2010 SR5 Hilux

HK1837

Hi all.

I just bought a new 2010 SR5 V6 auto Hilux.

I know most Hilux owners seem to love their diesels, but I need to tow a car float and the V6 5spd auto is the best available to do the job for me. It is replacing a VZ Holden Cross8 which has reached 5 years old and as a business vehicle has reached it's usable end of life as far as tax benefits are concerned. I drove all the diesels but they are just too agricultural for me, and the pick of the bunch is the D4D auto Hilux, but I felt very let down by the 4spd auto compared to the 5spd behind the V6. Plus this 2010 V6 auto on the road with tow bar, tub liner, mats, headlight & bonnet guards was $48k driveaway. The cheapest diesel auto I could buy was a 2009 build at $51.5k driveaway without any accessories. So I can buy a lot of extra fuel for the $4500 or so difference!

Note that I chose an auto due to the amount of reversing required on my driveway - I tried manuals in ST-X Navara (V6 & diesel), BT-50 and SR5 and I doubt the clutches would cope, also worried about reversing in 4L on concrete. The BT-50 manual had un-lockable front drive in 4L but Mazda told me (hush-hush) that the dual mass clutches wouldn't handle my application. So the auto is was!

So my question is, Toyota tell me the A750F Hilux doesn't need an auxiliary transmission cooler. I say BS. Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit made for these, or am I stuck with a generic that I have to adapt myself? I notice Wholesale Automatics sell a fabulous transmission temperature guage kit which i'll probably get. They also do an aftermarket valve body to crispten up the shifts and reduce flaring which will be great when towing.

Cheers

Byron

Edit - sorry all. I think I put this in the wrong forum section. If so, can someone please move it to the right section?

Edited by HK1837

Hi Byron.

Welcome.

nice choice of vehicle mate :D

Whether you're aware or not, there is a trans cooler on these, it runs through the bottom tank of your radiator.

Mine has been adequate so far, but I will be diverting lines and installing a large air to air heat exchanger in the near future.

If you want to talk shift kits, send me a PM

Hi Byron.

Welcome.

nice choice of vehicle mate :D

Whether you're aware or not, there is a trans cooler on these, it runs through the bottom tank of your radiator.

Mine has been adequate so far, but I will be diverting lines and installing a large air to air heat exchanger in the near future.

If you want to talk shift kits, send me a PM

Thanks mate. I know they "cool" through the radiator, but it isn't good enough in my opinion. I have always added an extra cooler to all tow vehicles.

Wholesale Automatics sent me info on their cooler, plus their temperature guage. I'll PM you re shift kits. Their recalibrated valve body is $895, I can fit easily at home on my hoist. Plus it is a genuine one modded so no-one would ever know!