brake and stopping power upgrade

hey guys. i have a question with our current rolla. what will you guys do to upgrade the brake system? i have changed the EBC greenStuff brake pads. i feels just have a little better feeling :huh: when i stop the car. be frank, it is better than standard but it didn't meet my expectation :unsure: . anyone give me the comment? if you can tell me the parts that i can use and get in Aus, it would be the best.

thanks

TRD

when i get new pads i'll probably try bendix ultimates, old car had bendix advance and i was pleased with them. i've heard nothing but good about ultimates

Have you thought of upgrading your rotors and brake hose ??? :) :huh:

Edited by Cooley

when i get new pads i'll probably try bendix ultimates, old car had bendix advance and i was pleased with them. i've heard nothing but good about ultimates

i chated the guy from DBA and he told me that it would be no difference between performance rotor and standard rotor except you can make your cap swallow the big rotors. also, chaning brake hose with Steel (aftermarket one) would be the same as standard (i tried it). that's why i want to ask you guys what i can do in this situation. is any parts would be avaiable for me to upgrade the brake system.

cheers

TRD

i chated the guy from DBA and he told me that it would be no difference between performance rotor and standard rotor except you can make your cap swallow the big rotors. also, chaning brake hose with Steel (aftermarket one) would be the same as standard (i tried it). that's why i want to ask you guys what i can do in this situation. is any parts would be avaiable for me to upgrade the brake system.

cheers

TRD

how did u "try" it.

i find that the biggest weakness in the sportivo braking is the fluids and the rotors. the rotors warp very easy for some reason. the fluids boil very easily, too. the stock pads can take a REAL hammering.

cheers

TRD

how did u "try" it.

i find that the biggest weakness in the sportivo braking is the fluids and the rotors. the rotors warp very easy for some reason. the fluids boil very easily, too. the stock pads can take a REAL hammering.

i have installed a steel hose and i felt that it is as same as standard but it cost me 100 plus installation. also, what brake fuild and rotor do you recommend or do you have any advices?

Cheer

TRD

cheers

TRD

how did u "try" it.

i have installed a steel hose and i felt that it is as same as standard but it cost me 100 plus installation. also, what brake fuild and rotor do you recommend or do you have any advices?

Cheer

TRD

do u know wat the steel braided hose dose?

I can certainly attest to this... my '05 'Stivo has a warped rotor after just the first 2000km! Less that one month DAMMIT!

Anyway, what's worse is I'm very frugal with braking, I'll look back at my old service manual if anyone's interested, but the pads on my Lancer lasted almost twice the expected mileage. (Lots of long trips, no peak-hours and heaps of engine braking)

hey guys. i have a question with our current rolla. what will you guys do to upgrade the brake system? i have changed the EBC greenStuff brake pads. i feels just have a little better feeling  :huh: when i stop the car. be frank, it is better than standard but it didn't meet my expectation  :unsure: . anyone give me the comment? if you can tell me the parts that i can use and get in Aus, it would be the best.

thanks

TRD

The only real way of getting significantly better braking is to increase the braking surface area. This means increasing the size of the caliper and rotor.

You can get a lot more agressive pad which will give you better bite but will chew through your rotors in no time.

You can go for small modifications like get good 2 piece rotors with better heat dissapation. Grooved rotors for better outgassing and high quality brake fluid and braded lines for better feel, but all of these are only minor increases over standard. They can however give you better fade resistance.

To get a lot better braking, you have to spend a lot more $$$$

My next upgrade.... 6 pot AP racing calipers left over from my old track car...

Should be nuts!

Yeah baby ! Yeah !

Bigger Rotors + Multipiston calipers is the ******* = Big $$$$$.

Lots of places sell them in the U.S. but their Rollas have 5 stud hubs not 4.

Yeah baby ! Yeah !

if i want to get it, where and what brand are they in Australia? also, what do you mean by multipistion calipers and how much is it? is multipistion calipers can fit all of car? :unsure:

cheers

TRD :ph34r:

Yeah baby ! Yeah !

the rotors are 330mm and 2 piece. I have to get a custom hat, bracket and spacer made up to fit the Stivo. I also had to get 17" rims for them to fit under.. will look nuts when they are on.

I am alos looking to see if i can swap the fronts to the rears....

Shold stop on a dime!

Yeah baby ! Yeah !

the rotors are 330mm and 2 piece. I have to get a custom hat, bracket and spacer made up to fit the Stivo. I also had to get 17" rims for them to fit under.. will look nuts when they are on.

Shold stop on a dime!

where can i get it in Australia? also, would our sport rolla brake kit would be fit on standard rolla? because i have a friend may want to buy the standard rolla (modified with turbo), if we can buy 2 sets, i think it wuold be cheaper.

cheers

Yeah baby ! Yeah !

Shold stop on a dime!

where can i get it in Australia? also, would our sport rolla brake kit would be fit on standard rolla? because i have a friend may want to buy the standard rolla (modified with turbo), if we can buy 2 sets, i think it wuold be cheaper.

cheers

If you are in Melbourne, Race brakes in north Mlebourne is the only place to go for brakes. They are by far the best and most experienced in perfromance brakes.

They have been doing race cars for many years and great to deal with. Howard knows his stuff.

6 pot brakes and rotors will set you back 5-6 grand though... it's not cheap!

Yeah baby ! Yeah !

Shold stop on a dime!

cheers

If you are in Melbourne, Race brakes in north Mlebourne is the only place to go for brakes. They are by far the best and most experienced in perfromance brakes.

They have been doing race cars for many years and great to deal with. Howard knows his stuff.

6 pot brakes and rotors will set you back 5-6 grand though... it's not cheap!

what about in Sydney and Perth? anyone can help?

TRD

how did u "try" it.

I wonder if that is a Toyota forte, long brake pad life ... I replaced the front pads on my Starlet at 100,000km, because I didn't believe they would last too much longer ... at that point they were only half worn! So you can believe what some mechanics tell you, anyway! :P

Peeps,

Braided brake lines are over kill on a road car..... in a road car in road conditions you rarely get the fluids that "hot" the the brake lines expand under presuure which gives you that doughy pedal feel otherwise refered to as Brake Fade.

The best i could recommend (only cause it works for me) is to get better brake fluids coupled with a good set of pads ie ferodo DS2500, or EBC GreenStuff

This is a simple and cost effective way on increasing brake performance...

Castrol Super Response Dot 4+ is less than $10

Motul RBF 600 Dot 4 is also another really good fluid... (my new fav)

If you track your car often i would suggest a full flush after each day to keep your stoppers working effectivly.

Keep in mind that ive gone a full 25 min session at wakefield in a 206 Gti 180 (with standard brakes) and never once did my brake pedal soften up or fail to pull the car up time and time again :lol:

Also running at Oran park down the front straight i was nearing 190kph before getting on the brakes Nice and hard lap after lap with no real noticable fade...

Euro cars are notorious for chewing rotors just as quick as pads so this may not apply to the Stivos... :huh: this provides marginally better stoping performance but will wear rotors, pads quicker

When your rotors are shot try going a DBA or EBC rotors with similar pad noted above as i suspect that there a little softer than the std rotors in the Rollas which "should" provide better pefformance

Also if you can get the parts its easy to install yourself (only if you know what your doing i guess :D ) this will save you on labour

Edited by QD180

The Gti180 is also a cooool 100kg lighter :D

Peeps,

Braided brake lines are over kill on a road car..... in a road car in road conditions you rarely get the fluids that "hot" the the brake lines expand under presuure which gives you that doughy pedal feel otherwise refered to as Brake Fade.

The best i could recommend (only cause it works for me) is to get better brake fluids coupled with a good set of pads ie ferodo DS2500, or EBC GreenStuff

If you track your car often i would suggest a full flush after each day to keep your stoppers working effectivly.

Keep in mind that ive gone a full 25 min session at wakefield in a 206 Gti 180 (with standard brakes) and never once did my brake pedal soften up or fail to pull the car up time and time again :lol:

Also running at Oran park down the front straight i was nearing 190kph before getting on the brakes Nice and hard lap after lap with no real noticable fade...

Euro cars are notorious for chewing rotors just as quick as pads so this may not apply to the Stivos... :huh: this provides marginally better stoping performance but will wear rotors, pads quicker

When your rotors are shot try going a DBA or EBC rotors with similar pad noted above as i suspect that there a little softer than the std rotors in the Rollas which "should" provide better pefformance

Also if you can get the parts its easy to install yourself (only if you know what your doing i guess :D ) this will save you on labour

The Gti180 is also a cooool 100kg lighter :D
Peeps,

take your rear boot trim and the rear seats out. they weigh close to 100kg. and NO turn-in understeer ;)