2 litre VVTL-i in Corolla?

Hmm, i just recalled the Toyota Altezza's 2 litre VVTL-i engine that produces 215bhp or 160kw!!! You guys remember this car which was never released in Oz. It looks exactly like the Lexus IS200, just got a different engine and drivetrain. That hi performance engine would be nice in the Corolla or Celica because it would have more torque down low with the increased capacity. What do you all think? The Altezza also has a 6 speed box. I wonder if they were the ones the Celica has which is what we have in our Sportivos. This car was released in 1999. TRD even makes a turbo version of the Altezza, with RWD this car would be great fun! Apparently, it has been dubbed the AE86 Trueno/Levin successor!

Zee

I think your talking abt the 2L 3sge BEAM engine with twin VVTI.

it makes about 210bhp.

I havent read of any other toyota engine besides 2zzge which has vvtL-i.

:blink: Twin VVTi by BEAMS!! Wow, thanks for clearing that up mate. But i remember watching Best Motoring featuring an Altezza and it revs just like the VVTL-i motor as if it has LIFT too. When it gets past 6000rpm it just goes and revs to 8000 plus rpm!

So wouldn't that make the 2ZZ-GE a revolutionary engine by Toyota being the first with LIFT!?

Zee

thats pretty cool.

Screaminrolla: if it a rwd motor then rotate it by 90deg and itll b a fwd motor.

FYI: lexus is also releasing a v8 version of the is200, itll b called is340.

Are all Front wheel drives like that? I thought it was the Mini that first used the East-West engine layout but I thought there were front wheel drives out before that??. Damn going back some years now, memory eludes me :P

i dont think i was born yet. hehehe

but i dont think there is any fwd car made atm that still uses that technique. i think its cheaper to have it mounted transversly(west-east). and its prob more effiecint too.

i could be wrong but.

i dont think i was born yet. hehehe

but i dont think there is any fwd car made atm that still uses that technique. i think its cheaper to have it mounted transversly(west-east). and its prob more effiecint too.

i could be wrong but.

Yeah im not sure, but I "think" the old pulsar et turbo may have been a straight mounted one. but yeah no new cars are :)

• 1 year later...

Just feel i should add that the RS200 IS available in Australia as private or CAMS approved import, and so far we have located at least two privately imported examples, both in Sydney.

There is also a few BEAMS transplants around, including an awesome AE86 (Billzilla on the Toymods forums) and a PRB clubman.

At least one IS200 we know of has also done the IS200 - RS200 conversion (he is based in Melbourne). If anyone knows this guy, please let me know!!!

There will be some CAMS (ie. race track only) imports occuring early next year within our club also.

Matt

npoe, ur worng. et pulsar engine

it seems that no rwd has it mounted transversly, but some fwd have it mounted longitudally. heres a very informative site: site

The only rwd with a transverse motor that I personally can recall was a show car built by Ford in the USA in the early 90's, where they were experimenting with running drive off the centre of the crank, through an opening in the block. The ultimate idea was to build fwd, rwd and awd vehicles on the one platform. There was some Australian input, also, as the engine used was the 3.2 litre straight six that was the standard engine in the original EA Falcons.

Some of you may also know that the 3.8 litre Buick V6 in the VN Commodore was originally designed as a north-south rwd engine in the '60's, converted to east-west fwd in the '70's and then turned around again in the late 80's to suit the VN.