Engine Mech Querry

Lupetto

Morning to all,

First off - WOW forum looks better nice work with the upgrade.

Secondly - I have been away from here for way to long... but since i was working in Country town Clare + driving back and forward from Clare to Adelaide (150km there and 150km back total of 300km in a day trip) Plus 4 trips to Melbourne and back, Guess what I HAVE RACKED UP 200K Km....

Now im thinking, those KM are not good... and doing some hunting during the day a second hand 2AZ-FE engine will cost me a Wooping $3,250 and 160k km on the clock... is it really worth it?

so my options are

- F/E Engine swap? Any one heard of a 3S-GTE swap in 02-06 camrys?

- Engine swap with a 02 - 06 V6 engine (sorry cannot remember the engine model but most of you will get the idea) - but will it fit 2AZ-FE running gear? i.e 5 speed manual Gearbox?

- Engine Reconditioning? - if this is the case would it be worth changine Pistons, Cams etc etc?

Just need a good idea of what to do and what not too do... Would like to budget myself for 5/8k

Thanks boys and girls.

ALSO when the hell are we going to do a Toyota Cruise in SA?

Is there _wrong_ with the engine? Open-road kms are some of the easiest kms that an engine can do. My '97 AE102 has racked up 325,000km on the original un-opened engine and apart from a bit of oil consumption it still runs great. But because it did most of those k's on open-road highways and freeways, and was run in properly, it is im much better nick than an engine that might have done 200,000km LESS but poorly serviced/driven in heavy city traffic for all it's life.

$3.5k is not worth what is essentially just winding the clock back 40,00km on the engine. A rebuild will probably cost about the same and get you an engine in much better nick, and you'll know the history of it too.

You wanna pay for the fuel and running costs of a 3SGTE? Just ask Dan and Greg... will only take Premium and chew through it. There's waayyy too much work to just "swap" the engine around so to speak.

200k is fine for any Camry engine man. Mine's just hit 198k and I'm not even the slightest bit worried. I'll be getting the usual 200k service and possibly replace some engine mounts too (wow, move around much?) so yeah.

Camry engines are able to last well over 400k if you look after them right. I know someone with a Gen 5 ex Taxi and it's done over 500k... mind you, oil woulda been replaced every couple of weeks (around 3-5k)

Yeah mate. I wouldn't be worrying about having 200,000km on the clock. My old 1991 Camry had 316,000km or there abouts when I changed to an Aurion and that Camry engine was still running with no problems. This was a car that was used a lot for city type driving as well. Only had the usual services such as oil, spark plugs and leads, timing belt, etc.

It's only if you are staring to develop serious issues then you will need to worry about changing/rebuilding your engine. No need to panic in the meantime though.