Front light switch swap

I have two switches for my front lights, one for the main lights (parkers, low beams) and another one for the foggies. Here is how they look and work:

kuva1fo.jpg

What I would like to do is to modify them so that I'd change the functions between switches. After that I would be able to control my foggies using main light switch which means they would also work exactly like my main lights at the moment.

Why I want to do so is that I'm going to install DRLs into my foggies and I want them to light up when I start the engine, and my low beams to stay off until I'll switch them manually on (when it gets dark). Here is how I want them to work:

kuva2y.jpg

I've been thinking that I could make it work by simply connecting the main light plug to foggies and foggy plug to front lights. I could do it by extending the cables in the engine bay. I could also just swap the wires at some earlier stage, for example near the fuse box. Even though I think it's theoretically possible, I don't know if it is in practice to make it work. I don't have any idea of how to locate the right cables if I will be doing the thing near the fuse box as there's so many different cables ones in there.

Any ideas?

Edited by Speed_Chaser

Hey, Just throw couple of idea's and opinions at you.

Ask this question at your local supercheap auto or autobahn etc, they'll have all equipment and tools for you to do this :)

(plus, they'll know proper way to do it)

From my understanding, you want to have your fog's on permanently, personally I wouldn't recommend this because you never know if you just might want them off while your car is stationary or your experiencing battery troubles.

The other thing is, is the switch between accessories and your car being actually on.

My suggestion would be to use one of the spare switches on your dash to make a complete separate switch from your headlights this way you can control when and what lights are on all the time! :)

Hope my opinions and idea's have helped!

i assume the parker/headlight switch powers the foglight relay. so find the foglight relay in the dash, disconnect the parker switch wire that goes to either pin 85 or 86 of the relay and replace to ACC power. so you can turn the foglights on separate to the headlights and only when the key is in acc to avoid a flat battery so just leave the fogswitch on as drls.

Guys, I believe you did not understand how my system works at the moment.

When the switch is in mode 1, all of my lights are off if my engine is off. My headlights turn on automatically when I start my car in this mode, so I don't have to touch the switch. I want the exact same thing to happen after the mod too, but the difference would be that my foggies would light up instead of headlights.

In mode 2 my headlights turn off and only my parkers are on. If my foggy switch is ON, my foglights do turn on as soon as I choose this mode. I want the exact the same thing to happen, but so that my foggies would turn off and I could activate my headlights if I wanted to.

In mode 3 my headlights are on, my interior lightning on, and my foggies are on (if the other switch is in ON). I want my foggies and interior lightning to be on in this mode, and the headlights aswell if I'll have the other switch in ON position.

Hope you get me now. I think it's a great idea as I will be able to save automatic light function, use my foggies only in mode 1, use my headlights in mode 2 with other switch in ON position and have them both on when I select mode 3. I could keep the other switch permanently in ON position 24/7 and all I'd have to do is use the other switch to control everything!

I suspect that my local car parts seller doesn't know how to do that :blink: I can always ask though...

sorry thats a little too complicated for me. if you use my method and leave the fogswitch to ON 24/7 you can achieve some of your aims.

headlight to mode 2- the fogs/drl turn on with engine and headlight remain off.

in mode 3- all lights are on

to have it so the fog/drls automatically turn off when headlights are on require a another relay circuit to turn off the fog relay?