Hilux 1995 Fuel Economy

hey all,

ive got a 1995 hilux 2.4 petrol 2wd and cant help to wonder about the fuel economy, right now i get 350kms out of a 50 litre tank, which to me seems abit to low, and it seems like it needs abit more power especially accelerating, and as we speak its getting a new carburettor installed as the old one decided to crap itself in the right line of a highway. So was wondering if a new carby would increase power and make it beter on fuel?

And is 350 ks average for that hilux?, tyres are brand new and always on right pressure and i carry a few tools on the back but it doesant add to much considering its about the same with no tools

Also iam thinking it might be the idle speed as it is abit rough and at a high rpm especially on a cold start, anyway to adjust that?

car has 170,000 clicks

thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Do you run diesel or petrol?

My father drives a diesel 96 model non turbo and gets about 11 litres per 100 kms and I drive a petrol 84 4 runner and get about 13.

If your idling a bit rough its probably your timing/fouled plugs or an issue with your injectors. Could also be your alternator not charging enough and voltage jumping. If you have a volt meter test your alternator and then clean up your plugs. If this doesnt help check your timing. (also check your exhaust for any holes/leaky gaskets - this will make a HUGE difference.

A lot of economy issues often come down to your driving. Not using the gears to slow down, selecting either a too high or too low gear, braking heavily and accelerating quickly will also use a lot more fuel. I assume the 350 kms is city driving? Once you have cleaned up/changed anything that needs to be changed take it for a 2-3 hour drive along a highway. Cars are like horses; they need a good run every now and then or the build up carbon and slowly choke. The long drive will get any carbon out of the exhaust system and will allow the engine to hum nicely.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Do you run diesel or petrol?

My father drives a diesel 96 model non turbo and gets about 11 litres per 100 kms and I drive a petrol 84 4 runner and get about 13.

If your idling a bit rough its probably your timing/fouled plugs or an issue with your injectors. Could also be your alternator not charging enough and voltage jumping. If you have a volt meter test your alternator and then clean up your plugs. If this doesnt help check your timing. (also check your exhaust for any holes/leaky gaskets - this will make a HUGE difference.

A lot of economy issues often come down to your driving. Not using the gears to slow down, selecting either a too high or too low gear, braking heavily and accelerating quickly will also use a lot more fuel. I assume the 350 kms is city driving? Once you have cleaned up/changed anything that needs to be changed take it for a 2-3 hour drive along a highway. Cars are like horses; they need a good run every now and then or the build up carbon and slowly choke. The long drive will get any carbon out of the exhaust system and will allow the engine to hum nicely.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

You should go back and reread the original post

Do you run diesel or petrol Diesels Dont use a carby

I drive a petrol 84 4 runner and get about 13 What size is your engine your 50ltrs is getting you 384 ks so is comparable to the original post but your probabaly running a 3Y or 4Y engine which is only 2ltr or 2.2 not 2.4

an issue with your injectors once again CARBY no injectors to have trouble with

Could also be your alternator not charging enough and voltage jumping. If you have a volt meter test your alternator and then clean up your plugs. If this doesnt help check your timing. (also check your exhaust for any holes/leaky gaskets - this will make a HUGE difference. This is good advice

Dont forget the 2.4 is prone to head gasket trouble Check for steam out of exhauast or water in oil.

Cars are like horses; they need a good run every now and then or the build up carbon and slowly choke. The long drive will get any carbon out of the exhaust system and will allow the engine to hum nicely.

When was the last time you rode a horse that was choking on carbon???????

How about going to a good mechanic and having the engine decoked

Good luck Ruskki

Please look for other advice.