Brighter front headlights

pouza

Hi, my 1989 super customs' front headlights are fading and dull and is pretty dangerous at night, are there after-market ones available that are brighter? If not what else can I do? The van is the 4 headlight model, cheers

Hi, my 1989 super customs' front headlights are fading and dull and is pretty dangerous at night, are there after-market ones available that are brighter? If not what else can I do? The van is the 4 headlight model, cheers

Are they sealed beam lights or something? Can't you just change the bulb?

If they are sealed beam then your choices are limited as you cant replace the globes.

When you say "fading" , do you mean they are not as bright?

How old is your Battery ?

If its 5 years old and not newer then go and get a free Battery check done at Bobjane or some other place where they offer this for free.

It could be something as simple as a battery on its way out .

I havent heard of Headlights going less brighter because they are older so i suspect its not the lights.I know the Head light LENS get older and less light goes through them.

If they are not sealed beams you can always upgrade the globes , Phillips have Extreme globes that apparently have or can produce 80% more light when comparred to Stock/Standard lights.

If all fails, there are always HID kits which is a step above the rest ..spiteful.gif

Every other Headlight appears dull to me when i leave my car HIDs and drive someone elses car which doesnt have Hid lights.They really make a difference however there is a compromise in distance the light travels .

Thanks for the reply guys,

The lights are sealed and are for high beam.I`ve recently replaced the battery but lights are still dull. I don`t understand what HID lights are? If I they are better than the originals I``ll get them. Do they have hi and low beam? The lights are just dull and not as bright as others around. A bit of a pain.I`ve sourced some other original ones just to see if they are brighter but to no real change. Thanks for the help.

I reckon you'll have to find some higher power sealed beams to fit the same hole on the bodywork. Might pay to see what the wattage of the standard setup is (ie 55/60) and see what you can turn up at maybe 60/75 or similar. if you can find some shells with replaceable bulbs which will fit your bodywork, you'll have more options. I don't know enough about HIDs to give you advice but I think they might be a bulb change thing, I'm probably wrong, I've never looked into them. Hope that helps.

G'day there. HID's not really an option for your beasty. However you can get aftermarket lights that will take the halogen globes which are considerably brighter than what you have. Just remember not to go overboard on the globes you put in as too high a wattage will destroy the headlight assembly and possibly your wiring.

Edited by SirNed

• 4 weeks later...

i would recommend throwing the sealed beams out and replacing them with semi seal beam head lights which allows you to have standard h4 globes in it you can find them anywhere on the net. then go for the HID kit in it.. there will be no problems in seeing anymore once you do that