Help need urgently

Nitz

Hi Boys and Girls

I have been around for a while, reading and getting help from each and every comments.

It has helped me out with all other stuff on my car.

Something that has been bothering me for some time is the fumes of the exhaust, i can smell the FUEL.

I dont know if its with the engine combustion system or any other thing.

I have done minor servicing by myself, change of engine oil, sparks, oil filter, fuel filter, air filters.

The car is a Toyota Corolla RV SECA 1995. The engine is 7afe, 1.8litre. the car has done 275k on the clock.

Very well maintained, and in good shape as well.

So my main problem...

1) Should i be concerned about the fuel smell in the exhaust smoke. The smoke it shelf is not visible. but the smell is ever present.

2) Do you guys think i need to have the engine checked by a mechanic??

3) Changing the spark plug cables will make any difference?

4) Any other suggestions of opinions will be highly appreciated.

Thanking you guys in advance.

Cheers

Q. Is the car misfiring at all? does it struggle to get the balls and get up and go? does it run rough etcetc???

just throwing it out there if it does have one of those symptoms perhaps its misfiring and fuel aint being burnt its why u can smell it?

Q. hows the fuel economy?

The car drives great, from what i can pick, the car is not miss firing or anything,

Actually the take of is great, and i reach 1 - 80 in no time..... beleive me, the 1.8 7afe is fast.... not that fast compared to the big guns.... :)

The fuel economy is about 10l/100km, but i am mostly doing highway driving as well, with a occasional short drives here n there, but would be under 50km per fill for short stop driving.

i get just about 380 to 400 km from a full tank fuel, i normally fill up as just before the empty light. goes to say, i normally fill 34 - 37 liters per fill.

The smell is more dense, more like when we are at the petrol station, filling up.

If i start the engine and go at back of the car, i can smell the fuel....

Do you guys think, its got to do anything with the mixture setting, or the ECU???

Any suggestions????

I am counting on you guys........

also, what do you mean by fuel smell? does it smell like its running rich? or can you literaly smell petrol?

yes i think its running rich, i can literally smell the fuel...

The car drives great, from what i can pick, the car is not miss firing or anything,

Actually the take of is great, and i reach 1 - 80 in no time..... beleive me, the 1.8 7afe is fast.... not that fast compared to the big guns.... :)

The fuel economy is about 10l/100km, but i am mostly doing highway driving as well, with a occasional short drives here n there, but would be under 50km per fill for short stop driving.

i get just about 380 to 400 km from a full tank fuel, i normally fill up as just before the empty light. goes to say, i normally fill 34 - 37 liters per fill.

The smell is more dense, more like when we are at the petrol station, filling up.

If i start the engine and go at back of the car, i can smell the fuel....

Do you guys think, its got to do anything with the mixture setting, or the ECU???

Any suggestions????

I am counting on you guys........

10lt per 100km is ratshit... i would be replacing your ox sensor, replacing your fuel filter, replacing spark plugs, checking leads, etc.

Once youve done all that reset your ecm.

But, from what you descibe i would be also checking for a fuel leak... because IMO a car running rich smells different to actual fuel. haha

ok, so i should be looking at a new O2 sensor.....

any ideas where it is located??

i tired to have a look but its all congested and confusing :angry: :angry:

any heads up would be great!!! i have my day off on friday, so guess will have to work on it

any heads up would be great!!! i have my day off on friday, so guess will have to work on it

It will be in the exhaust manifold...

Once I could literally smell fuel after parking my car. After a bit of sniffing around I finally discovered that the person who had serviced my fuel system a week earlier neglected to reconnect the purge line into the charcoal canister.

Worth a quick look I guess.

Once I could literally smell fuel after parking my car. After a bit of sniffing around I finally discovered that the person who had serviced my fuel system a week earlier neglected to reconnect the purge line into the charcoal canister.

Worth a quick look I guess.

hi

i have already done a lot of sniffing around, but i guess its either to do with the mixture, or as others have suggested, the O2 sensor.

any other thing i should look at??

It will be in the exhaust manifold...

Thanks man, will have a look tommorw morning as i am starting work a bit late. hmmmm, have to get a bit dirty now.

Ahh sorry, I didn't read the part about it being in the exhaust fumes. D'oh.

I think what others have suggested is reasonable. There's also the possibility that the coolant temperature or air temperature or pressure/flow sensors are giving an incorrect reading, making the system run very rich. Did you look for any problem codes?

Hi Guys

I could not find the 02 sensor.... seems i am not that smart as i thought i was....

I think i will need to take it to a mechanic to have a look at the car.

Any suggestions or any one you guys know will be able to help me out.

I am from Dandenong North Area, that is Melbourne.

By the way, i got some second hand wheels for the seca, the ride looks awesome, take a look guys.

post-20604-0-96917800-1294486309_thumb.j

Hi Guys

I could not find the 02 sensor.... seems i am not that smart as i thought i was....

I think i will need to take it to a mechanic to have a look at the car.

Any suggestions or any one you guys know will be able to help me out.

I am from Dandenong North Area, that is Melbourne.

By the way, i got some second hand wheels for the seca, the ride looks awesome, take a look guys.

just look at the exhaust manifold man, its the ONLY sensor in there... if you cant find it follow your exhaust down till you can.

P1060131.jpg

I've got aftermarket extractors, but the O2 sensor is in basically the same spot. You can just see the 2-bolt flange for the O2 sensor on the right hand side of the extractors, on the middle two pipes before the collector (on the stock headers it is after the collector, and pointing straight towards the front of the car)