replacing a clutch in a 2000 Hiace

Merlin

Hi guys,

I'm new here [even though I joined a while back, I've only just got my van registered again]

I need to replace the clutch in my Hiace.

It's a 2000, RZH103R with a 2RZE [2.4L petrol injected, 5 speed]

I used to work on my own cars way back in the old days but haven't done anything for years. I'm looking at doing it myself because I've been quoted $650.00 to get it done, that seems a bit high to me - 3 hours labour and a couple of hundred for the kit.

Am I wrong?

Can anyone point me to any places to get a manual or step by step instructions, or any other tips or hints?

Any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of room under those hiaces. Just pull the gearbox and replace the clutch plate. Everything you pull off make sure you put it back on. Seperate any removed parts and bolts into small sections(eg bellhousing, gearbox, tailshaft) Makes it easier to remember where that last remaining bolt went. Lining up your new clutch plate properly is the key to getting your gearbox back in easily. Some vehicles have room to allow you to leave the pressure plate loose while you slide the input shaft into the clutch plate and then tighten the pressure plate bolts. There shouldn't really be anything too tricky in there that would require much reading.

Hiace boxes have gotta be the easiest ones out there but there is always some steps to go about when replacing any clutch...

First things first, loosen the gearbox filler plug and then loosen the drain plug and drain the oil... Always loosen the filler plug first with any diff, gearbox or transfer... If you drain the oil out first and cannot undo the filler you'll be stuffed...

Before removing the tail shaft you should always mark the rear uni to the diff so that you put it back in the same position... Failure to do this can result in a harsh vibration as the tail shaft is improperley balanced...

Disconnect the battery and remove the starter motor, slave cylinder, exhaust bracket (good idea to spray with WD40 or similar as the bolts will be rusty and easy to snap) and then also disconnect your shifter cables... Make sure you remember which ones were which, mark if necessary...

While supporting the gearbox from underneath, remove the rearer mount and crossbar... Remove the lower bellhousing bolts, then lower the gearbox to gain access to the upper bellhousing bolts and remove those also... Remember the wiring bracket at the top as you will need to refit when refitting the gearbox...

Then it's time to remove the gearbox so lower it down as much as it will go, then pull it backwards off the splines and remove it...

Remove the old pressure plate, clutch plate, release bearing, spigot bearing and discard... Remove the flywheel and get it machined flat...

Reinstall the flywheel, using locktite on the bolts and torque in a star pattern...

Install all your new parts, grease the input shaft and release fork... Line up the clutch plate in the centre and torque all bolts in a star pattern...

Refit all previously removed parts in reverse order...

Fill up gearbox oil and you're done...

(If I've forgotten anything I'm half asleep so it's not my fault lol)