Couldnt start my echo 2day , isnt becoz i left my demister on?

Man

HI all:

i couldnt start up my car this morning (2001 3dr hatch), a very cold morning but never had any

problems starting up the car over a year even around the same temperature, and i found my demisters

left on overnight, but my friends told me demisters will turn off when the car is off and they are

like Holden drivers, i wanna know if Toyota wired the car differently?

or anyone had the same experience before?

becoz i will be worry if its not the demister's problem.

thanks.

The demister only works when the ignition is turned on so thats not the problem...

What happened when you tried to start the car??? Did it crank over and over without starting??? Did it not crank at all???

yea crank over and over and gone.

and i been to midas this afternoon they said there is nothing wrong with battery, i m confuse now.

Check the connections to your battery and earths, starter motor, etc...

Check for any Diagnostic Codes and I would also get someone else to recheck your battery...

Possibly take it to Toyota and get it all checked out...

Have you had the same problem again??? If not, maybe just wait and see how it goes :)

Healthy crank but no start will be either an ignition or fuel problem. If you get a can of engine starting fluid and spray it into the air intake plenum, you can diagnose between the two - if the car starts then dies again, the problem is likely to be fuel. If it still doesn't start, it's likely to be ignition.

Ignition:

Broken connection - check battery terminals, grounding cables, spark plug leads. Make sure all accessories are off.

Low battery charge (old battery / poorly charging alternator / slipping alternator belt). Try hooking up some jumper cables if you have some.

Totally malfunctioned ignition coil - check with a multimeter

Massive air or vacuum leak / plugged ports - make sure all of the air hoses are connected and not broken.

Malfunctioning MAP/MAF sensor, crankshaft position sensor - check with a multimeter or, better yet, OBDII scanner

Security system on the fritz? Try disabling it

Igniter - check with a multimeter

Distributor (unlikely, and hopefully not)

Ignition timing off (unlikely in your case)

Fuel (I've never checked these before):

Fuel pump

Relay

Pressure regulator

Broken connection

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all:

thanks for all your reply ~

it happens again this saturday, and called NRMA and they found the battery were empty, need to be replaced, bloody saturday afternoon, only 1 place still open, and charged me $165 AUD for it, i think it was a rip off.

but as soon as i replaced it, i could really feel the different before and after.

all good all good.

close to 76, 000 kms service, someone told me spark plugs will need to replace, dunno, i think i spent a bit too much on the car already!

Good to hear you're running smoothly again.

Yes, $165 for the battery was a rip-off. I've bought a battery for an Echo before and it was about $110 from K-mart, though I did put it in myself.

The spark plugs are very easy and cheap to replace. They are about $2.50 each (about $10 total) plus labour (they will probably charge half an hour, about $40, even though it only takes 10 minutes). Or it's very easy to do yourself if you buy a spark plug socket (About $7 - just make sure you get the right size).

Edited by Keisari