Fuel Problems with a 1FZ-FE engine

I have a 1996 Landcruiser with a 1FZ-FE 4.5 litre DOHC enging, the problem that I am having is that it is severley heavy on fuel. I do alot of towing, nothing big, and am getting 23L/100Kms. OUCH I am going broke, it gets over serviced, full filter change every 5000kms. just put full new exhaust system on with extractors, due to a collapsed CAT converter, I have 2 hyclones in it, new plugs, leads, cleaned the airflow meter and throttle body. ???????

I am out of ideas please help.

The 1zf-fe engine is terrific, especially compared to the old 4.2. They're not bad on the highways but the moment you hit town though, it drinks! It comes down to it being a heavy vehicle, especially if you've got the auto. Your obviously changing filters and keeping it in good tune, the only other suggestion I can make is to switch to a K&N air filter, alot of 4wd's get good results switching to one of these. Together with the extractors this should give you an improvement Rusty.

Edited by IZZ-FE

The 1zf-fe engine is terrific, especially compared to the old 4.2.  They're not bad on the highways but the moment you hit town though, it drinks!  It comes down to it being a heavy vehicle, especially if you've got the auto.  Your obviously changing filters and keeping it in good tune, the only other suggestion I can make is to switch to a K&N air filter, alot of 4wd's get good results switching to one of these.  Together with the extractors this should give you an improvement Rusty.

the K&N filter is about all I havent done. I did a lot of research on google over the weekend and i keep coming up with the same outcome, and that is that they are heavy on fuel and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Thanks heaps anyway.

Weight kills fuel consumption, simple as that.

23 litres/100km is probably normal. My V6 Camry (1MZ-FE 3litre) gets around 15/100 in the city and around 9/100 on the Highway.

Buy a RAV 4 :D :D :D if you want economy.

Cheers

T.

• 10 months later...

Weight kills fuel consumption, simple as that.

23 litres/100km is probably normal. My V6 Camry (1MZ-FE 3litre) gets around 15/100 in the city and around 9/100 on the Highway.

Buy a RAV 4 :D :D :D if you want economy.

Cheers

T.

My avalon 2002 model gets 11.5 city and 9.0 country indicated on trip computer but when checked by full tank to full tank 10 city and as low as 7.9 country ( within 10% of speed limit)

regards John