Genuine 19" wheels/tyres not legal when fitted on KXR??

wilsact

Hi,

I was talking to a mate the other day and he was trying to tell me it is illegal to fit the original 19" rims and tyres from a KX-S or Grande, to a KXR.

He said the problem is not the rims, as that is legal, but the load ratings for the tyres.

I didn't believe him, and said this sounded ridiculous as it is exactly what Toyota do in the factory even with the KXR limited edition Altitude models.

He then went on to explain that if you look at the tyre placard fitted to a KXR it states that the tyres fitted must have a load rating of

not less then 107 or 975kg and a speed rating not less then S. This is apparently what decides if a tyre fitted is legal to Police, insurance, rta etc.

He stated that the load rating for the tyres fitted to the 19" rims is only 103 or 875kg S and hence does not comply with the KXR's placard.

I have confirmed the minimum 107 load rating on my KXR placard, but can someone who owns a grande or kxs confirm what their placard states please?

This just seems plain stupid on toyota's part (anyone who works for Toyota or a Tyre place care to comment/explain?).

I know many people have fitted the 19's to their KXR's, and I would hate for some cunning insurance company to pick this up if something goes wrong, and sneak out

of a claim!!!!

cheers

Edited by wilsact

Hi,

I have confirmed the minimum 107 load rating on my KXR placard, but can someone who owns a grande or kxs confirm what their placard states please?

This just seems plain stupid on toyota's part

Concur

KX-S placard (on driver side door frame indicates max load rating must not be less than 875kg or have a load rating not less than 103 and and speed rating of not less than S).

Hi,

This just seems plain stupid on toyota's part

Concur

KX-S placard (on driver side door frame indicates max load rating must not be less than 875kg or have a load rating not less than 103 and and speed rating of not less than S).

Well appears my mate was correct then.

Makes a mockery of the tyre placard on the KXR, when the Altitude/KXS/GRANDE are all running lower load rated tyres.

I wonder what Toyota's reasoning is for this. Is it purely to stop people fitting the higher spec wheels to their base model? If so pretty ordinary form. Won't

stop people fitting them, might just get them a fine or knock back on an insurance claim though. I had a work colleague who did insurance work, and they specifically looked

for little 'outs' like this. I wonder if any 19's in that size meet the KXR load rating. Would

be surprised considering what a difficult size it already is!

Edited by wilsact

I just had a look at my Altitude out of curiosity and its tyre placard does say 875kg & Load index 103 & Speed rating of S.

Just a litle thing for insurance companys to rely on when its time to cough up :angry:

Toyota should wake up to themselves as well :(

This sounds stupid what toyota have said.

I have just changed my own car to the holden adventra(please dont bar me, i still have the kluger) and when i asked vicroads what tyre size can i change the standard 17 inch to, they said as long as it does not petrude past the side of the vehicle, its legal...

This information completely different from what you guys are saying....When i called vicroads they also had no idea....

as you might be aware, the adventras has those plastic wheel arch extensions which means i probably can fit 22inch without a worry....according to vicroads...

This sounds stupid what toyota have said.

I have just changed my own car to the holden adventra(please dont bar me, i still have the kluger) and when i asked vicroads what tyre size can i change the standard 17 inch to, they said as long as it does not petrude past the side of the vehicle, its legal...

This information completely different from what you guys are saying....When i called vicroads they also had no idea....

as you might be aware, the adventras has those plastic wheel arch extensions which means i probably can fit 22inch without a worry....according to vicroads...

hey mate,

Have a read of first post. Drama is not the wheels or size, but the load rating for the tyres. If load rating on tyre placard is not complied with then not legal, and breaches insurance. This applies to the original 19 inch tyres if retro fitted to a kxr. Obviously if you fitted tyres that meet the load rating to the 19 inch rims then problem solved. That's if you can find tyres that meet this load rating in this already difficult size. Ridiculous I know.

Cheers

Edited by wilsact

That's if you can find tyres that meet this load rating in this already difficult size.

Cheers

Only 245/55R19 tyres available locally appear to be the Bridgestone D400 and the Toyo Open Country - both are rated 103S

Going to 255/55R19, the Yokohama Advan ST is rated 107Y, and the Pirelli Sorpion Zero and Goodyear WRANGLER HP AW are rated at 111V

Not that I am recommending this, but in my Subaru days, I bought a new tyre placard from a higher spec model and stuck it over the old placard on my car to get around this very problem. I would assume it's isn't legal to do this though

I think there's a difference between road legal and covered by insurance.

Obviously to be covered by insurance you'll first need to be road legal.

Road legal in my understanding would mean no tyre protruding from the side of the wheel arch when still and obviously a clear turning circle without the tyre hitting the arch.

Now to the topic of covered by insurance... I think this may differ between insurance companies.

I remember calling RACV a few years ago now and inquiring about changing my stock tyres on the Commodore. They informed me that as long as I kept the original rim size I was fine. In that case they were 15" rims. I was considering putting on slightly lower and slightly wider tyres and that was the response I got.

• 1 month later...