wires were what was the switch wiring for the foglights underneath the steering column. Where the wire is will hook up to the connector to the right stork, but if you look closely there is no connector on the stork side.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For future reference, the purple with silver flecks and white with flecks wires were what was the switch wiring for the foglights underneath the steering column. Where the wire is will hook up to the connector to the right stork, but if you look closely there is no connector on the stork side.

I've installed some ebay purchased fog lights into my 09 update ATX Aurion but the wiring harness for the indicator/headlight stalk on my vehicle doesn't seem to be the same as described above. Below is a pic of my wiring harness for the indicator/headlight stalk. Am I missing something here? Where are the fog light switch wires? Is this somehow different from earlier model Aurions?

W_Harness.jpg

Edited by xpedite

• 3 weeks later...

G'day everyone,

Just wanted confirmation about the Fog Light installation... I've read the many topics from this forum about it, and I also had a peep at the Corolla (Yaris) fog light installation on this forum as well... And it uses the Genuine indicator stork with fog light switch on it... Was wanted to know, I have installed the lights, and connected them to the Factory Wireharness, I have the Relay ready to be installed behind the glove box... All I need to do now is Remove steering wheel, And remove the original Indicator stork, with the new indicator stork with the fog light switch on it... Then this is all that needs to be done?

Also... was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative place to get the Indicator stork with fog light switch, I've been asking around and the general response I get is between $300 - $350 for a new Genuine Indicator stork... Part number (84140-06430) ...

Confirmation and any further response would be fantastic and much appreciated!

Thanks in advanced :)

Daniel

I have been getting quotes from wreckers for around $200 second hand for the indicator stalk. As far as I know once you install that and the relay it should be good to go, but I have read somewhere about a spring that you need to be careful with when installing the stalk so something to look out for. Good luck with it all hope it works out ok.

Page 5 of this post has info on the spring.

I have been getting quotes from wreckers for around $200 second hand for the indicator stalk. As far as I know once you install that and the relay it should be good to go, but I have read somewhere about a spring that you need to be careful with when installing the stalk so something to look out for. Good luck with it all hope it works out ok.

Page 5 of this post has info on the spring.

Thanks very much yeah, I read that bit, so I'm a bit nervous but I do like D.I.Y much cheaper and better satisfaction haha! I've asked around wreckers and unfortunately I either get the response that the Aurion is too new and they don't have any, or that they have aurions in stock but just none with fog lights haha! I should be patient, but after 3 months of waiting for a cheaper option for genuine indicator stork haha my patience is getting the better of me haha!

Thanks for the quick reply :)

• 1 month later...

I have installed the lights, and connected them to the Factory Wireharness, I have the Relay ready to be installed behind the glove box... All I need to do now is Remove steering wheel, And remove the original Indicator stork, with the new indicator stork with the fog light switch on it... Then this is all that needs to be done?

What you need to watch out for with the clock spring is once you remove the steering wheel, if you break the clock spring it will cost you $600 or thereabouts to replace. When refitting the clock spring, it may seem that thing will just turn and turn, it actually doesn't I think it only turns 4 revolutions either way. Clock spring is not fragile it won't fall apart on you, it connects electrical for your steering wheel switches.

Getting the little fog light indicator to work inside your cluster is something that still eludes me. Toyota doesn't seem to have a part number for the globe. They suggest I buy a new cluster which costs $700 just for the driving light to display. If anyone has a part number for it, would appreciate it!

Edited by troubled

• 4 months later...

You'll firstly need to put a relay into the fuse panel that is located behind the glove box.

Now when it came to fitting the fog lights in Ingres' AT-X, I first tried to find where the wiring harness from the steering column went so I could tap into it without removing the steering wheel. Unfortunately though, my patience got the best of me and I figured it may be more difficult to tap into the harness further back from the steering column.

The best way in my opinion is to remove the cover surrounding the steering column and tap into the harness directly at the connector. Previously I said you will need to remove the steering wheel to remove this cover because the two screws that hold the cover on are directly behind the steering wheel. Not long later though, I realised that if you simply turn the steering wheel, you can access the screws therefore you won't have to remove the steering wheel.

Unfortunately I didn't quite take note of which colour wires were for the fog light control.

Hi Daryl, could you please confirm that I won't be needing to remove the steering wheel (just turn the wheel to access the screws) if I wanted to replace the indicator stalk with one with the fog switch on it? As I want to use the existing wiring harness will all I need is the relay?

Hi Daryl, could you please confirm that I won't be needing to remove the steering wheel (just turn the wheel to access the screws) if I wanted to replace the indicator stalk with one with the fog switch on it? As I want to use the existing wiring harness will all I need is the relay?

No. That statement was only applicable if you wanted to connect a standard fog light switch to the existing wiring harness. If you want to change the indicator stalk, you must remove the steering wheel.

• 4 months later...

Hi, can anyone tell me where the relay goes in the fuse box behind the glovebox? Is there an easy way to get to it? Also what colour wires you need to tap into. Does anyone have a picture of relay fitted and wires tapped? Sorry for so many questions, I am very new to tinkering and don't want to get it wrong!