Aurion shuddering - causes? cures?

Damienh7

Hi all,

I'm hoping to find a solution that dealer service department cannot find, so a good start would be to find someone experiencing the same issue.

We bought an 07 Aurion AT-X with 80,000km about 3 months back from a Holden dealer. Has 3 month warranty which is about over, but believe me, the issue has been well any truly reported!

The issue occurs intermittently, and is hard to replicate on demand with the service guy in the car. Essentially it seems to be a strong shudder when at moderate speeds (between 40 and 80), while under light acceleration (between 1500 and 2500rpm to give a broad range).

We've have it back 4 times with this issue, and the solution has been to redo the wheel alignment (done in preparation for sale originally), wheels balanced, and rotated on all 4 visits - this seems to be their solution. It does seem to have fixed some pulling to the left that was evident early, but still getting the shudder. The fact that the issue returns each time indicates to me that the issue is not going to be solved in the long term by a rotation every 1,000km!

I have found some info from the US (same engine in their V6 Camry) that seems to be describing the issue we're experiencing, and it's noted as a torque converter issue:

TSB-0061-08 - 5/13/08 - Torque Converter Shudder

Some Customers may be concerned about an intermittent shudder when lightly accelerating after an upshift around the following speeds: 26 mph (4th), 36 mph (5th), and/or 44 mph (6th). Production changes to the torque converter assembly have been implemented to improve this condition. Refer to the repair procedure below for diagnostic instructions to confirm if the torque converter needs to be replaced to address customer concerns.

R&R Torque Converter - 6.6 hours

Torque Converter Assembly # 32000-0721

Anyone experienced this, and more importantly, found the cause and been able to have it rectified?

Thanks,

Damien