which 215/50/17 TYRE??

kiwi240s

we will be needing some new tyres for our family car (avensis verso) in 215/50/17 size.

does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy. I want a LONG LASTING touring tyre that will mainly be bashed around town so a good QUIET long wearing tyre is needed that has a bit of extra meat on the outer blocks, unlike many tyres now that seem to have half the tread depth on the edges as on the middle of the tyre......

any suggestions

If you want excellent grip with medium to low noise, want to spend a bit extra, you cant go past the Yokohama S-Drives. Normal range is around the 50,000km mark. Outstanding for such a performance tyre. Or the A-Drive, little cheaper, little quieter, still very good.

we will be needing some new tyres for our family car (avensis verso) in 215/50/17 size.

does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy. I want a LONG LASTING touring tyre that will mainly be bashed around town so a good QUIET long wearing tyre is needed that has a bit of extra meat on the outer blocks, unlike many tyres now that seem to have half the tread depth on the edges as on the middle of the tyre......

any suggestions

Have a look at the new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 if money isn't an issue.

Another issue you have is you want a long lasting and quiet tyre. These 2 do not go together well. Hard compound tyres last a long time but are loud and soft coumpound tyres are quiet but don't last that long.

Another option is looking at Yokohama C.Drive

If you want excellent grip with medium to low noise, want to spend a bit extra, you cant go past the Yokohama S-Drives. Normal range is around the 50,000km mark. Outstanding for such a performance tyre. Or the A-Drive, little cheaper, little quieter, still very good.

You can't get A or S drive in 215/50R17. You can however get C.Drive.

Edited by Hamster

These are fairly new to the market, but I have heard good thing about Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

I also heard those were good. The only problem is that you can't get them in Australia.

i will NEVER EVER EVER buy yokohama tyres again.

i had a set of C Drives on our Ford Mondeo in 205/55/16 and they lasted less than 25,000 kays. They were sold to me as a long lasting touring tyre...HA! what a joke! i bet if i had bought TOYO T1-R's they would have lasted longer, been cheaper and had better grip.....

so thats the yoko's out.

i don't want to spend a lot, as i simply don't trust tyres anymore...i will be very angry if i spend $260 a tyre and get less than 30K again.

i had a set of C Drives on our Ford Mondeo in 205/55/16 and they lasted less than 25,000 kays. They were sold to me as a long lasting touring tyre...HA! what a joke! i bet if i had bought TOYO T1-R's they would have lasted longer, been cheaper and had better grip.....

Because your one bad experience over-rides plenty of other people's good experiences...

My S. Drives have lasted close to 30,000km before their first rotation, and going on the wear that the rears (now on the front) have received they should be good for another 10,000km. Your driving habits will influence the wear of the tyre significantly, and even then there will always be lemons no matter what the brand.

so thats the yoko's out.

i don't want to spend a lot, as i simply don't trust tyres anymore...i will be very angry if i spend $260 a tyre and get less than 30K again.

the C drive are soft compound tyres so they were NEVER meant to be meant for long lasting tyres.

they were advertised as a long lasting touring tyre and even the yoko website says just as much..LIERS.

Anyway. Can anyone recommed a suitable tyre...may even look at going to a 215/55 also.

Yoko don't advertise it as a long-lasting touring tyre, they advertise it as:

Yokohama C.drive (AC01) For An Extra Margin Of Safety.

The Yokohama C.drive has earned a reputation as the "must have" tyre for safety on wet roads. The C.drive's handling capability gives extra vehicle stability in emergency-swerve situations. Tyre industry experts tested the C.drive in three "real world" scenarios in over 280 test drives. The overwhelming conclusion was that the C.drive provides an extra margin o safety for the average motorist. Aside from safety, the C.drive is a sensible upgrade for your standard vehicle as the tyre is designed for sportier performance, a comfortable ride and low cabin noise.

i'm not going to get into an arguement on the yoko's. at the time(3 years ago) all the info i found on them stated it had long wear characteristics...this was the sole reason i bought them over others...

anyway i want a long wearing tyre for my new car in the size above...anyone used the Hankooks?