ZZE122 Drama

As the topic states, I am having dramas with my ZZE122 Corolla wagon.

When starting it, you have to crank it for 15-20 seconds before it fires.

So far in chasing this problem, I have replaced the spark plugs and leads, battery, and today the fuel pump and filter..

Still doing it. I'm half tempted to give up, and just take it to the rally track and hopefully hit a tree with it. I am so over it.

Been an on going saga for the last 8 months now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If it's having an effect on presurising the fuel that would definatly link your hard to start issue with the fuel system , how does the engine run when it finally starts? as in the first 5 - 10 seconds?

I did notice a split in the o-ring inside the fuel pump assembly. Would that have anything to do with it?

the o-ring needs to be intact, was there any signs of leakage? it has to be completely airtight, otherwise the fuel pressure isnt regulated properly. do u hear a very slight buzzing sound when u turn ur igition to the ON position?(not starting the engine yet). most of the times it should buzz for 3 seconds on a cold start in the morning. thats the normal operation of the fuel pump. it sometimes adjusts itself when ur at idle as well to get the correct fuel air mix into the engine.

if ur not sure about the o-ring, u can get a new one and replace it at toyota. although i'm not too sure if they sell it seperately...

and like mick said, pay attention how the car run initially and during driving. some loss of power jerkiness may be apparent

GL mate

In regards to how it ran after starting, it was fine once going.

Only had a cough & splutter on the first start of the day...

And the occasional stall when cold too.

I would strongly suggest that you measure your fuel pressure on start-up. It should be 45 psi at idle, any lower and you will have starting issues.

I had this problem a while back after I changed my fuel filter; the car worked fine for the first two days and then it started to become progressively harder and harder to start. I measured my fuel pressure and it was 15 psi at idle. I disassembled my fuel filter and found a squeezed o-ring and made sure that I re-seated it properly and put everything back together, fired it up and the reading was 45 psi and my starting issues were gone.

Hope this helps!

Thought I should give a quick update.

After replacing everything, (including a new o ring) the car is all good now.

chances are u probably only needed to replace the o-ring unless the case-cap was also busted either way good to hear u have it sorted