Replacement smart keys?

Takitoes

Hey all,

Firstly, im a long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the great reading :D

To the actual topic:

Is paying $680 to Toyota actually the only way to replace the Smart Key for the Landcruiser 200's?

I've been searching for info for a while, and i can see there are ways around for other cars, but no-one seems to have any advise re the 200 series.

Its just that we have 4 members of family now who reguarly drive the vechicle and only 3 keys. It would be nice to pay... say no more then $200 for the luxury of another key, $680 seems rediculas.

Any advise would be awesome :)

Thanks

i have had no luck with cheap "ebay" replacement keys on a couple of modern toyotas

The plain transponder key can be re-made for about $150

if you want one with remote open/close buttons, then the bare key is $350 or so, plus cutting + programming

i have had no luck with cheap "ebay" replacement keys on a couple of modern toyotas

if you want one with remote open/close buttons, then the bare key is $350 or so, plus cutting + programming

The OP is talking about smart keys here, not conventional keys.

OP, unfortunately Toyota charge like a wounded bull for smart keys, and there isn't much you can do about it. The smart fob itself is about $360, the mechanical key that slides into the fob is $220! :o That's retail list. Then the mechanical key needs to be cut by a locksmith, and lastly, an IT Tester is required to configure the immobiliser ECU to learn the new fob. So $680 sounds pretty close to full tilt. Ask if they can do a bit of a better price?

Its just that we have 4 members of family now who reguarly drive the vechicle and only 3 keys.

LC200 only come with 2 smart keys from the factory. Where did the 3rd one come from? Did you buy the vehicle 2nd hand with 3 fobs?

Edited by pinzvidz

The OP is talking about smart keys here, not conventional keys.

OP, unfortunately Toyota charge like a wounded bull for smart keys, and there isn't much you can do about it. The smart fob itself is about $360, the mechanical key that slides into the fob is $220! :o That's retail list. Then the mechanical key needs to be cut by a locksmith, and lastly, an IT Tester is required to configure the immobiliser ECU to learn the new fob. So $680 sounds pretty close to full tilt. Ask if they can do a bit of a better price?

Its just that we have 4 members of family now who reguarly drive the vechicle and only 3 keys.

LC200 only come with 2 smart keys from the factory. Where did the 3rd one come from? Did you buy the vehicle 2nd hand with 3 fobs?

Ouch, I was hoping you wouldn't say taht.

I bought the car new from a local Toyota dealer, came with 3 keys....at least i havn't bought any or anything like that haha.

Anyways, thanks for the help. Looks like i might just continue to put up with swapping keys all the time, $680 is ...excessive to say the least.