Difficulty shifting in Sportivo

:( Hmm, i started this post because i was having problems with 1st and 2nd gear when in lift and around 8000rpm. If i rev to just 7000rpm its fine. I am still having difficulty shifting with 1500kms on my car now. I know some of you guys would say to give it a few more kms to loosen up but i test drove a new Sportivo at a dealership and it was fine. My problem is the shifter locks for a split second and then frees up before i can shift. And there is a tap or knock from the transmission when it loosens up. I suspect it is a problem and i will bring it in when i get a few more kms otherwise Toyota will just dismiss my claim and say "..it will loosen up with more kms" :angry:

Do you guys think it is something to do with the gear selector cables? Or is it a clutch or gear issue? Feedback from EVERYONE is welcomed! PEACE!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what the new gearboxes are like, but I've been told Toyota 'boxes have a tendancy to be clunky *shrugs*

And the one you test drove was a demo model, which means low klms but a lot of gearshifts. Its been run in a lot more than a brand spanking new one.

If youre desperate I'm sure you can get an adapter plate and put in a supra gearbox or something hehe.

Not sure what the new gearboxes are like, but I've been told Toyota 'boxes have a tendancy to be clunky *shrugs*

And the one you test drove was a demo model, which means low klms but a lot of gearshifts. Its been run in a lot more than a brand spanking new one.

If youre desperate I'm sure you can get an adapter plate and put in a supra gearbox or something hehe.

Yeh, they are sort of clunky and notchy <_< Hmm..

Hey GZE_Bandit, when are u cruising around Wollongong? I am guessing you live in Wollongong right? Maybe i can meet up with u one day and cruise together! :lol: Would love to have a look at your car! There are 2 or 3 Sportivo owners i know on this forum that live in the Illawarra, have you bumped into any of them on the streets yet?

It's not just about straightline speed, horsepower, torque you 4age morons. It's the whole package. This car still brings a smile to my face every time i venture into lift. I'd rather lose in style than in a piece of s@#T you guys drive. You guys made it this way so cop it or leave this forum. Secasx are you in Syd? if you are i'll see ya on the streets :angry: .

Well if you had of been on a recent cruise we had to terrigal you would of seen the corollas handling pretty nicely aroun hte old pac highway keeping our own with Mr2's. So our 'old peices of ****' can hold our own, half of its the driver not the car. 'European Styling' you could of got a better looking car for the price you payed.

Zee - you E-gene and I have the latest sportivo's so we are in the same boat.

I have been working the gearbox a fair bit trying to loosen it up and it is getting there slowly. I too have done around 1500K's and I can shift out of lift 1 -> 2 but you do have to give it a good pull to get it there.

I have had the gear selector cable looked at because of the rattle and it was replaced with a different one and the shifting has been exactly the same.

I think I posted earlier in this topic about how the gearbox is not to be pushed too hard in the first 100-1500....but once its loosened up its strong as an Ox.

Stay in there, but if its not smoothing itself out soon....take it in for a look see :)

i can agree to what grinder said, in straight line the gze was pretty much on par, on the corners they weren't to the same degree but hey you can't compare a mr car to a fwd car, the one i was behind suffered from bad body roll and almost ran up his ***** because he had to slam the breaks on through sharp corners (needs suspension upgrade)! on a road like the pac hwy handling is the key so of course my car has the advantage even over cars that are quickder in a straight line, my car sw20 mr2 non turbo 3sge has no problems keeping up with rexes through the twisties ie a road like pac hwy but on the straights they will kill me haha

Man your cars are ancient get over them. Greywolfe learn how to spell before you post. The sportivo has a balance of both style and performance so i am happy either way. It has show and go.They are not a race car but push it and it sure acts like one. This was mainly a sportivo forum before you pissers came along. I suggest you guys start your own club/forum as our cars are completely different and this inturn is causing clashes in opinions and comments.

Hahaha , go buy some more eyelids you rice boy.