100,000 KM Service

Your alternator is going. You can either have it reconditioned by an auto-electrician or have it replaced with a new unit by a mechanic, either option is good but the reco will be cheaper. As far as servicing the vehicle at 100,000km goes if you don't need Toyota to do it don't im sure a reputable workshop can carry out the same job for a much better price and leave you with more money and more satisfaction.

Cheers

*sigh* ... Toyota quoted me $805 for a new "alternator, parts and labour". Is that about right ... and does anyone know other places to get Toyota alternators, new or reconditioned?

If ur car turns over when u start its not the battery.

If ur car doesnt turn over (ie doesnt make any noise what so ever) its the battery. U can also turn on the lights when the car isnt on and see if they either fade out or dont turn on at all.

If at night and u got ur lights on and engine running and then the lights go brighter when u give a bit of throttle, ur alternators gone

Im on my iphone so i cant check whether u amswered these questions yet:

1) how old is your battery. Batteries usually last 3 to 4 years. There is a marker when ur battery was fitted in the battery

2)flickering lights occurs randomly?

3)loosing any power on aceleration?

If your alternator requires replacement, just get it reconditioned by any auto electrican place. It will but as good as buying a new one and it will save u a lot of coin

For second issue

Either the battery or the power alternator

I have my old volkswagehn where it does not start up, because of alternator failutre wheres the battery has enough power

If ur car doesnt turn over (ie doesnt make any noise what so ever) its the battery. U can also turn on the lights when the car isnt on and see if they either fade out or dont turn on at all.

If at night and u got ur lights on and engine running and then the lights go brighter when u give a bit of throttle, ur alternators gone

Im on my iphone so i cant check whether u amswered these questions yet:

1) how old is your battery. Batteries usually last 3 to 4 years. There is a marker when ur battery was fitted in the battery

2)flickering lights occurs randomly?

3)loosing any power on aceleration?

If your alternator requires replacement, just get it reconditioned by any auto electrican place. It will but as good as buying a new one and it will save u a lot of coin

When I turn the ignition on, it'll make a noise and lose 'charge', then upon the next turn of the ignition, it'll make a noise and lose more charge, until all you can hear is the clicking sounds ...

It's become more frequent in the last few weeks that I've had to get a jump start or charge my battery [with my step-dad's battery charging thing] before I can get my car to run.

Initially, it would 'die' on me within a week ... now it's within every 2nd day ... to now, practically almost every morning.

I was going to buy a battery today and get my cousin to fit it in ... but last night, while driving home I noticed the lights flicker [this has happened twice since I bought the car 2 years ago]. I haven't noticed my headlights getting brighter (yet?).

I have, however, noticed some loss of power when driving. The first time I noticed this was months ago, but I didn't think it would be the alternator.

I would have thought that the last time I had my car serviced, that they would have done some tests to make sure the whole engine was working fine etc [i had a major service the last time I brought it into the garage].

The last time I thought my car was losing power was when I was driving on the freeway, when it felt like it was a bit of an effort for my car to get from 60km p/h onward ... but I wasn't quite sure if I was noticing correctly as I had the music up.

As for whether the flickering lights happen randomly ... it does actually happen randomly. It doesn't necessarily happen during revving or slowing down or whatever ... and it hasn't happened often enough for me to think much of it.

Also, by flickering I mean that my lights go out and back on for a split second.

So if I do end up bringing it to a Toyota service center, they'll be able to recondition the alternator?

*this is why I need a man ...... among other things*

Edited by deevine_23

take the car to a non toyota workshop , if you take it to toyota for the alternator they will fit a brand new genuine one costing you alot of cash, a second hand one from the wreckers is also another solution

before u go and buy anything here is a simple piece of advise ....... head into a battery world and simply explain to them that ur not sure if ur alternator or battery or both are dead & that u want to be sure about what ur issue is before u buy anything & ask them if they can come out and have a look ..... i have found these guys to be very helpful and he should come out and take a look and hook a multimeter up to it and let u know what the situation is ...... it could simply be the battery BUT if the alternator is gone it sounds like at this stage it might have taken the battery with it ........ if u have NRMA roadside assistance they would do the above for u for free as part of the membership & tend to sell batteries at a reasonable price.

again if u could answer the q's kenshin that would also help us to help u

again if u could answer the q's kenshin that would also help us to help u

Oh sorry, I thought I had answered kenshin's questions...

* the interior lights don't fade and they all work ... BUT I do remember the lights on the dashboard have faded once in the past ... but not recently.

* "1) how old is your battery. Batteries usually last 3 to 4 years. There is a marker when ur battery was fitted in the battery"

270306A is the only number I found on the battery.

Will have a look for the closest battery world near me.

Just my 2 cents.

A 100,000km service should include a Timing Belt change unless your car is running a Timing chain. (A little bit of research will let you know.)

Just got the Timing Belt done on my little rolla and it set me back $350 or so at Armour Automotive in Kingswood (Just out of penrith).

courtesy of guni and evltwn, we all concluded it maybe the starter motor...

this is because of your previous post stating its clicking sounds, but yes as xoom said go to a battery place and ask them to check out with a voltmeter (this should be free btw).

with addition to this, if the reading fluctuates alot (ie from 8 to 14 volts back and forth), your alternators past its due date

GL mate

It was the battery guys....44611_419143573950_747453950_5145670_2779851_n.jpg

I replaced the battery right then and there.

Other auto-electricians in my area were charging $22-$30 to test the battery/alternator/starter ... one of them saying it would take them at least 30mins to an hour to diagnose.

Thanks for pointing me to Battery WOrld.

Edited by deevine_23