Auto tilt side mirrors on reverse mod?

lulchul

By 'mirror up/ mirror down do you mean the tilt of the mirror? If your mirror has the motor for reverse tilting, you could try with the car in reverse with the key all the way to 'IGN' just before start, Get a test light and unplug the mirror, press the mirror up button and hold it if you have to and try the test light on all the points of the plug from the car (not the mirror) and see which one has power and lights the test light, do the same for mirror down and try all the points of the plug and see which one is getting power, to double check, get someone to press the switch for down or up with the test light in the postion and see when the switch is released if the test light goes out. This will confirm the wires coming out of the back of the plug where you inserted the test light in the front. Of course your mirror needs to have the tilt motor already in it but if it is not a normal or factory feature on your car then they mirror will not have the motor in it for tilting and I doubt toyota would put a reverse tilting mirror on a car without that function, they would have one for that model that does not tilt, cost cutting. You may have to change the mirrors to ones with the tilt motor in them. I am not sure, I had to buy non-genuine aftermarket fold back mirrors for my Aurion, the whole mirror assembly, but still the wiring I am still trying to work out as they are for Camry/Solora in USA or Malaysia, the site I bought them off said they where San Diego CA. but when the mirrors arrived they were sent from Malaysia, the USA is left hand drive, parts of Asia are right hand drive and the Aurion is badged as a Camry these countries. The instructions for installation I got with the mirrors are very vague and for Left hand drive, should not make a difference but still to make sure I don't blow something up or burn something out I have to be carefull of which wire goes where. Putting accessories that are not factory available in a car can be scary but that is something that customising is all about, venturing the unknown or non-genuine to individualise our cars, but it's worth it. Gather as much info as you can, I am still learning, this post has a better supplier for the fold back mirrors, if I could do it again I would buy them from place the vid is from but too late now, I just have to work with what I have already bought. It can be fun, and sometimes expensive. If I need an auto electrician for the mirrors I have it could end up being and expensive mod.

Edited by SATORI893

^^ I completely forgot about the Test light tool. I will use that to work out which wires on the Power mirror switch is for tilting the mirror up and down.

The car doesnt have reverse tilting but you can purchase a module (posted aboved by U54MOT) that allows the mirror to tilt when put in reverse.

• 4 months later...

Speaking of folding mirrors, I got a pair from that link on here somewhere, they have wiring for mirror heaters to clear fog from the glass. I looked at 2010 Aurion features in Redbook and can't find any models that have side mirror heaters, I looked through my owners manual in the fuse box section and there is a fuse for the mirrors in the one behind the glovebox, I had a look at mine and it has a 10 amp fuse already in there, listed as MIR HTR (mirror heater) yet when I turn on the rear demister the mirrors do not get hot and after having a look behind the mirror there are no wires, could it just be part of the harness? they usually don't put fuses in if the feature is not on the car, when I get round to installing the mirrors I will play around with the plug and see if there is power to the mirror's plug when the demister is switched on as the manual says the mirror heaters work when you turn on the demister. Does anyone have mirror heaters in their Aurions and if so what model do you have or is it a Camry feature?

Cheers.

Sorry, I HAVE to put my 2 bits worth here. If anyone is contemplating throwing money at modding their side mirrors for Auto Tilt in the belief that it will help accurate wheel placement next to the kerb, you are badly mistaken.

Case in point is my Presara. Sure it's got mirrors that tilt downwards when I put it in reverse, and sure it has a reversing camera and sensors. When the mirrors are tilted down, I still can't see my wheels because the body is too wide. Even if I crane my neck, I still can't see my wheels. Needless to say, there is some kerb rash now on the wheels (luckily they're the standard factory alloys, not nice, expensive after market rims).

Reversing camera? That works pretty well for backing up to something, but your view is pretty restricted in that you can't really see the left and right edges of your rear bumper, and when you combine this with the fish eye lens used in the camera, it's NOT a good way to judge kerbs.

The ONE thing which I think that would potentially be useful is a auto folding function. It minimises the chance of people clipping your mirrors when they walk between your car and the car next to you. Don't ask me why, but some people are pretty retarded when they walk, or they're too freakin fat that they can't fit in a 2 metre gap between cars!

IMHO, spending money on auto tilting/auto folding mirrors is money wasted if you want to see where the kerb is positioned relative to your wheels. You're better off investing in a 4 CCTV set up, with a camera looking directly over each wheel.

Cheers,

BB

• 3 weeks later...

As for the auto-folding module, you can get them on eBay, a Singapore seller has an Easycar (claims it ZMC) brand one for under $40 delivered and their is one from the UK, they work on folding the mirror in when you lock the door, they get the signal from the power lock motor positive, they then unfold on ACC or IGN depending on how you wire them. As I have said before I bought the ones from that link that is on this thread, just buy the mirrors as their module is rubbish and you have to harass them for a wiring diagram, they want $48 for it. I installed mine on Monday, they only worked a couple of times and now the module is not sending power to the folding motor, the backs of the mirrors I got painted to match the car you have to be careful puttling them on as the clips snap easily, the mirrors seem ok quality except for the clips, they are pretty easy to wire up with the glass adjustment etc, if you can find it in your car like I am trying (if anyone can help me would be great), they have mirror heaters in the glass for fog, they are a good fit. They are ment for left hand drive so the right hand mirror has to be adjusted all the way out to be useful and the passenger side one has a vertical black line that acts as an addition blind spot as the mirror kinks out from that line. I am still wanting for them to get back to me with a diagram, the one they sent me does't open properly and only the text shows up which I followed to wire it, they are not from Berkley CA in the US as they state, they are based in Taiwan so expect communication problems and long periods before replies unless you keep hassling them, personally I am going to get another module, their's is plastic, cheap and nasty looking.