Transmission related question

Noodle Boy

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, but i have a question in regards to the transmission of my car. Recently i've noticed that when i put the car in my driveway in 'park' and the foot(hand) brake isn't engaged, the car would slide backwards slighty due to the slight slope then it would stop completely. Also, this would happen when i park my car at the shops where there's a downslope and i do the same thing, engage 'P' gear and let it slide instead of pressing the foot brake staight away. Is the transmission meant to be doing so? Because i've always thought that when putting the transmission into 'p' the car should just stay where it is, not slide back or forth slighty. Also, will it affect the transmission in any way?

Thanks in advance.

This has already been answered:

Clunks into gear when car is uphill

Exactly what Zerko said with respect to a locking pin. It's not actually the effect of any form of gear jamming up as has also been mentioned but its the locking mechanism that all the weight is put on. If you would like to learn more, have a read here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission11.htm

Anyways, in posts in the past as well, it has been said by others as well that the Aurion does tend to roll a little backwards after the park brake is applied. This is primarily due to the park brake design. My recommendation when parking on an incline would be as follows:

1) Come to a complete stop.

2) Put car in neutral

3) Engage park brake fully

4) Release normal brake slowly

5) Let car roll back/forward a little. If it rolls too much, you definitely have to get your park brake adjusted.

6) Once your foot is fully off the brake and your car is stopped completely by the park brake, put the shifter into Park.

Simplifying the mechanism, putting the transmission in park engages a small pin to lock the wheels from turning. As there are only finite ways to install, there will be some movement. There is also room for misalignment and to reduce wear by not loading up the pin and then engaging and disengage. Your method of parking is the worst load case for this pin (note the high force and noise when changing out of park), but I have not heard of problems with the system.

My suggested method is to apply the handbrake/footbrake while in neutral, until it stops the vehicle from rolling, then engage park.

Edit: beaten again by DJKOR :(

Edited by 450HP/tonne