Camry 2010 Model - Anti-Hijack - Is it possible

mourati

Hi to all,

New member here as have changed car badges recently :)

I have the current model Camry and would like to know whether the car central locking or BCM be programed so that the door locks will lock automatically after you have have got in the car and driven off.

Certain European & some Aust model cars have this safety feature and I was wondering whether its possible for the Camry? The other half wants a little extra safety / security and doesn't want to always press the lock button on the drivers door but prefers this to happen automatically as she drives off.

Any help / assistance is greatly appreciated - i'm based in Melbourne if I need to travel to someone for this to happen. Cheers to all and thanks for your time and hope some feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same type of car. Frankly, I find it no big deal to press the button to lock all four doors if I am in a precarious sitution (ie getting in my car in an empty train station carpark at 11pm).

I don't think you can customise any automatic hi-jack locking function. I'm not even sure if Australian Lexus models have that feature?

It is definitely common in the US, where crime is substantially higher in some (urban metro) areas than Australia, in general.

Alternatively, carry a gun in the glovebox to scare of any perps, and never, ever stop at the lights - just do a rolling slow down.

I used to live in the Bronx (New York) for 10 years as a homicide detective, before living in Jo'bury (South Africa) for 5 years as a security consultant.

Hi,

I have the same type of car. Frankly, I find it no big deal to press the button to lock all four doors if I am in a precarious sitution (ie getting in my car in an empty train station carpark at 11pm).

I don't think you can customise any automatic hi-jack locking function. I'm not even sure if Australian Lexus models have that feature?

It is definitely common in the US, where crime is substantially higher in some (urban metro) areas than Australia, in general.

Alternatively, carry a gun in the glovebox to scare of any perps, and never, ever stop at the lights - just do a rolling slow down.

I used to live in the Bronx (New York) for 10 years as a homicide detective, before living in Jo'bury (South Africa) for 5 years as a security consultant.

Martinj, you sound like a fairly well travelled bloke.

i agree that its not hard to press the internal central locking button before driving off. how about a car that drives itself? or wipes ur butt? j/k...

but, i dont think its legal to carry a gun in a glove box in australia? maybe if you have a license for a handgun (very difficult to aquire without proper reasons/excuses) and inside 15 locked boxes that are pressure welded to your car frame, keeping the ammo 15km away, as well as having it dis-assembled. By the time an assailant is opening your car door it'll be too late. OK, some of that is not true, but its damn close, and aussie firearm laws are a freakin JOKE.

Agreed. I was not serious about putting a gun in a glove box. You would need to install a gun safe in your car boot, which would make retrieval of the piece a cumbersome exercise in a real emergency.

bump...any one ??? is it possible

Perhaps you can enable the 'two stage' unlock feature, then at least if your wife forgets to lock the driver's door, the others are still locked anyway..

• 1 month later...

Hi,

According to the car manual that can be downloaded from internet, it can be done. But you need to have the intelligent tester thing. I am trying to contact a dealer how much they want to charge for that, but so far no response yet.

According to the car manual that can be downloaded from internet, it can be done. But you need to have the intelligent tester thing. I am trying to contact a dealer how much they want to charge for that, but so far no response yet.

If you are referring to the widely available US Gen 6 Camry one, then sorry to disappoint, but you may not be as lucky as you thought. Despite being available on the US delivered Camry's, the Australian spec Camry ECU differs and this is one feature that is not in there. The manual in question refers to the pre-facelift model, but I don't imagine the facelift version being any different.

If you are referring to the widely available US Gen 6 Camry one, then sorry to disappoint, but you may not be as lucky as you thought. Despite being available on the US delivered Camry's, the Australian spec Camry ECU differs and this is one feature that is not in there. The manual in question refers to the pre-facelift model, but I don't imagine the facelift version being any different.

Oh.. I see.. what a shame...

But thank you anyway...:)

Oh.. I see.. what a shame...

But thank you anyway...:)

Would be interesting to hear what dealers tell you though because I'm just going by what I have heard from others when they have asked local dealers.

According to the car manual that can be downloaded from internet, it can be done. But you need to have the intelligent tester thing.

US models, yes. No for Australian models, the option is not available in the customisation menu on IT/OTC.

Edited by pinzvidz