Reducing body roll to the point of elimination.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to seek some advice in regards to reducing existing front end body roll on a corolla sportivo.

Car currently has KYB struts paired with King springs low, Whiteline rear sway bar and a Whiteline front strut tower brace.

I would like to reduce the body roll at the front, to the point where the car itself will drive like its on rails in twisties.

Would fitting TRD front and rear stabilizers (Part #: 48800-ZT300) be the way to go, in regards to significantly reducing body roll close to 100%?

http://www.nengun.com/trd/stablizer-set

The TRD stablizer set dramatically reduces body roll without reducing ride comfort for street driven vehicles. The reduced body roll translates into overall improved and more predictable vehicle handling during heavy cornering load.

Features

- Kit includes Stablizer Bar + Bushes

- Dramatically reduces body roll

- Stiffer than standard from 20 to 100%

- Features hollow or solid shaft design

Thanks,

Row.

post-14950-127432014012_thumb.jpg

i guess the next option could be stiffening the body of the car. the stiffer the suspension is, the more the body will tend to flex. maybe invest in coilovers as well.

i guess the next option could be stiffening the body of the car. the stiffer the suspension is, the more the body will tend to flex. maybe invest in coilovers as well.

If I was to upgrade to coilovers, my choice would be getting Cusco Zero 1 or 2 installed.

My question now is, will coilovers alone reduce the body roll or would I need to consider other things like adding stabilizers, camber bolts, etc, to the front end?

Go to Bunnings, buy as many bricks as you can fit in your sportivo, right to the roof, spread them out all through the car

Wallah

No more body roll

whitestivo

Mate, I think you had been dropped when you were a baby. :P

ha, would work though, and probably cheap as... you would still nail newere corolla's cause you got LIFT

check the sidewall height of your tyres, they can provide a lot of roll, i think you have 16's, so worth a look

whitestivo

If I was to upgrade to coilovers, my choice would be getting Cusco 1 or 2 installed. Do it right the 1st time, or don't bother with it at all.

My question now is, will coilovers alone reduce the body roll or would I need to consider other things like adding stabilizers, camber bolts, etc, to the front end?

Camber bolts have nothing to do with body roll, so you don't need those.

Antiroll bars should only be used to trim under/oversteer; the springs are used to control body roll. Yes the TRD (or any) front antiroll bar will reduce the front roll.

Zero body roll is very hard to achieve and there is nothing actually wrong with some body roll. There is also a difference to a car that 'feels like it is on rails' and a car that has actually been improved. A car needs to be setup as soft as possible to keep it off of the bump stops.

The difference between coilovers and a quality spring and strut combo is stuff all, one just gives you the ability to say you have coilovers and ease of some adjustments. The Cusco coilovers are a great setup though.

The springs are used to control body roll. Yes the TRD (or any) front antiroll bar will reduce the front roll.

The difference between coilovers and a quality spring and strut combo is stuff all.

The Cusco coilovers are a great setup though.

Thanks for the insight SD... truly Super! As for upgrading to coilovers, I will see how I go with my current spring and strut combo when I get around to adding a front stabilizer. If I'm still not satisfied with how the front end performs after that, then Cusco Zero coilovers will be my path to take, to achieve my goals for her. Cheers! :yahoo:

The springs are used to control body roll. Yes the TRD (or any) front antiroll bar will reduce the front roll.

The difference between coilovers and a quality spring and strut combo is stuff all.

The Cusco coilovers are a great setup though.

Thanks for the insight SD... truly Super! As for upgrading to coilovers, I will see how I go with my current spring and strut combo when I get around to adding a front stabilizer. If I'm still not satisfied with how the front end performs after that, then Cusco Zero coilovers will be my path to achieve my goals for her. Cheers! :yahoo:

Don't forget though that the upgraded front antiroll bar will promote some understeer.

drive like its on rails in twisties

Hrmmm.. not happy with ur handling on the mountain run of the last meet eh? lol

Edited by johnnieboi

ha, would work though, and probably cheap as... you would still nail newere corolla's cause you got LIFT

check the sidewall height of your tyres, they can provide a lot of roll, i think you have 16's, so worth a look

whitestivo

I don't have a problem nailing even a 2009 Polo GTi on corners and straight ways by that matter. But care to elaborate in regards to tyre walls? The lower the tyre profile are, the better the handling on corners equating to less body roll?

In addition, having a slight negative camber maybe to 1-1.5 will help minimise the tyre from rolling in the insides on corners, but adding camber bolts would just increase maintenance for me. Hence, I considered camber bolts as an option in my first post in dealing with the unwanted front sway.

Cheers.

Hrmmm.. not happy with ur handling on the mountain run of the last meet eh? lol

Well, considering I had less than 3 hours sleep for the cruise, I would safely say the handling could be tweaked more to minimise the body roll I'm still experiencing at the front end.

I dislike my rear end sliding sideways on the leather seat, even though that could be fixed with a bucket seat. But I like the cheap leather look for now :lol:

I think a front stabilizer should reduce most of the unwanted sway and if I need to tweak it even more, then Cusco Zero's are going in the future so my suspension guy can tweak the setup up by dampening any unwanted spring motion. In the long run it would be beneficial, as I can have my suspension settings switched back and forth depending on driving conditions/events.

when u put those coilovers in, those KYBs ARE MINE :D when u buying them? lol

Hehe, I worked out a deal with a mate who has the Cusco Zero 2's. I will give him $$$ and my KYB struts+king lows to him in exchange for his coils. But that won't happen unless he sells his car.

Hehe, I worked out a deal with a mate who has the Cusco Zero 2's. I will give him $$$ and my KYB struts+king lows to him in exchange for his coils. But that won't happen unless he sells his car.

lol firstly i wanted his car badd! but the price is pushing me away....im trying to sell my car, but theres a big gap of price differences between mine and his.

lol firstly i wanted his car badd! but the price is pushing me away....im trying to sell my car, but theres a big gap of price differences between mine and his.

told Jase to sell for $19K flat without the coils, but instead with my KYB+Kings as I'm also paying him heaps of cash on top of it. But I guess if you won't buy it for that price, maybe someone will...Hopefully. Only if Jase sold this to me last year when i asked him too, i would have just needed to work on the power management aspect of the car. Fark $19K super cheap for very low kms, not to mention the stuff included in the sale too. Quick trung, sell ur car!! hehehe

But care to elaborate in regards to tyre walls? The lower the tyre profile are, the better the handling on corners equating to less body roll?

In addition, having a slight negative camber maybe to 1-1.5 will help minimise the tyre from rolling in the insides on corners, but adding camber bolts would just increase maintenance for me. Hence, I considered camber bolts as an option in my first post in dealing with the unwanted front sway.

The sidewalls do flex a lot, however this has next to no affect on the overall body roll of the vehicle. As long as there are springs there physics says it will roll. A shorter sidewall isn't always better as the sidewall forms part of the suspension. Look at the sidewall ratios of slicks and semi slicks (like RE55S and D03G) and you will not see any low profile tyres in the line up. Tyres have a slip angle they like, low profile tyres struggle to reach and maintain the slip angle compared to a normal sidewall; but you can go to too large a sidewall.

There is no extra maintenance from running a bit of negative camber, -1.5º isn't much at the end of the day and as long as your individual toe is set to zero you won't even notice inside shoulder wear. Camber adjustments are there to allow the tyre to sit perpendicular to the road surface while cornering so that the whole tread face is in contact with the road, nothing to do with roll.