buying tyres from us

clugerno5

even on eBay? :huh:

how cheap are they? I got Bridgestone OEM tyres for $400 each all up from K Mart a couple of weeks ago...

ok ,my local tyre dealer quoted $500 ea for the bridgestones , havent got a kmart close to me but will go for a drive to save 100 X4

even on eBay? :huh:

how cheap are they? I got Bridgestone OEM tyres for $400 each all up from K Mart a couple of weeks ago...

ok ,my local tyre dealer quoted $500 ea for the bridgestones , havent got a kmart close to me but will go for a drive to save 100 X4

Pays to ring a few places. I rang 6 tyre retailers and prices ranged from $580 (Bridgestone store) to $400! The Kmart was part of my local Shell servo

If you get them from the USA get them from Tirerack. Great service and damn good shipping prices since they have good deals with the shipping companies. International sales you need to contact them by email.

Just for **** and giggles I plugged in the tyres for the 19"

Bridgestone Dueler 245/55R19 are $189 each.

I wonder how much international shipping is. That's quite a good price compared to local.

If you get them from the USA get them from Tirerack. Great service and damn good shipping prices since they have good deals with the shipping companies. International sales you need to contact them by email.

Just for **** and giggles I plugged in the tyres for the 19"

Bridgestone Dueler 245/55R19 are $189 each.

I wonder how much international shipping is. That's quite a good price compared to local.

Best contact them. I'm sure they get emails all the time requesting the info anyway.

Best contact them. I'm sure they get emails all the time requesting the info anyway.

Just did. Asked for a quote on shipping 5 to Melbourne, and asked about if the cost comes down for larger quantities (for group buys).

Will let everyone know the outcome.

also don't forget about customs tax too (those in know, please add your 2c)

good job on asking and getting a reply back, please do keep us updated :)

also don't forget about customs tax too (those in know, please add your 2c)

good job on asking and getting a reply back, please do keep us updated :)

Actually, that's a good point. Need to keep the order sub $1k so as not to get stung on that I seem to recall.

all the above is true.

BUT

if you order tyros that made in the US, you will exempt from tax due to trade agreement. I have paper to prove it. I brought 4 Duelar Avenis 255/45 19. $1000 plus postage from tirerack.

no tax

but you have to wire the money in as they do not do cards. that cost another $25 or so.

all the above is true.

BUT

if you order tyros that made in the US, you will exempt from tax due to trade agreement. I have paper to prove it. I brought 4 Duelar Avenis 255/45 19. $1000 plus postage from tirerack.

no tax

but you have to wire the money in as they do not do cards. that cost another $25 or so.

Be careful on this. My understanding is that there are two components to any tax payable. Customs duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Even if any FTA exists, it would only exempt you to pay the customs duty, but the GST would still apply for imports over $1000.

Maybe you just snuck through? It also depends on what the sender puts does as the value on the commercial invoice.

There are some exemptions to GST, but I don't think tires fall into any categories

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/13193.htm

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp

Just did. Asked for a quote on shipping 5 to Melbourne, and asked about if the cost comes down for larger quantities (for group buys).

Will let everyone know the outcome.

So shipping to my address in Melbourne is $343 (or near $1k express).

So.

$945 - 5 x tyres (Bridgestone Dueler 245/55R19 $189 ea)

$343 - Shipping

$129 - GST (will likely get pinged on the way in)

$100 - fit and balance (guesstimate)

-----

$1517 - total - or about $300 per tyre fitted and balanced.

Plus the pain of carting some tyres to your local tyre place to get fitted.

I should add - I've not done any currency conversion given how close the US and AU dollars are. So take currency fluctuations into account when working out if this is good for you.

Edited by Pugsly

The magic number is $1000 AUD. Anything under that Australian customs is not interested in. Over $1000 (total value of goods not including freight) they slap on GST, Declaration Processing Charge, Line Transport and Insurance charge. For a $1660AUD Network Attached Storage Device I had to pay Australian Customs all these fees totalling $229.28 before they would release from the bond store! All these costs are quoted directly from my Customs Tax Invoice.

When I spoke to Customs they said to remember the $1000 limit. In this case it was pointless as the unit was a singular item that could not be broken down into individual parts to values of less than $1000 in total.

Its also based on the value of the entire shipment not each individual item within that shipment!

thanks for all the replys

decided to try the local bridgestone dealer

i dont buy tires from there myself but we take a lot of our company vehicals there

asked him for his best price

came back with 325$ each for OE Bridgestones :clap:

id still like to get some decent off road tires thou for a trip to darwin and the center in 18 months

thanks for all the replys

decided to try the local bridgestone dealer

i dont buy tires from there myself but we take a lot of our company vehicals there

asked him for his best price

came back with 325$ each for OE Bridgestones :clap:

id still like to get some decent off road tires thou for a trip to darwin and the center in 18 months

Given my import research, I'd be going with that. Sounds quite reasonable.