Anybody know anything about arts law?

Foss

Just need to know the law with regard to protecting stage names.

I've just found out a local cover band is using the same stage name as I've been using as a DJ for years. Does this need to be registered as a business name or some other authority to claim ownership?

Just need to know the law with regard to protecting stage names.

I've just found out a local cover band is using the same stage name as I've been using as a DJ for years. Does this need to be registered as a business name or some other authority to claim ownership?

What is the stage name out of curiosity? =P

sorry I can't be of further help lol

Interesting.. If you had registered the name as a business you'd have a much better argument if you chose to sue.. But just coz you used the name first doesn't mean you may win. I'm thinking of Nissan suing Nissan.. A company named Nissan that existed back when Nissan was named datsun...wwf suing wwf, Mcdonalds have sued heaps of smaller businesses over their name. If you wanted to sue , you've got to make some sort of argument that your brand is suffering some how due to the confusion of them using the samename as you... I'm not really an expert in law, but as an art teacher we talk bout that sorta stuff when an artist rips off another persons idea or beats in music..

Does this need to be registered as a business name or some other authority to claim ownership?

I'd hazard a guess and say it would need to be registered, otherwise it's just a form of a nickname that "some" people call you by.

Probably would need to copyright it to claim rights.

Edited by Morequick

I see it as 2 different areas of the entertainment industry. You being a DJ who plays music on a machine and the other party a BAND who perform with instruments and vocals. Unless you promote yourself as a BAND or the other party promotes themselves as a DJ, I don't think you would have a case being registered or not.

I see it as 2 different areas of the entertainment industry.

Trademarks have nothing to do with being in the same "area", the only thing is if it is registered or not.

I remember reading a while ago on the Telegraph that Katy Perry was suing a dress designer in Sydney who was also called Katy Perry and was labelling her dresses as such. A record artist and dress maker have little in common lol.

I see it as 2 different areas of the entertainment industry.

Trademarks have nothing to do with being in the same "area", the only thing is if it is registered or not.

I remember reading a while ago on the Telegraph that Katy Perry was suing a dress designer in Sydney who was also called Katy Perry and was labelling her dresses as such. A record artist and dress maker have little in common lol.

Point Taken. I remember that about Katy Perry. Also the McDonalds Take Away shop who sold hamburgers being sued my McDonalds.