1987 HILUX ENGINE TROUBLE

Hi to all from another newbie

Own a 1987 hilux dual cab which is still running on what i think is its original motor ,with 300k on the speedo ,as a recent buyer i'm not sure of its exact history.

Timing is the issue or keeping it correctly timed as it seems to throw its self out soon after being set.Have been told the motor could be in need of replacement or rebuild .

Money is a concern so i need to know what might be the best cost option to get this otherwise top vehicle up and running as it should be .

Cheers Cookie

Gday cookie

More information is need to help you out, have a look on the compliance plate under the bonnet and get some exact details and the post them.

18r and 3 and 4y motors came out with #3 types of dizzies (all hilux/ 4runner motors)

1) points set ignition, they will through out if you look at them long enough.

2) electronic ignition, on a carby motor, 3yc and 4yc these dizzies had 1 or 2 vacume ports on them

3) electronic ignition on an efi 3yec or 4yec they had no vaume ports (not relevent to your situation)

have a look at this post ................. http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32099

The only thing that effects the cost effectiveness of a 4y is the basic principles of engineering and mechanics (and over vacumed). If you get any motor to breath properly (suck it in and push it out) you will increase performance and economy, it takes time, money, lots of research and smarts.

My 4y now makes 130hp and fuel is 8.3lts / 100ks and i am not finished yet. I have just finished doing a webber transplant on a 300k 87 4yc and she is a tired motor and the transplant revived my friends faith in his runner.

The crankshaft pully only has a 18mm bolt holding it on to the crankshaft and #4 , 10mm bolts holding the p/s pully and a/c pully onto the crankshaft pully. There is a key /key way to locate the crankshaft pully onto the crankshaft. If it was loose so would all the other pullies attached, besides it would only effect the timing mark on the pully in relation to the timing mark on the housing. Point 2 is that if this is the case it would only be apparent when you put a timing light on the engine and it won't throw the timng out. This is because the dizzy shafy gear when inserted into the block is located on a seperate idler shaft. and this shaft is attached to the timing sprockets and the cam and not the crank.