E-85 Fuel

GKLUGER

Hi all,

I was researching E85 as Caltex has started rolling this out to some of their servos (there's one 5km down the road) and Holden has released their Flex-fuel car.

While I was researching E85, there is a company in Oz that sells kits to allow all modern cars with FI to use the kit in order to use Flex Fuel (E10, E85, ULP, PULP95, PULP98). As I understand it, no engine modification is required as the kit is connected to the Fuel Injectors to change the air/fuel mixture depending on type of fuel used.

I know that some people dismiss or debunk ethanol (lower energy content = less mileage)(food for fuel = this myth is debunked since the ethanol source in Australia is sourced from byproducts and soon, waste products unlike in the US where ethanol comes from corn supplies which is a ethical issue of using food to power cars).

I realise that E85 will result in a claimed 30% reduction in mileage but Caltex is promising to stick to a 20c/l discount of prevailing ULP prices to offset the mileage loss. The point being not a financial issue but an environmental issue and the dwindling oil reserves.

The question is not of is it worthwhile financially (the kit is $395), but will it work? I am curious how it will work on the Kluger (or any Toyota or any car)(Not that I watch it but the V8 supercars have all switched to E85). The no-brainer of course is get off the black stuff (the crude oil) and become less reliant (on global crude oil)(which Brazil realised from the oil embargo in the 1970s and have used Flex-fuel cars ever since). The second no-brainer is that since the energy source is renewable and less CO2 used, from an environmental impact this is a big +. I know people are going to argue but of what energy costs for producing ethanol (well, the answer is simple - solar energy + the fuel produced can be used onsite for production needs = sustainable). Producing petroleum has a greater net loss to deliver the fuel to the car compared to ethanol. Not to mention the numerous oil spills which the cost is never recoverable from the implicit loss of the environment, since no amount of money can ever restore the natural balance.

Secondly, what will the impact be on warranty with using aftermarket products? I'm guessing we'd have to prove the kit did not cause any problems. Apparently, the kit can be installed so that there is no permanent modification made to the car (like LPG). That is, if you wanted to sell the car and remove it, the kit is easily removed and it will appear as nothing went in at all.

The website is www.e-85.com.au - all the information is there.

Regards,

G

If Lexus doesn't recommend ethanol blends greater than 10%, then I would stay away from E85 if I were you.

http://www.lexus.com.au/service/fuel/

That recommendation would be partly based around still using the stock engine management/injectors etc. Obviously there would be possible issues with fuel tank/pump/lines etc too though.