Is there a fix for vague steering in the stivo?

I love my 2005 stivo, but I've never liked the steering. It pales in comparison to many other lesser cars, things like base model Fiestas and other such sporty european drives.

It feels vague, lifeless, over-assisted and almost like I'm driving a bus sometimes.

Is there any way to fix this? A quicker steering rack? Suspension mods? Specific wheel alignment settings?

Edited by joefish1298

I found that I regained some 'feel' once I put the Cusco coilovers on. But it was still pretty lifeless.

I too wonder if a powersteering place could turn down the pump assist to provide more feel. The powersteering gets nice and weighty once you start to move faster than the pump can keep up with.

I found that I regained some 'feel' once I put the Cusco coilovers on. But it was still pretty lifeless.

I too wonder if a powersteering place could turn down the pump assist to provide more feel. The powersteering gets nice and weighty once you start to move faster than the pump can keep up with.

I personally think that my steering has significantly lightened up since the service this morning, alot LESS effort needs to be made lol :lol:

i have never had an issue with the steering, but coilovers as sd has said will help you 'feel' the road better, however they comprimise ride comfort.

maybe look into it a bit further, and just see what you could do, i have had to turn the wheels with power steering off, and its almost impossible :o

Evo

maybe look into it a bit further, and just see what you could do, i have had to turn the wheels with power steering off, and its almost impossible :o

Evo

i was about to say just remove the belt for the p/s, that'll give you plenty of feel :D

U can get SuperPro eccentric front lower control arm rear bushes that increase caster. This slightly increases steering effort and improves stability and dynamic camber. Well worth it IMO.