2010 Corolla driver's side mirror

Today I noticed a black line in the driver's side mirror of my 2010 Ascent hatch ZRE. It is about 3 cm from the right end and goes vertically all the way from top to bottom. It is on the inside and can't be felt by touching the mirror. I looked at a 2009 Ascent in a car park and its mirror doesn't have this.

I don't see any difference in the reflected image on the smaller end, so it's not like it's a different type of mirror.

The manual doesn't mention this but that line looks like it is meant to be there. What is its purpose?

Today I noticed a black line in the driver's side mirror of my 2010 Ascent hatch ZRE. It is about 3 cm from the right end and goes vertically all the way from top to bottom. It is on the inside and can't be felt by touching the mirror. I looked at a 2009 Ascent in a car park and its mirror doesn't have this.

I don't see any difference in the reflected image on the smaller end, so it's not like it's a different type of mirror.

The manual doesn't mention this but that line looks like it is meant to be there. What is its purpose?

It is a aspheric type rear view mirror which increases the curvature of the mirror past the black line which assists in eliminating blind spots.

I cant exactly remember if its on the 08 zre.. my guess is so you have a wider angle of view? Someone correct me if im wrong.

Noticed one of these on the company Astra the other month when I went on a mine-site visit, thought it was a crack at first but you could quite easily see the distortion to the right of the line.

• 4 months later...

It is a aspheric type rear view mirror which increases the curvature of the mirror past the black line which assists in eliminating blind spots.

Thanks, I'm hearing that several other brands also have it. It makes sense, but try as hard as I may, the curvature past the line must be very subtle, as I can't see it. Anyway, it's a nice touch.

Thanks, I'm hearing that several other brands also have it. It makes sense, but try as hard as I may, the curvature past the line must be very subtle, as I can't see it. Anyway, it's a nice touch.

The surface doesn't necessarily have to change, if could be the thickness of the glass and the shape of the reflector behind it that can change the way the mirror reflects.

The surface doesn't necessarily have to change, if could be the thickness of the glass and the shape of the reflector behind it that can change the way the mirror reflects.

Id prefer to have a flat mirror and put up with the blind spot. I just cant seem to get the hang of trying to guess where the car ends and how close i am to hitting something. Can anyone suggest a supplier to replace the curved mirror with a flat one. Ive consider sikaflexing a flat mirror over the original one but dont like shoddy looking work and that would look very dodgy.

Edited by davo231481

• 2 years later...