HID Questions

so yesterday my HID's came in and i had a go at trying to install them myself.

i didnt end up putting them in due to it getting to cold & dark + the stupid wind but anyways...

the problem(s) i got are that...

1. you know the black plastic cover that goes over the wires/bulb and stuff on the back of the headlight?

well the part that holds it in has snapped somehow. (will get pics of it soon if you got no idea of what im on about.)

at the moment it stays on but im just unsure if its something that has to be kept on...

would having it off result in moisture getting to the headlights?

2. BALLASTS!!! where did you guys mount yours? can they be mounted with out having to remove front bars?? ect ect...

also is there an easier way of installing the bulbs as it seems the sportivo bay is a bit of a tight one. (or am i just being a bitch? lol)

cheers for the help guys.

edit: sorry, its an 05 corolla sportivo. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jalapeno

so yesterday my HID's came in and i had a go at trying to install them myself.

i didnt end up putting them in due to it getting to cold & dark + the stupid wind but anyways...

the problem(s) i got are that...

1. you know the black plastic cover that goes over the wires/bulb and stuff on the back of the headlight?

well the part that holds it in has snapped somehow. (will get pics of it soon if you got no idea of what im on about.)

at the moment it stays on but im just unsure if its something that has to be kept on...

would having it off result in moisture getting to the headlights?

2. BALLASTS!!! where did you guys mount yours? can they be mounted with out having to remove front bars?? ect ect...

also is there an easier way of installing the bulbs as it seems the sportivo bay is a bit of a tight one. (or am i just being a bitch? lol)

cheers for the help guys.

edit: sorry, its an 05 corolla sportivo. rolleyes.gif

I think the black cover is only in the 2005+ model , my wifes car has it but my 03 model doesnt.

I went all out and removed the Bumper and both the lights to install the HIDS .

I mounted the Ballasts on the side of the Bumper reinforcement bar , this is where most of the straight surface was.

If you have the time remove the bumper and both the lights (saves you from trying to fit your hands in small places).This will inturn save you more time at the end.

Follow this guide : http://www.nrgizerbu...rontbumper.html

Its your bad boy right there , PS i didnt drill holes in my Headlight surrounds ..

Let me know if you want to see pics of where i mounted my Ballasts.

Edited by Rolla & Sao Boy

Rolla & Sao Boy...this goes to you.

1230021543615.jpg

thanks for that link mate.

and if you already have those pics of where you mounted the ballasts then that would be great.

p.s when you said the 03 doesnt have that cover, does that mean it looks like what the 05 would

look like without it, or is there some form of protection? if not is it all fine and dandy?

i might stop stressing if it is lol

cheers buddy

Rolla & Sao Boy...this goes to you.

thanks for that link mate.

and if you already have those pics of where you mounted the ballasts then that would be great.

p.s when you said the 03 doesnt have that cover, does that mean it looks like what the 05 would

look like without it, or is there some form of protection? if not is it all fine and dandy?

i might stop stressing if it is lol

cheers buddy

Yeah 03 Model doesnt have the plastic cover .Instead it has a Rubber surround which covers/conceals the clip that holds the globe.

I'm not going to say the cover it not important as it will keep water and dust away but the light will work without it ..

post-9489-128279395138_thumb.jpg Passengers side mount

post-9489-128279400499_thumb.jpg Drivers Light removed

@ R&S (that sounds like a yr 12 subject i did) neway, wheres the CAI mate? I got mine in and will be doing a full install writeup when i get the time with pics.

p.s. looks like those rims needa cleaning :P

@ R&S (that sounds like a yr 12 subject i did) neway, wheres the CAI mate? I got mine in and will be doing a full install writeup when i get the time with pics.

p.s. looks like those rims needa cleaning tongue.gif

lol kewl10_mac .. Those rims are always dirty mate .. I think the pads on the fronts might be cheapos , dust and some noise when i back up slowly.

On the subject of the CAI , a bit disappointent .sad.gif . The bugger wasnt a proper fit .. Firstly one of the brackets was slightly bent but it didnt appear damaged.I thought it was designed that way till i fit it .. Secondly i broke the black rubber mount pulling and tugging on it to go with the CAI (thats my fault).Thirdly , the MAF sensor holes were not alligned .. The screws dont sit in properly and 1 screw is only half in .. That was the icing on the cake of frustration.

I have fitted 2 other CAI's on my cars before but never have had this much trouble with one especially a Custom CAI .. lol .

At the end of the day it took me 2 hrs when i knew i could do it in 60 mins tops .. Still $460 well spent minus the LIFT.. I do miss the lift though..

Some ppl will never be happy.dry.gif

I got some pics but i was too angry to post them.

And i figured what to do with the extra 2 hoses , hopefully you did the same ..

Sorry Charlie , im as quick as flash hence you never see me .. laugh.gif .. No, i use more the Glen Alpine way thats you dont see me a lot ..

Edited by Rolla & Sao Boy

im sorry to hear about your install. i did post something in the CES CAI group buy about my install but as all the pics are over 1MB, it would take me forever to upload them or even downscale them n then upload so i just figured everyone can PM me with their emails if they want the pics.

Also i did figure out what those two extra hoses were for