selling to private party

shb

Hi Guys,

I want to know what procedures/forms are required when selling my car privately? What all do I need to do and what do I need to get signed or give out signed. Is a bank cheque good before I hand over the keys? What happens to my rego and insurance? I have rego till dec.

It helps if you mention which state you are in as it helps to make the reply more specific. It can also vary if you plan on selling it registered or un-registered. In general though, if you are selling to someone in the same state and selling it with registration:

- You need to obtain a Safety Certificate before selling it (not sure about other states, but this is the requirement in QLD)

- Then you obtain the appropriate registration transfer form available from your local transport authorities website.

- You as the seller complete the section of the form as required and provide your current registration certificate to the buyer. You then keep hold of the appropriate section of the transfer form.

- The buyer then submits the registration transfer form to you local transport authority and pays the appropriate fees etc.

If you sell unregisted, basically you just obtain a safety certificate if it's stated by your local transport authority as a requirement, then you can simply de-register your vehicle and sell it.

As for your insurance, that is not something you can transfer. Basically from the moment you sell your car, you call up your insurance provider and cancel it. It is then the buyers responsibility to sort out their own insurance.

As for when to hand over the keys, that is at your discretion. If they pay by cash, then you can pretty much hand over the keys once you have all the money. If they choose to pay by bank cheque, if you are completely trusting that they won't cancel the cheque after giving it to you, then you can feel free to hand over the keys. But what you should do is state that before you hand over the keys, you require the cheque to clear first. At this stage, you will probably be exchanging licence details just in case.

Alternatively, you can ask for a cash deposit of like 10% or there abouts and then when they give you that plus the bank cheque, you can hand the keys over. That's what the guy did when I bought my car. It's your choice on that.

It helps if you mention which state you are in as it helps to make the reply more specific. It can also vary if you plan on selling it registered or un-registered. In general though, if you are selling to someone in the same state and selling it with registration:

- You need to obtain a Safety Certificate before selling it (not sure about other states, but this is the requirement in QLD)

- Then you obtain the appropriate registration transfer form available from your local transport authorities website.

- You as the seller complete the section of the form as required and provide your current registration certificate to the buyer. You then keep hold of the appropriate section of the transfer form.

- The buyer then submits the registration transfer form to you local transport authority and pays the appropriate fees etc.

If you sell unregisted, basically you just obtain a safety certificate if it's stated by your local transport authority as a requirement, then you can simply de-register your vehicle and sell it.

As for your insurance, that is not something you can transfer. Basically from the moment you sell your car, you call up your insurance provider and cancel it. It is then the buyers responsibility to sort out their own insurance.

As for when to hand over the keys, that is at your discretion. If they pay by cash, then you can pretty much hand over the keys once you have all the money. If they choose to pay by bank cheque, if you are completely trusting that they won't cancel the cheque after giving it to you, then you can feel free to hand over the keys. But what you should do is state that before you hand over the keys, you require the cheque to clear first. At this stage, you will probably be exchanging licence details just in case.

Alternatively, you can ask for a cash deposit of like 10% or there abouts and then when they give you that plus the bank cheque, you can hand the keys over. That's what the guy did when I bought my car. It's your choice on that.

Thanx mate for ur detailed reply.I live in NSW.Like I said I have rego till dec,so its upto me if I want to xfr or not? Any idea how much a 2006 yaris sedan with 31000 on odo and good condition will fetch?Just an idea! Also there are a few small dents on roof caused by things falling off trees when parked outside.Is it worth it to have a car detailing done?Ta

Also is a cars age determined by it MY or year of 1st registration? Like my car is MY06 but was 1st registered in 2007.Thanx mate.