08 ZR6 Update

Joseph

Hi Guys - well I pick my ZR6 on Thurs, havent been this excited in a long while

Over the last few weeks I have learnt a hell of a lot about the Sportivo from you guys, thanks, I was going to have the car lowered using Pedders springs before leaving Perth for the drive home, which is 1500k's, however after reading through all the info here in regards springs I have changed my mind and will wait and see how the car looks with a set of 19x8 wheels, I do not want to scrub out the tyres on the guards when going over cattle grids, Im interested to see the TRD version has different rated springs than the ZR6, I think I read that the TRD is 15mm lower? please correct me if I am wrong.

Couple of quick questions for you more experienced minds out there if you please.

1. What suspension setup should I get to emulate the TRD

2. Which make

3. Whats your preference re tyres

I know a lot of these questions have been answered before in other threads, but I figured things may have changed.

Cheers guys, I will post a pic of my ZR6 as soon as I get her home :yahoo:

Cheers Joe

Hi Joseph,

Yes you are quite correct the TRD versions are 15mm lower with a slightly stiffer spring rate.

To replicate the TRD suspension you can buy the different springs and shocks from Toyota but it works out quite dear and you may as well throw a few hundred more $$ at it and buy coil over’s which would yield a better results in terms of handling, body control and ride quality.

Most of us have opted for either Kings springs which sit the car about 25mm-32mm lower with obvious body control benefits. Or Peddars and Lovell that sit the car a little bit lower again. So just depends what look you’re after and what sort of handling, ride quality compromise you’re chasing.

If you want to' emulate' the TRD, then the obvious answer is.. surprise surprise, TRD Aurion springs and shocks. But as was said by Adamsy, you would be better off with a set of coilovers for just a little extra. Even at trade price, getting the TRD Aurion springs and shock will work out for the same amount as a set of BC Racing coilovers, and for a bit extra (which would be worth it) you can then get some Pedders coilovers.

Getting coilovers will give you better customisability so you can either lower your Aurion as much as the TRD, or lower than what King springs or Pedders springs alone can do. You can also then adjust the shocks to give you far better control than stock (which is no control).

Tires are a personal thing. I won't go into that topic.

If you want to' emulate' the TRD, then the obvious answer is.. surprise surprise, TRD Aurion springs and shocks. But as was said by Adamsy, you would be better off with a set of coilovers for just a little extra. Even at trade price, getting the TRD Aurion springs and shock will work out for the same amount as a set of BC Racing coilovers, and for a bit extra (which would be worth it) you can then get some Pedders coilovers.

Getting coilovers will give you better customisability so you can either lower your Aurion as much as the TRD, or lower than what King springs or Pedders springs alone can do. You can also then adjust the shocks to give you far better control than stock (which is no control).

Tires are a personal thing. I won't go into that topic.

Thank you for the information guys, I think I will get a set of coilovers fitted to my ZR6, from the information you haven given me it looks like the obvious choice. I didnt know there was a TRD version, Ive been looking at a couple that are on the market, but I will stick with the ZR6 for now and see if Toyota brings out a new version of the TRD in the next year or so.

I do agree with you DJKOR, tyres are a personal thing, but I have been out of the car/tyres scene for a while now and Im not up with what is good and what is crap, of course tyre dealers will tell you anything you want hear, but I thought you guys might offer me a little advise, and maybe save me a little grief in the long run!!

I appreciate your expertise in this field, if you want to know anything about tugboats just let me know, been in the business for over 30 years!! haha

Cheers

joe

I had a chat with Pedders in Perth re getting coilovers, cost will be $2100 fitted, interestingly they also advised me that putting coilovers on your car was illegal!!!! they said about 30% of customers had to come back and have the original springs re fitted to get their car over the pits,after getting pinged by the law for doing silly things?? is this the same as other states or just a WA thing??

Cheers

Joe

I had a chat with Pedders in Perth re getting coilovers, cost will be $2100 fitted, interestingly they also advised me that putting coilovers on your car was illegal!!!! they said about 30% of customers had to come back and have the original springs re fitted to get their car over the pits,after getting pinged by the law for doing silly things?? is this the same as other states or just a WA thing??

Cheers

Joe

This is interesting, I was told differently (from Osborne Park Pedders) that it is fine as long as it is not too low. I also advised RAC that I installed the coilover, only question they asked was "how much did I lower the car?", I told them 20-30mm and they didn't ask anything else and then updated my policy....