2010 ZRE low frequency road noise

I moved down in size from a Camry to a Corolla 2010 ZRE and notice an annoying low frequency road noise at freeway speeds. It seems to be present when the music is playing rock, i.e. only when the drums are are playing. Put another way, the drums sound a little distorted but only when at 100km/h.

What am I describing? Is it a lousy set of speakers compared to the Camry? Do I need better sound deadening?

I moved down in size from a Camry to a Corolla 2010 ZRE and notice an annoying low frequency road noise at freeway speeds. It seems to be present when the music is playing rock, i.e. only when the drums are are playing. Put another way, the drums sound a little distorted but only when at 100km/h.

What am I describing? Is it a lousy set of speakers compared to the Camry? Do I need better sound deadening?

Firstly, Im not quite sure what you're trying to say. Because from what im reading, you're saying car speed distorts your speakers?

Well im not sure which camry you had, but my dads camrys(gen 5) stock speakers have much more bass than the corolla speakers. So you can probably hear the low frequency's a little better. But the corolla has tweeters and the woofer, which lacks a bit midbass to me. I've also got a sub so that makes up for it a little. The issue to me sounds like you just get distracted by the road noise at freeway speeds. I do too, usually i just turn up the music a bit, or you can sound deaden the car

Firstly, Im not quite sure what you're trying to say. Because from what im reading, you're saying car speed distorts your speakers?

I'm not sure either, hence I am asking. :) My guess is some kind of harmonic effect, e.g.

• Low speed = road noise doesn't mix with bass notes, so no problem
  • 100 km/h = road noise mixes with bass notes, which sound distorted. Turn off radio and the rumble disappears, i.e. road noise alone doesn't have that rumble.

Does the 2010 have volume thats controlled by the speed of the car? IE the volume increases as the car goes faster to compensate for road noise? IE auto volume control? this could have something to do with it..

it sounds more like a grounding issue to be honest.

I presume this means electrical grounding of the radio?

Dutchie, I don't know. The Ascent is unlikely to have such a clever feature. When I put the radio on loud when on the freeway, it is still loud when I park the car. But good thinking, 99.

Ive also noticed the oddness of the stereo sound. It hard to describe but its like you are not hearing all the sounds. like half the music is muffled. its as if the mid sounds are non existent. I thought it was just me but when i play the same cd in my ford i can determine the sounds a lot easier. it may have related to the speaker positioning. sound deadening could be the go.

You may consider the Dynamat sound deadener, should be able to pick them up from an car Audio store,

Most Camry's (after 2002) have 6 X 9s, that could also cause a bit of difference in sound..

You may consider the Dynamat sound deadener, should be able to pick them up from an car Audio store,

Most Camry's (after 2002) have 6 X 9s, that could also cause a bit of difference in sound..

Yes, my Camry is also a 2005 Altise like yours.

Wow, I looked up Dynamat and discovered there is a whole world of car audio perfectionists out there. :) Ta.

Yep looking into Dynamat myself. If you dont want to add around 12kg to your ZRE, im looking at the Dynamat Superlight, Its almost half the weight as the Extreme Dynamat and onloy around a 20% drop in performance.

Does the 2010 have volume thats controlled by the speed of the car? IE the volume increases as the car goes faster to compensate for road noise? IE auto volume control? this could have something to do with it..

i remember that was the case with the aurions wen it first came out. awesome