steering wheel

seandarcher

Hi

I have a Toyota Hilux Single cab Ute 1988, I need to remove the steering wheel. I have removed the horn cover and there is a sinlge bolt which looks like it clamps the steering wheel to the steering column but after removing the bolt I'm unable to pull the steering wheel off. Where am I going wrong?

Hi

I have a Toyota Hilux Single cab Ute 1988, I need to remove the steering wheel. I have removed the horn cover and there is a sinlge bolt which looks like it clamps the steering wheel to the steering column but after removing the bolt I'm unable to pull the steering wheel off. Where am I going wrong?

That is normal for most cars, the steering wheel is a tight fit over the shaft spline so are often difficult to remove even after the bolt is off. You can get a special steering wheel puller from most automotive stores, however my preferred method is to put the nut back on just a bit (to stop the steering wheel when it finally comes off) and pull the steering wheel off towards you, jiggling it as you do - I've found this works in 9 outta 10 cases.

... however my preferred method is to put the nut back on just a bit (to stop the steering wheel when it finally comes off) and pull the steering wheel off towards you, jiggling it as you do - I've found this works in 9 outta 10 cases.

Yep. This is my preferred method as well. Grab it at the 3 and 6 9 o'clock position and start rocking it back and forward on each side pulling back with a little force. It should give way rather quickly. Except when I do it, I opt to go with no bolt. I like to take the chance :lol:

... however my preferred method is to put the nut back on just a bit (to stop the steering wheel when it finally comes off) and pull the steering wheel off towards you, jiggling it as you do - I've found this works in 9 outta 10 cases.

Yep. This is my preferred method as well. Grab it at the 3 and 6 o'clock position and start rocking it back and forward on each side pulling back with a little force. It should give way rather quickly. Except when I do it, I opt to go with no bolt. I like to take the chance :lol:

you crazy man.

BTW don't you mean the 12 and 6 o'clock positions?