need help on replacing a coolant reservoir asap :(

Nightfall

Hi all, I own a '97 camry and(4th gen) with 5S FE engine, 4cyl 2.2L,and I realized that the coolant reservoir of mine has a couple of severe cracks on it

and needs replacing right away.. coolant is leaking all over from it :( I was thinking of doing it myself as it's gonna cost me a lot to have it done at a

workshop or someplace else. I was told that buying the coolant reservoir also known as coolant overflow tank costs around 50 bucks at a toyota dealership

part store.. am I right? and I kind of looked at it and there seems to be 3 bolts and one hose connected to the radiator to be taken off for the work.

I was wondering what size of a ratchet socket would I be in need of and if I could reuse the coolant once the current coolant reservoir has been taken off.

Coolant replacement was just done about a week ago so I don't want to spend money again on buying coolant.

So please guys help me on this and help me start being a DIYer!!

Honestly, Taking ur car to a mechanic for this problem is laughable, even for the most non mechanically minded person, coz this is so ez to do. As u saw its only a matter of a few bolts and pull off the overflow hose. Don't kno wot size socket u'll need as i dont have ur car. But a rough guess would b 10mm, but just go thru ur set till one fits. Check eBay etc for new bottle. Don't buy anything from rip off dealers untill u have searched EVERYWHERE else first. Same goes for all other mechanical work. Wreckers

are as big a rip off as the dealers. Keep ur old coolant to re-use coz u said its new, unless it looks dirty in some

way. Don't b afraid to attempt most anything, look well, take pics if ur memory isn't the best and go for it.

Edited by Jordo2

Is is just me not being able to find it or there actually isn't a coolant bottle for 4th gen camry on ebay? I see tons of those for wide body camry but

I couldn't find a single one for mine LOL guess I might be going to a dealership anyways ..

It's done! I bought the tank from a dealership for 52$ and did it with nothing but an adjustable wrench.

For those who need this information, and if your camry is 97-01 SXV20 with 5S-FE engine,

all you have to do is take out the radiator hose from the tank, undo the bolt attached to the side

of the tank and pull the tank upwards. And then fit a new tank, bolt it tight and connect the radiator

hose back to the coolant reservoir.

As it was the first time doing it and there were no instruction or such thing in repair manual or on the internet,

I kind of got confused with which bolt to remove and took more time than it should but if I did it again, I probably

would have done it within 3 minutes.

real breeze LOL

On a side note, it's interesting how they opted to bolt the coolant reservoir in on the Gen 4. I'm not sure about the Gen 3 & 5, but on my old Gen 2 Camry, the current Gen 6, and my Aurion, the coolant reservoir simply just slides onto a bracket with no tools required for removal.

• 2 weeks later...

I am living near Sydney City area.

Does any know where can I get the part mentioned above ?

Thanks.

Probably any Toyota Parts Department open on a Saturday. Go to the Toyota website and look for the nearest dealer.

On a side note, it's interesting how they opted to bolt the coolant reservoir in on the Gen 4. I'm not sure about the Gen 3 & 5, but on my old Gen 2 Camry, the current Gen 6, and my Aurion, the coolant reservoir simply just slides onto a bracket with no tools required for removal.

The Gen5 coolant reservoir is bolted in with a single bolt.