Intermittent electrical problem

vando

Intermittently when driving, the radio or at night, the head lights cut out. It seems to happen more often when the air conditioner is on or when the wipers are turned on. I have also noticed the lights dim when the indicators are turned on also. I think it seemed to happen after I had a new thermistic fan installed or it could have been made worse.

Do they flicker or just shut straight off? Could possibly be a short of some sort.

The lights and radio which are the most easily observed effect turn on and off within a second then it may be another 60 seconds say, and this time varies, before it happens again. It almost times in with the thermistic fan switching on and off when the A/C is on

• 2 weeks later...

Intermittently when driving, the radio or at night, the head lights cut out. It seems to happen more often when the air conditioner is on or when the wipers are turned on. I have also noticed the lights dim when the indicators are turned on also. I think it seemed to happen after I had a new thermistic fan installed or it could have been made worse.

Hey I am having the exact same issue. It blows my thermo an fuse as well. I have not had new themo fans installed but. Toyota wagga said they could not find the issue nor did natrad!!

Did you end up getting it fixed?

I found that the battery was nearly empty of fluid. I refilled it and it didnt seem to do it as much. But I went to battery world and they did a stress test on the battery and it was on the out. So I got a new battery and so far all the issues are gone. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that the battery was nearly empty of fluid. I refilled it and it didnt seem to do it as much. But I went to battery world and they did a stress test on the battery and it was on the out. So I got a new battery and so far all the issues are gone. Fingers crossed.

Well that was a fail, still does it....Time to call a sparky....

• 7 months later...

How'd the sparky go?

Well finally last week I took it to a good sparky and he found that there was a short. The short was in the cabin just behind the fuse block and a wire had rubbed thru to steel some where. But my stereo still cuts out every now and then, I also notice the clock dim as it happens. I will be taking it back to get that checked.

• 5 months later...

How'd the sparky go?

Well finally last week I took it to a good sparky and he found that there was a short. The short was in the cabin just behind the fuse block and a wire had rubbed thru to steel some where. But my stereo still cuts out every now and then, I also notice the clock dim as it happens. I will be taking it back to get that checked.

After putting up with the issue of dimming lights underload and random stereo cut outs, I had had enough. I was going to take it back to the sparky that lloked at it last time but I found out he had shut his doors. But my mate a mechanic told me it sounds like a earth issue. So I looked at all of my earth wiring but there was nothing I could see. So I gave them all a bit of a bend and wriggle around. The bigger ones made alot of crunching sounds. Which I thought was weird but since then all of the dimming and cut outs have gone for at least a month and still going.

hrmmm,..

this seems to happen to me as well,

only if the aircon is on fullblast and heat.

then my high beams sorta flickers,

not the radio though,

:S

• 5 years later...
On 05/06/2011 at 9:17 AM, drkoko said:

After putting up with the issue of dimming lights underload and random stereo cut outs, I had had enough. I was going to take it back to the sparky that lloked at it last time but I found out he had shut his doors. But my mate a mechanic told me it sounds like a earth issue. So I looked at all of my earth wiring but there was nothing I could see. So I gave them all a bit of a bend and wriggle around. The bigger ones made alot of crunching sounds. Which I thought was weird but since then all of the dimming and cut outs have gone for at least a month and still going.

HI , I have same problems.

all my aircon and GPS unit / RADIO looses power temporarily 3 seconds or so.

some times engine shuts off too. which is dangerouse.

did you end up finding the solution of this ?

reply would be very appreciated.

I have 2004 camry MCV36R Grande - full option with GPS.