got the transmission serviced.

Should the transmission filter be replaced? Should I supply my own oil and filter? (If he does not have stock I'm thinking of quickly popping by the dealer and getting oil and filter), I heard that almost half of the oil is in the toque converter and some mechanics don't bother to flush the rest out of this, is it wise to ask for him to do it properly by flushing it out from there as well?

Any other things I should note/know before I do this service?

Edited by unique

With the amount of K's your car has done, getting a transmission fluid change isn't a bad idea. It's not absolutely necessary and I'd be leaning more towards getttin it done between 75,000 and 90,000 km for this transmission, but it's all personal preference.

I'd highly recommend getting your ATF strainer changed at the same time. If he can flush it (using we fluid only) then that wouldn't be a bad idea as well. It just depends on how much you want to spend on extra fluid.

I still have a brand new strainer and sump gasket at home (unfortunately) and from memory I payed something like $110 trade price for the strainer, strainer o-rings, and sump gasket.

As for fluid, if you want tried and tested, stick with the genuine Toyota stuff. It's about $45 for a 5 litre can, no smaller. There are alternatives by they are a little harder to find because they have to be WS (World Standard) type. Such alternatives are Amsoil ATL and Fuchs ATF4400. I don't think anyone here has tried either yet. I was going to try the Fuchs stuff, but never got there.

Cheers mate. I'm actually at the mechanic now. He is too busy to do my car today but Ill book it for another day. I want to do this as a preventitive measure also so gunk never gets a chance to build up and I have no fear of the tranny dieing *shudder*.

By strainer do you mean filter because I'll be getting all that replaced too.

The mechanic showed me his stock of Toyota authentic oils and filters so he already has the right parts and oils handy. I think he said all up $75.

Where are you located? Eventually my car will come out of warranty and if there were mechs nearby that know their way about toyotas, that would be brilliant.

Cheers mate. I'm actually at the mechanic now. He is too busy to do my car today but Ill book it for another day. I want to do this as a preventitive measure also so gunk never gets a chance to build up and I have no fear of the tranny dieing *shudder*.

The mechanic showed me his stock of Toyota authentic oils and filters so he already has the right parts and oils handy. I think he said all up $75.

Yes. The ATF strainer is what you would call a filter.

That's not including the strainer right? Cause even at cost price, I don't think you can get that part alone for much cheaper than that.

Yes. The ATF strainer is what you would call a filter.

That's not including the strainer right? Cause even at cost price, I don't think you can get that part alone for much cheaper than that.

Yeah, my bad. I was reading your posts through my iPhone while at the mechanic and I asked him about the strainer. He said there is no need to change it but I insisted he change it. So he gave a few calls to dealers to get prices for me and it was from $110 to $115. Way too expensive. The mechanic said seriously don't bother with a new one, we will clean it for you anyway. So I won't be getting the strainer as they will clean current one. Even on the phone (dealer was on loud speaker) asked why you need a strainer at 60K!

It will be a full flush and about 6~ litres of toyota ATF and the gasket etc.

Today watching them do dads car, they done a decent flush. They cleaned everything to even degreasing and high pressuring the oil pan.

The mechanic also insisted to come back 10-20K later as he says its too early but my personal preference I'll get it done.

Got my car booked in for Tuesday.

They said to do a full flush they need to run the car hot for like 10 minutes and do something and something else. Didn't quite follow but they sound like they know what they are doing.

He said that he used to drive a ZR6 when working at the dealer :lol:. Now he has a merc.

So far everything with them have been up front and honest without any up selling what so ever.

Don't want to be pushing my luck though :)

Edited by unique

Where are you located? Eventually my car will come out of warranty and if there were mechs nearby that know their way about toyotas, that would be brilliant.

I sent you a PM. Unfurtunitally(kind of) I have warranty so I still need log book servicing for another three years. These guys will do everything else for me like brakes etc and I'll take it to the dealer just for oil and filter to keep the Toyota boys happy. <_<

As said, it's your choice what you want to do, but if they are dropping the pan anyways, it's only an extra few minutes needed to change the strainer. But like I said, my recommendation is to do all this around 75,000 - 90,000 km.

But then again, I do stuff myself so the cost of a strainer doesn't matter for me. It's more comforting to start fresh.

As for cleaning out the strainer, I'd have my doubts personally. It's like a weaved synthetic fibre type element and it looks like something intended for single use and it isn't something I would think can be cleaned thoroughly with ease:

dsc05927vi.th.jpg dsc05928c.th.jpg

Hmmmm. That is interesting. Is that the WHOLE strainer? That looks like a new oil pan to me? Which part is that? Is the strainer built in to the pan?

This diagram should give you a better understanding:

transmissionu.jpg

Oh I get it but correct me if I'm wrong. That strainer is a whole assembly which sit INSIDE? Then the metal pan gets bolted on top.

Because I thought the strainer looked something like a normal air filter not a whole housing like that.

I diagram also says that O ring is not a re-usable part. Does that o ring come with the strainer or sold separately? I think I might as well fork out the hundred bux for it and get it done properly while I'm at it.

Thanks man :)

edit: what does WS stand for?

Edited by unique

Everything goes together in the exact same order as you see in that diagram. So to change the strainer, you need to remove the transmission oil pan. This is why it's convenient to change it if they are dropping the pan in the first place.

The o-ring is sold separately to the strainer, but common sense would mean you buy it at the same time as buying the strainer. The o-ring only needs replacement if the strainer is removed since it is attached separately to the oil pan.

As said in my first post at the top:

As for fluid, if you want tried and tested, stick with the genuine Toyota stuff. It's about $45 for a 5 litre can, no smaller. There are alternatives by they are a little harder to find because they have to be
WS (World Standard)
type. Such alternatives are Amsoil ATL and Fuchs ATF4400. I don't think anyone here has tried either yet. I was going to try the Fuchs stuff, but never got there.

As for what it is, according to Toyota:

World Standard (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was introduced to reduce maintenance costs and increase the mileage between scheduled maintenance checks.

Here are some important tips when working with ATF-WS in Toyota vehicles requiring its use.

2004 – 2008 model year Toyota vehicles equipped with automatic transaxle requiring ATF-WS.

- 100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.

- The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.

- The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.

- ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

- Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should always be sealed — If exposed to the atmosphere, ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if used in operation.

- One time use only.

- When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use only new, clean ATF–WS when refilling the ATM.

- ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid drained from the overflow plug should be discarded following proper local regulations and never reused. Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.

Yes they said it should last the life of the vehicle, but depending on how the car is used and each individual's opinion, this is not necessarily true.

Everything goes together in the exact same order as you see in that diagram. So to change the strainer, you need to remove the transmission oil pan. This is why it's convenient to change it if they are dropping the pan in the first place.

The o-ring is sold separately to the strainer, but common sense would mean you buy it at the same time as buying the strainer. The o-ring only needs replacement if the strainer is removed since it is attached separately to the oil pan.

As said in my first post at the top:

As for fluid, if you want tried and tested, stick with the genuine Toyota stuff. It's about $45 for a 5 litre can, no smaller. There are alternatives by they are a little harder to find because they have to be
WS (World Standard)
type. Such alternatives are Amsoil ATL and Fuchs ATF4400. I don't think anyone here has tried either yet. I was going to try the Fuchs stuff, but never got there.

As for what it is, according to Toyota:

World Standard (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was introduced to reduce maintenance costs and increase the mileage between scheduled maintenance checks.

Here are some important tips when working with ATF-WS in Toyota vehicles requiring its use.

2004 – 2008 model year Toyota vehicles equipped with automatic transaxle requiring ATF-WS.

- 100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.

- The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.

- The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.

- ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

- Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should always be sealed — If exposed to the atmosphere, ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if used in operation.

- One time use only.

- When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use only new, clean ATF–WS when refilling the ATM.

- ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid drained from the overflow plug should be discarded following proper local regulations and never reused. Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.

Yes they said it should last the life of the vehicle, but depending on how the car is used and each individual's opinion, this is not necessarily true.

No way would I use it for the life time of the vehicle. I remember my old 97 camry. I doubt that car ever had its transmission changed. I remember when I got it serviced (not even flushed) there is a huge change in gear changes. It went from jerky to slow to buttery smooth changes, I guess heaps less strain on the engine.

Wow, my bill went up heaps.

$110 strainer.

$45 for oil

$15 gasket

$3 for o-ring.

$173 + labour for mechanic. Oh my god. :o :o :o :o :o :o

*faints*

How many litres does it take after a flush? The mechanic said it MIGHT need 6 litres but he was not 100% and will see after the flush to see what it requires exactly.

Anyone here know?

Oh yeah, I was reading on the internet about the filter and few people said after cleaning it out with petrol it came out like brand new?

How many litres does it take after a flush? The mechanic said it MIGHT need 6 litres but he was not 100% and will see after the flush to see what it requires exactly.

Anyone here know?

Due to the design of the transmission, if you wanted to flush it out in the way it sounds like they will do, you would have to consider using up a complete fill just for that purpose (2.8 litres). So this means you remove the oil pan drain plug and let it all drain out, then refill the pan with 2.8 litres of new fluid. Run this though the car for a little bit, then you can proceed to complete the rest of it (ie. draining the oil, dropping the pan, changing strainer, etc). Then you refill it again with some new fluid and you're set. This comes to about 5.6 litres, but having extra is always a good idea. So 6 litres sounds like a good number.

Oh yeah, I was reading on the internet about the filter and few people said after cleaning it out with petrol it came out like brand new?

I'm not providing any recommendations that steer away from what is the most ideal. I've suggested to change the strainer completely and that's the only advise I will recommend. If you really care about your car, you should always do the best for her.

Anyone here know?

Due to the design of the transmission, if you wanted to flush it out properly, you would have to consider using up a complete fill just for that purpose (2.8 litres). So this means you remove the oil pan drain plug and let it all drain out, then refill the pan with 2.8 litres of new fluid. Run this though the car for a little bit, then you can proceed to complete the rest of it (ie. draining the oil, dropping the pan, changing strainer, etc). Then you refill it again with some new fluid and you're set. This comes to about 5.6 litres, but having extra is always a good idea. So 6 litres sounds like a good number.

I'm not providing any recommendations that steer away from what it the most idea. I've suggested to change the strainer completely and that's the only advise I will recommend. If you really care about your car, you should always do the best for her.

You need to become a mechanic engineer or something. You have good knowledge of cars man :). I think that is what my mechanic meant by flush where he needs to let the car run for 10 minutes and that it might need 6 litres for a full flush.

My mechanic has like 10 litres in stock but I'm going to buy my own 5 litres from the dealer and I think the dealer has a open canister of fluid and he can use that for the flush and use unopened canisters for the re fill.

@Strainer. The only reason I'm trying to find a way around buying a new one is because my dad gets all hulk on my a$$ because he doesn't like me spending money on my car and wants me to save. AHHHH. I might as well live like a hermit and never spend money and just save.

But still, usually parents are always right in the end :blink:

I paid a visit to my mechanic today to get them to order in the strainer, but he still insisted not to waste my money, I asked but isn't the strainer a material type? And he said no its a mesh type. I was like oh? Luckily he had one he just took off a different car and showed me and it was like only 15cms wide and it was a mesh.

It is NOTHING like the picture you took? I'm confused?

the strainer looks like the one on the diagram..

Edited by unique

At the end of the day, it's your choice on what you want to do. As I said, it's not completely necessary... but as is going to the gym. I'm not going to keep discussing that issue anyways.

As for what it looks like, the photo I took is of the actual strainer used in this transmission. Why else would I have purchased it? So you can draw conclusions from there.

At the end of the day, it's your choice on what you want to do. I'm not going to keep discussing that issue.

As for what it looks like, the photo I took is of the actual strainer used in this transmission. Why else would I have purchased it? So you can draw conclusions from there.

I know that mate, lol... I'm saying that the strainer I was shown and the strainer you have shown me in the picture are completely different. Completely!!

The strainer was flat and the mesh was like this: http://teasource.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/Mesh%20Strainer_lg.jpg

What I was shown is completely different from what you are showing me. I called up the dealer to confirm and they said the strainer is like a mesh type.

What I was shown is completely different from what you are showing me. I called up the dealer to confirm and they said the strainer is like a mesh type.

Your call mate. In this case, one of us (mechanic/dealer/myself) are wrong. Would be interesting to see who is, considering mine was also purchased from a dealer who confirmed the part number for me in their system.

When I take the car in tommorow I'll see what it is.

Having doubts eh? I'm not usually a betting man, but I'd be willing to make a bet :lol:

Hmmm. % wise how sure are you it's the one you have :P. I'll make a bet :lol:

About 98% sure that the one I have here is the one you are looking for. But after all this discussion, I am now less sure....

..... 97.5% sure that the one I've shown in the photo is the proper one.

Over-confidence has bitten me on the a55 before though.

I bet $100 with this fine piece of virtual currency:

PhotoFunia-31d51e-1.jpg

^ Joke for the Brisbane guys.

Haha. I was more on the non money side but something like not bring allowed to wash the car for a month. Or is betting $109 less painful :lol: I'll show my mechanic your picture of the strainer as well and see what he says as an ex dealer mechanic.

I'll try to keep you updated with the iPhone.