hey all,

e10 has been around for some time now.recently, caltex has introduced e85(e-pump?-can't remember)which is why holden has planned to produce commodores being able to run it. therefore, i was wondering what all of you of there think of this new invention, and should it be used in toyotas produced in the future.

E85 has 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Mainly used for high powered vehicles (eg. turbo charged) to prevent engine knocking and detonation. I have a few friends who use the e85 blend in their WRXs and EVOs. The reason why they use E85 is because of increased engine compression/increase power output.

Benefits - Higher octane rating which burns more efficiently. Less carbon emissions. Avoids engine detonation. Renewable energy source.

Cons - Decrease in mileage. Increase engine wear and tear if air/fuel mixture is not properly maintained.

mate, i heard that to achieve that the same amount of power as with using regular unleaded or more, bigger fuel injectors are required to bring more fuel into the cylinders. the reason is because the engine requires more fuel to do so. also, another benefit is that its about half the price of regular unleaded.

• 3 weeks later...

Bigger injectors, fuel pump/s, tunable ecu, bigger turbo if you're near the max of your current one..

I was gonna do it to my car but my mechanic talked me out of it. He said it turns to sugar if not used for awhile, all the lines etc need replacing to stuff that can stand ethanol.. Turning to sugar put me off it as the car doesn't get driven much.

I was gonna do it to my car but my mechanic talked me out of it. He said it turns to sugar if not used for awhile, all the lines etc need replacing to stuff that can stand ethanol.. Turning to sugar put me off it as the car doesn't get driven much.

The mechanic was mistaken about ethanol turning to sugar if left for a period of time. Sugar is usually used to produce commercial quantities of it (by yeast fermentation, similar to beer), which would then be extracted and distilled. By the end of the process, it is no longer sugar, does not contain sugar, and cannot revert back to a sugar in your fuel rail spontaneously. I am a chemist BTW.

I personally don't see any advantage in using Pump e85 - I used it in my race car with no real advantage and only the inconvenience.

I did keep a tank full in the car for about a year though - and when I converted the car back to a streeter, drained it, it was clean as a whistle and had no issues with the fueling systems

well, according to the government and environamntal experts, the only advantages it brings is making the environment better. looking at your responses makes me assume that hardly anyone will use it or convert their cars to use it.